• View topic - Pat Ritter. Books
Login

  • Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books


An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
    Message

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 15, 2025 2:14 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'

Well I Never

Growing through my childhood in Roma, during the fifties, my greatest thrill to sit with my elders listen to their stories. Words ‘well I never’ a huge part of their vocabulary. Sixty years later these words resonate in my mind reminding me of these times.
Today our children and grandchildren wouldn’t have a clue how to listen to their elders sponging up information as we did, because no longer do we gather to share our lives unless through social media. How times have changed. Technology has taken over our lives in more ways we can ever imagined. I’d love to share my stories with my grandchildren and children. Each time I try all they comment: ‘you’ve told us those stories before’.
Each year takes us closer to the end of our lives. After my grandmother passed away I tried to keep her memory alive by writing her life story to distribute between her relatives as a keepsake. Some thanked me, only two to my memory, others didn’t reply. Her words ‘well I never’ will never be spoken again. Her person seated on her favourite lounge chair, smoking her pony cigarette, satisfied look on her face, without a care in the world.
If I mention the words ‘well I never’ to my children or grandchildren they’d think, I’d gone bananas. Next, they’d place me into a retirement home for the elderly. Whilst I have my true memory, write and publish my books I want to stay in my own home if possible.
Monthly I speak with my elder aunt, who is eighty-seven years old. Our conversation boarders on realism. She is very good for her age keeping fit and healthy. Our conversations evolve around family. She shares her stories of growing up during World War 11 plus further back to share her memories of those times. After we finish I’m inspired on how when one reaches their twilight years each enjoy what they do to make their lives more liveable.
These words ‘well I never’ repeated a million times during her youth because in those times relatives visited often staying for weeks at a time. Her younger life most precious because of her six sisters, my mother being one, plus warm loving parents. When she had the opportunity to listen to her elders speaking of their daily experiences she sat silent drinking in the flavours of conversation with the words ‘well I never’ used constantly.
Those days are gone forever. Whenever my children visit me, which is often, their only request is to ask me to do something for them. Never wanting to share their day nor their personal experiences. These words ‘well I never’ will die with the people who once spoke these words to share. We will never have these words spoken again in the way they used to be.
Word count: 479

... download OMR Stories 4 free @ https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
mzawf, Nevis, wired
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jun 24, 2025 1:56 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' -

The Lead Filled Sock Of Fate
All through my life I wondered how the lead filled sock of fate affected me. In many ways. I've been blessed to have lived the life I have. Whenever something unusual happens the lead filled sock of fate always pulled me through the disaster at the time.
To prove my point: when aged ten years old I lived in Roma. Walking home on a hot Saturday afternoon after attending a Boy Club Meeting a police vehicle pulled up beside me. The police officer asked if I wanted a lift home. With a nod I opened the door climbed inside. The police officer introduced himself Rollie Cole.
The lead filled sock of fate stepped into my life again at twenty-three years old while stationed in Queensland Police Force at Cunnamulla. One afternoon whilst on duty in walked Rollie Cole, the police officer who when I was ten gave me a lift home. At the time I couldn't believe me meeting this hero. The lead filled sock of fate worked.
Shortly after this time I met my wife. The lead filled sock of fate certainly clouted me on the head. My dream came true. We married moved to Stanthorpe. The lead filled sock of fate followed me. One evening on duty with a young police officer we attended a disturbance at a local hotel. In the laneway beside the hotel this young person relieved himself in front of a crowd. I went to arrest him, looked for my partner who returned to the police vehicle locked the doors.
Instead of making an arrest I allowed the person to leave. When I returned to the police vehicle my partner apologised. His behaviour not acceptable. We returned to the police station to have him please explain his actions.
The lead filled sock of fate stepped in again when I read in the local newspaper the death of the young person who I didn't arrest on the night. At his workplace he fell from a roof to his death. Not long afterwards the junior police officer who locked himself in the police vehicle committed an offence to be imprisoned. At this point in my life I never realised the lead filled sock of fate again helped me.
Many years later an incident happened when a deranged man placed a M1 Carbine Rifle to my forehead ready to shoot. The lead filled sock of fate quickly stepped in because after his command for me to leave. I left. Later when he finally surrendered, his Armory consisted of one hundred rounds of M1 Carbine bullets plus two hundred rounds of twenty-two calibre ammunition. I was pleased the lead filled sock of fate stopped this mad man from ending my life at thirty years old.
Twelve years on the lead filled sock of fate saved me again. This time my heart rate slowed to seventeen beats per minute instead of seventy beats. If I hadn't visited my doctor that night I would've gone to sleep forever. The lead filled sock of fate certainly took control of my life again.
Hopefully the lead filled sock of fate continues to take control of my life for I have too much living to do before I pass from this life.
Word count: 552
download for free @ https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
mzawf, Nevis, wired
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jul 04, 2025 1:54 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'
The Legacy

How does any human being leave a legacy? This question raised an important issue when my daughter said, 'Dad, Crimestoppers is The Legacy you leave behind.' I didn't understand why she said these words of wisdom.
Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. One Friday afternoon my boss stood beside me at the place where I worked in 1989. 'You were a detective, weren't you?' His question puzzled me beside he had knowledge I worked as a detective for most of my service as a police officer in Queensland Police Service.
Acknowledging him I was a detective he requested I visit the Inspector Neighbourhood Watch at Police Headquarters. The latest police initiative Crimestoppers to be introduced to the public. He recommended me for the position. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
At Neighbourhood Watch office, the Inspector handed me a video, 'go home, watch this, return here Monday morning. This is your baby.' His only words.
Upon watching this video of the establishment of Crimestoppers in America, I couldn't believe myself to be chosen to implement this programme for Queensland Police Service. After twenty years of working in the police this opportunity only came along once in a lifetime. An opportunity never to miss.
Monday morning arrived. No person was more excited about establishing this programme than me. Another detective, whom I never worked with joined our small team. My first instructions. 'Prepare a proposal by ten o'clock tomorrow morning in how you're going to establish this programme. Present your proposal to The Minister For Police at his office.'
I wrote probably the best proposal I'd ever written, making everything up as I went along. Victorian Police established Crimestoppers for their State in two years, New South Wales Police, eighteen months. I placed a lead time of six months to establish Queensland Police Crimestoppers.
Ten o'clock the following morning I handed my written proposal to The Minister of Police at his office for consideration. His words almost landed me in front of him on the floor. 'I agree with your proposal. I haven't got six months. Because of the upcoming Fitzgerald Inquiry, you have three weeks.' I picked myself up off the floor.
I said, 'If you cut the red tape, give me resources I need, I promise you I'll have Crimestoppers operating in three weeks.' I thought afterwards how I spoke to a Crown Minister this way. He agreed. To be honest The Minister did cut the red tape. That afternoon I presented a 'wish list' to the senior members of the Police Service. Everything I requested approved.
During the following three weeks, I worked my butt off, selecting four other staff, obtained a vehicle, office, equipment, plus computers. After three weeks, everything I wrote in the proposal completed. Crimestoppers Queensland launched by Channel Seven at Queensland Police Headquarters in an array of celebration.
Twenty-five years later I received an invitation to attend Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Dinner of Crimestoppers at Brisbane City Hall. I invited my two children to join me in the celebrations. During the night, I was interviewed by a Channel 7 Newsreader on stage before five hundred guests. This interviewer asked me how I established Crimestoppers Queensland twenty-five years previous. I repeated this story.
On our journey home my daughter said those prolific words, 'Dad, Crimestoppers is The Legacy you leave behind.' I still didn't understand her meaning of The Legacy.
Word count: 576
... download OMR Stories 4 free @ https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
mzawf, Nevis, wired
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jul 15, 2025 5:08 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'

The Mystery Lecture

Aged twenty-one years old I joined Queensland Police Force as a Probabary Constable at Petrie Terrace, Brisbane on 5th May 1970. Dressed in fatigues, fawn coloured trousers and shirt, starched so the trousers almost stood by themselves.
Thirty-six other Probabary Constables enlisted to become May 1970 Squad. Standing with my fellow Probabaries on the parade ground, a Drill Sergeant roamed between us shouting orders. Standing in front of me this Drill Sergeant bellowed at top voice spluttering spittle over my face. 'Am I hurting you son?'
'No Drill Sergeant.' I shouted at my top voice.
'I should be son because I'm standing on your hair. What's under your hat is yours whilst below is mine. I don't want to have any hair showing beneath your hat. Understand!' He shouted in my ear almost blasting my eardrums.
To make certain I looked smart on my first day I visited the barber to have my hair cut short. Little did I realise this Drill Sergeant had an arrangement for all Probabaries to visit the barber down the road from the Depot to have a regulation haircut to his standard.
Four months of training before being sworn in as a member of Queensland Police Force. Daily we marched around and around the parade ground to the beat of a drum plus echoing sound from Drill Sergeant bellowing in an Irish accent; 'left, right, left, right'. After marching, we attended lectures delivered in a classroom environment daily learning Police Duties plus Law.
Each Friday afternoon one hour before we stopped for the week Officer-In-Charge of Depot made this time 'The Mystery Lecture'. Without a conscious he pointed to one of the Probabaries to answer a question. On the first day he asked me a question. 'If you were standing on the corner of Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba and an old lady came up to you to ask directions to Holland Park. What would you tell her?'
I thought for some time before answering. First, I had no idea of Brisbane, nor Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba. What made this answer more difficult because I had no idea where Holland Park was. Pushing my chest out, I answered, 'I'd direct her to the nearest Tram Sir!'
Laughter rang around the classroom. Face of the Officer-in-Charge flashed red. His look at me wouldn't knocked me down if looks would kill. His answer, 'tell her to board a tram!' He screamed.
My mind filled with dread having no answer to his shouting. I went to be seated when he shouted. 'Don't sit down Son!' I wasn't his son. His demeanour raised to a point whether I was ever going to be sworn in as a Constable. 'I strongly suggest in the next week you find out where Ipswich Road Woolloongabba is; also, while you search; find out where Holland Park is so this poor elderly lady will be able to find her way home instead of taking a tram. Sit down!'
During the week I studied maps to find my way through Brisbane in case the Officer-In-Charge asked me a similar question. You wouldn't believe when we had 'The Mystery Lecture' the following Friday afternoon; I was paraded before the front of the class to be asked the same question as the previous Mystery Lecture. This time I didn't refer to any trams. Instead directed the lady to a taxi stand.
Word count: 566
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
Nevis, wired
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 15, 2025 12:29 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'
The Quest For Meaning
A movie 'Fields of Dreams' with actor Kevin Coster shows a farmer played by Coster who after planting a crop of corn a voice in the corn speaks, 'build it and he will come'. Throughout this movie Coster is driven by this message in the quest for meaning.
Instead of growing corn he builds a baseball arena. Ghost players from a past baseball team his father once played appear from the corn fields to play baseball. A message is delivered to Coster to seek out an author in New York to help solve the words, 'build it and he will come.'
His journey takes him to New York where he finds a retired author who he needs to take to the local baseball game. Whilst they're at the game a message displays on the screen only Coster and the author can read. Their journey continues across Amercia to find the person's name left on the screen.
Coster finds this person they need to speak with, a retired doctor. In his youth he wanted to play baseball with the same team. On his return journey home, the author accompanies him when they pick up a young hitch-hiker who wants to play baseball. All three journeys to Coster's farm when a baseball game being played between two ghost teams from a bygone era. The young hitch-hiker joins one of the teams.
Coster concluded his journey. Coster's father passed away years before Coster married not having met Coster's wife or daughter. Near the end of the movie Coster is seen throwing the ball to the catcher who is identified as Coster's father. A warm and wonderful movie. The quest for meaning is truly exhibited in this movie.
How can the quest for meaning be experienced in our lives? Two events happen to all of us. We're born, we die. These are facts. In between times we experience the quest for meaning. To explain an example of my life to show the quest for meaning.
In 2009 I discovered my quest for meaning by writing my memoirs. Before starting this task, I sketched on a A4 size paper in landscape commencing from most recent to as far back as I remembered of my life. I wrote bubbles of ideas joined by 'arrows. My mind developed a picture of how lucky my life had been.
The quest for meaning showed me various events in my life. Instead of following a certain direction this quest for meaning turned into a different direction. After watching the movie 'Fields of Dreams' I understood why Kevin Coster did what he needed to do to discover his quest for meaning.
Throughout my discover of the quest for meaning exploring highlights, an important event in my life discovered my ambitions to be a writer. This is a great discovery I learned to finally understand the quest for meaning.
Word count: 484
download 4 3: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 4
dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 22, 2025 2:57 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'

The Resolution That Failed

Throughout my life, I have believed in two standards – honesty plus trust. If one can’t be honest and trustworthy not much left in any relationship. I’ll share this story of ‘The Resolution That Failed’.
In 2004 Brett Lowcock, a local builder in Imbil constructed a carport for me. Most satisfied with his work a decade later I recommended him to build a bathroom and loungeroom in my daughter’s home. At the time from previous undertakings with Brett I was satisfied he would complete the task without many issues. I honesty trusted him to complete the task.
During this time, he worked on my daughter’s construction I asked him to sand and paint my front veranda plus repair a step. Because I was going away I paid him in advance $150.00 in cash to finish the job in my absence. We shook hands on the deal. I handed over the money. At the time, I totally trusted Brett to carry out the work. He promised me on my return he’d have the job completed to my satisfaction.
Returning from my holiday everything was the way before I left. Asking Brett why he didn’t complete the task his reply, ‘when I’m ready’. The penny dropped. The resolution that failed raised its ugly head in front of me. I handed my money to him in good faith believing he would complete the task on my return. I failed to identify Brett wasn’t honest nor trustworthy.
Now thirteen months later I had the work completed by another person to my satisfaction. On several occasions, I’ve approached Brett about his dishonesty and trustfulness. His reply not worth repeating in this story. I’d been taken in by a most dishonest person. Caught between a rock and a hard place I approached a police officer to report this crime.
Brett told the police officer he accepted my money in return for completing the task, however, hadn’t been able to complete the job. That resolution also failed. I thought about taking legal action, however for such a small sum of money the cost would out-weigh the hope of retrieving my money.
Karma plays a huge part in our lives. Many times, in my life karma has come through when another has betrayed my trust by not being honest. How would karma play a part in the life of Brett Lowcock? In my mind, I honestly believe I’ll never receive $150.00 from him. What strange events happen after the act? Each time I mentioned the name Brett Lowcock to anyone in Imbil their reply. ‘He’s not much good. Dishonest into the bargain.’
The penny should’ve dropped before I parted with my money. Remembering a couple of years before when he did work on my friend’s home she complained how Brett overcharged her. Like I wrote before my two standards in life are: trust and honesty. If you can’t trust another to be honest than what else is left.
I’ve tried a new strategy knowing Brett will never repay my $150.00; however, karma will play a part in our lives for a suitable resolution. Monthly I write a letter to Brett telling him he is a thief plus a dishonest person. I also mention karma will play a part in the resolution that failed.

Word count: 551
Free to download OMR Stories https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Sep 02, 2025 2:01 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'

The Virgin Father

My mind passes back to a trip my partner and I went on many years ago, ‘Stars, Spars, Outback Tour’. Instead of staying in motel accommodation, we camped on outback sheep and cattle stations.
Shortly after turning twenty-one years old I worked on a sheep and cattle property in far south-west Queensland. This latest adventure became different to anything I ever experienced before.
Country people are always friendly greeting us with warm country hospitality. First property we stayed overnight ‘Nardoo Station’ north of Cunnamulla in south-west Queensland. Not long after arrival our host took us on a tour of the property to familiarise us with this great country.
I’d seen most of this type of country a hundred times over, particularly, mulga scrub, open plains, Mitchell grass, until we came across a nest of Emu eggs in a clearing. Our guide stopped the bus for all to decamp and inspect this wonderland of animal instinct. All my travelling through this country, I never witnessed this sight before. Five large emu eggs in a nest with a giant male Emu standing nearby.
‘Let me explain to you about the Emu.’ The guide started to inform us all. ‘These eggs were laid by the female Emu, she left her nest. The male Emu sits on these eggs for six weeks until the chicks are born.’ I needed to close my mouth before flies entered.
‘A Virgin Father.’ These words I spoke aloud.
‘What do you mean, A Virgin Father’? The guide asked me.
‘Simple, the female Emu lays the eggs. The male Emu takes over making him ‘The Virgin Father’. I said in astonishment. This thought entered my mind when the male Emu stood near the eggs.
‘How do you work out he’s ‘A Virgin Father’? The guide questioned me. Obvious she’d become intrigued with my answer.
‘Okay, I realise they conceived the eggs before laying them. ‘The Virgin Father’ is unique because probably he is the first male I’ve ever seen to sit on eggs to produce his chicks. I’ve never witnessed a man pregnant. Have you?’ I explained in a manner-of-speaking.
‘When you explain how this happened in the way you have done. Yes, I agree, ‘The Virgin Father’ is a male Emu. I’ll need to keep this in mind to tell other guests.’ Our guide answered with a frown on her face.
‘You’re clever to point out this point.’ My partner whispered in my ear.
‘Don’t worry. I only thought of ‘The Virgin Father’ after the guide told us about the male Emu sitting on the eggs. I’m not clever.’ I finished with a smile spread across my face.
‘I think you’re clever.’ My partner replied holding my hand in hers. ‘You are my Virgin Father’.
‘I’m too old to be sitting on your eggs.’ I smiled.
Word count: 474
download OMR stories for free @ https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Sep 18, 2025 2:54 pm

How The World Ends
I have a dream! This dream is to win lotto. Weekly I play lotto games daily in the hope to win. Okay, let's say for instance I do win lotto. What would be my dream? To have a spare $1M my dream would be to own a racehorse. Not any racehorse, a special racehorse.
Bart Cummings, one of the greatest racehorse trainers this country has ever witnessed passed away handing down his training complex to his grandson James. A racehorse Bart trained to win the Australian Cup named So You Think. This stallion won over $8M during his racing career. So You Think stands at Coolmore Stud, New South Wales.
With $1M in my possession this amount of money will pay for a service fee to, So You Think hopefully to breed a colt foal. For this foal to be a champion racehorse a suitable mare of strong breeding to be mated for a better than average result.
After searching the broodmares of Coolmore Stud a suitable mare by the name of Independence Day came to light. Mating Independence Day to So You Think to produce a colt foal to name him Howtheworldends. Now to release my dream into the universe to make my dream come true. These dreams are fate and destiny mixed with a huge dose of LUCK!
Mating season for thoroughbreds commence anytime after September of each year. After joining So You Think with Independence Day result of the joining is eleven months Howtheworldends born in August 2018. From birth the foal is nursed by its mother for six months when the foal is weaned to join other foals born around the same period.
Howtheworldends reaches the age of a yearling building strength from running and playing with his mates. Turning twenty months old Howtheworldends is sent to a horse breaker to ready his forthcoming racing career. After being broken into race he is transported to James Cummings Stables in Sydney for training.
He is allocated a strapper who takes care of his every need. Daily brushing, walks, exercise to build muscle. James Cummings highly depends on information from Howtheworldends strapper to plan the horse's future for racing.
Howtheworldends becomes a champion like his father So You Think. His winnings take him from a maiden two-year-old to become one of the best two-year-old racehorses for the season of 2020. His winnings turn into $5M. His selling price $20M.
Would I part with him for $20M? Not in your life. Howtheworldends will go down in history as being one of the best racehorses ever bred and raced. Pages of history will show how he beat the best two-year-old horses in Australia and New Zealand.
Increasing his prizemoney from year to year extends higher than any other racehorse in history. His final feat to win the Melbourne Cup. His father finished third in the race years before. Howtheworldends goes two places better with James Cummings training him winning this great race.
This is my dream. If this was so simple.
Word count: 514
download one minute reads for free https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Sep 27, 2025 2:38 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories'
Have A Heart.

When I was eleven years old I worked part-time, mainly on weekends at a small grocery store in Roma, a country town west of Brisbane in which I grew up as a child. Thinking back to the period, the corner grocery store was then the modern Coles Supermarket of today. When the customer entered the store a huge counter trapped them from selecting the items they wished to purchase.
My role to select the items from the shelves behind the counter requested by the customer, place them on the counter in front of the customer and ask for the money to purchase them. When the money was handed over I deposited it in a cash register. These cash registers almost took up an entire section of the counter.
It was a Saturday afternoon, the store was quiet; the owner asked me if I wanted to choose an ice cream from the freezer. Ice creams were housed in a tall green coloured canvas ‘shippers’, we called them. This one had a cane frame, insulated with felt lining, covered with canvas and fitted with rope for fastening and carrying. Dry ice kept the ice cream frozen.
I undid the rope to open the lid and saw to my surprise a new type of ice cream. I knew most of the ice creams by name because if the customer wanted one I knew which one to get. This ice cream was recently delivered. After selecting the ice cream I placed it on the counter then quickly refastened the rope of the ‘shipper’.
Holding the ice cream in my hand it was something I’d never seen before and for sixpence was a good choice.
‘Is this a new ice cream?’ I asked the owner.
‘Yes, it came in yesterday and I want you to test it so you can tell people what it’s like.’
I ripped the paper from around the ice cream, held onto the small wooden paddle between my fingers, and had a good look before I decided to test it. It looked different to other ice creams I’d eaten. I finally crunched it between my teeth. First the taste of chocolate, thinly coated, the inside filled with vanilla ice-cream. We never had an ice cream like this one before and my taste buds liked the combination of chocolate and vanilla ice cream. It melted in my mouth.
‘What do you think?’ The owner asked.
‘It’s great – what is it?’
‘Hav-a-Heart’, he replied.
Fifty years later Hav-a-Heart continues to sell; far more expensive than sixpence.
Word count: 429
free download OMR http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Oct 07, 2025 1:32 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories'

What Do You Really Mean

My work as a detective in Queensland Police Service required giving evidence before a Judge and Jury. One investigation happened at Chinchilla, a town west of Dalby on the Darling Downs.
One night a handicapped male person entered the Chinchilla Hotel to have a quiet drink. Two young fellows in the hotel decided to tell this handicapped male they had a girl out the back. One coaxed the handicapped male to the rear of the hotel in the pretence a girl waited for him.
When the two walked to a dark area at the rear of the hotel the other youth in waiting punched the handicapped male to the ground, searched through his pockets, stole his money a total of $7.50c. They left the handicapped male laying on the ground at the rear of the hotel left the scene. My off-sider and I were given the investigation.
Speaking with the complainant, the handicapped male, his story clears of what happened. After recognizing both the assailants we took him to the local hospital for medical examination. Apart from bruising took him home.
Our blood pressure rose to a degree of exploding how any person would commit such an act on a handicapped individual, nor anyone for that matter. After radioing a Be On The Lookout For, a message came through to our police vehicle both males were apprehended at Goomeri. We arranged to meet the Goomeri Police half-way.
After exchanging both offenders to our police vehicle we returned to Dalby to question them. I shall never forget this investigation. I interviewed the first offender who sang like a bird telling the story of how they had been drinking most of the day at the hotel when the complainant entered the hotel.
His friend suggested they tell him a girl waited outside. When the complainant walked outside the other offender punched him, dropping him to the ground, rummaged through his pockets stole $7.50c. They left the complainant lying on the ground, found their vehicle then drove to Gomera when they were caught by the police.
My off-sider interviewed the other offender who didn't want to say anything only placing total blame onto his friend. He didn't sing like a bird but kept mute. Both were arrested and charged with Assault and Robbery.
Six months later both appeared before Honourable Reginald Carter, Judge and selected jury at the Supreme Court in Brisbane. I gave evidence first. One of the questions asked by the Defence Council I answered, 'not really.'
Honourable Judge Reginald Carter butted in and said in an authoritive 'what do you really mean detective?' If looks we daggers I would've been dead in the witness box. My brain froze. I couldn't think of an appropriate answer.
Honourable Judge Reginal Carter repeated the question, 'what do you really mean. Answer the question?' His abruptness from his chair frightened the daylights out of me. I mumbled something.
Finally, I lifted my chin and said, 'I'm sorry Judge Carter. I can't answer the question.' I kept silent.
Although this investigation happened almost forty years ago I still remember Honourable Justice Reginald Carter speak those words toward me, 'what do you really mean?'
Word count: 538
free download OMR stories : https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter



cron