• View topic - Pat Ritter. Books
Login

  • Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books


An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
    Message

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 13:

Writing exercise for this week: to tell a story from two photographs. First photograph depicts a family of three adults and three children dressed in their Sunday best. The other photograph depicts same three children standing beside a modern motor vehicle for that era 1950.
Good Ole Days

Our family returned from church. Grandfather wanted to have our photograph taken whilst we were still clean.
‘Come on everyone, stand together, Noel you drop on your haunches so you’re level with the children. Smile everyone.’ Grandfather snapped our photograph with his box brownie camera which he carried everywhere to take a photograph when he needed to.
‘Is that all Dad? We’ve got to start Sunday lunch. We know how you want a baked dinner cooked each Sunday with all of the trimmings.’ Gladys told her father.
‘Okay – you girls go and start lunch. I’ll take a photograph of the children beside the car. Shouldn’t be long,’ he finished, ‘come on children one last photograph before we wash up for lunch.’
Grandfather’s photography commenced after he received a box brownie camera on his tenth birthday. Cost of film became a problem because he could only take twenty photographs to one roll of film. After each photograph developed, some wouldn’t turn out to his satisfaction whilst others were priceless. He’d place the good ones into a photo album and leave many loose.
I’m pleased he didn’t want to take any more photographs because I didn’t like having my picture taken. Not only did I have buck teeth which stuck out, I didn’t want everyone gawking at photographs saying, ‘who’s the kid with the buck teeth.’ I felt embarrassed.
On this occasion I closed my mouth, placed both arms around my sisters’ shoulders, looked solemn and waited for grandfather to complete the shot. Relief ran through my veins after I heard the click of the shudder to complete the photograph.
My grandfather meant well, in his mind I was a beautiful child, even though I’m his grandchild. Whenever he had the opportunity to show off his grandchildren, he would show us off with delight.
Now I study these photographs, fifty years on, a tear trickles down my cheek to the memory of having my grandfather present on the day he took these photographs. I miss him and his box brownie camera. Imagine how Grandfather would react today with a digital camera. He’d go crazy.
CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642 TO PUCHASE MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER'.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Advertisement

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:13 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 14:

Hit & Run

‘Where’s my husband?’ The farmer’s wife muttered when she prepared dinner for her husband. ‘It’s been a couple of hours since he went to put the calf away – it’s getting dark.’ She told herself.
Taking her apron off and hanging it on the back of a chair she opened the screen door and shouted to her husband to come inside. She heard no reply. Their property joined two country roads, not often used only by local farmers like themselves.
Darkness gathered, she returned to the kitchen to obtain a torch and go to the cow yard to look for her husband if he had put away the calf for the night, so they’d have sufficient milk from the cow next morning.
No sign of her husband and the calf still with the cow. She became alarmed and again called in a loud voice for her husband. Still no reply, slowly she made her way to the side fence and opened a gate to the roadway.
Light from the torch she noticed a body lying on the roadway spreadeagled with its arms and legs wide as if nailed to a cross. She hurried to the body - her husband dead. How did this happen? She thought rushing to the still body, kneeling down to discover her husband’s lifeless body.
Screams came from low in her chest, her body quivered – how did this happen? She contained herself, stood and walked slowly back to the kitchen. She telephoned her neighbour to tell him her husband’s death on the road outside of their property would he contact the police and come over as soon as possible.
Police arrived to investigate the death - first thought a hit and run. Unable to discover the type of vehicle involved, preliminary investigations showed a vehicle may be coloured blue and by the state of injuries sustained to the deceased probably a utility.
Top state forensic scientist arrived to assist. His findings startled the authorities as to how the farmer met his death. Final outcome showed the farmer spoke to a neighbour who transported cattle into the sale yards earlier that evening. The driver stopped and spoke with the farmer at an intersection and asked the farmer if he needed a lift to the cow yard which the farmer declined.
When the driver left, the farmer changed his mind and without the knowledge of the driver jumped onto a tow ball positioned on the bottom of the cattle crate to hitch a ride for a couple of hundred metres. The vehicle gained speed and when the farmer jumped from the truck; his leg struck the road with such force to throw his body again the rear portion of the cattle crate thus causing his death.
The farmer died before he hit the road where his wife found him - a simple accident.
TO PURCHASE MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 15:

Knotty Lace & Fleshly Flow

On the first Tuesday of November each year in Australia the nation stops to watch or listen to the Melbourne Cup.
This year’s race no different to any other, amongst the twenty-four horses in the field two horses stand out most – Knotty Lace & Fleshly Flow. Which one will win and beat the other in this marvellous race.
Punters depend on form. In other words where did their horse run in their last few starts in racing? Knotty Lace won the McKinnon Stake, a form line to the Melbourne Cup run a few days later.
Fleshly Flow, trained by King Of Melbourne Cups, Bart Cummings, who trains in partnership with his grandson hopes Fleshly Flow wins to give Bart thirteen Melbourne Cup wins, a record for any racehorse trainer in Australia and the World for winning the most Melbourne Cups in one’s lifetime.
I remember attending Corinda State High School in Sub-Junior, aged thirteen years, with a hand held radio transistor glued to my ear listening to the Melbourne Cup during class. My mind focused on the race rather than on class. Around the bend, the announcer spruiked, Light Fingers ridden by Roy Higgins raced to the front crossing the line a length in front of the second horse. This was Bart Cummings first Melbourne cup win.
Some years later during my apprenticeship Bart won another Melbourne Cup with a horse named Light Fingers.
I remember standing on the floor of the factory when all machinery and workers stopped to listen to the Melbourne Cup which was broadcasted over the loud speaker system for all to listen.
Twenty years later Saintly ridden by Darren Beadman crossed the winning post first to give Bart Cummings another Melbourne Cup. This important Australian race belonged to Bart Cummings.
In his final years, he’s now eight-five years old and aging; this may be his last hope of ever winning another Melbourne Cup to make the number lucky thirteen.
No doubt his grandson will continue in the sport and who knows may win more Melbourne Cups than his grandfather has. If Freshly Flow wins next Tuesday, this will be a miracle in itself.
Here’s hoping Bart Cummings receives his lucky thirteenth Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday of November 2013. This would indeed be a blessing to a marvellous Australian icon.
TO PURCHASE MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 16:

Legend Of Gretna Green

‘We’re here to be married.’ Joe said to his partner of eight years, ‘we’ve travelled across the globe to be here, so now’s the time to try the knot.’
‘What about our children?’ Laura asked holding onto Joe’s hand, looked into his eyes, ‘they wanted to be at my wedding. They’ll be upset.’
‘We won’t tell them. We’ve been living in sin for the past eight years; I love you more than anything else in the world, so let’s marry here at Gretna Green.’ Joe held Laura’s hand, kissed her full on the lips.
‘If you want to, I love you more than you’ll ever realise.’ Laura smiled and held onto Joe’s hand tighter never to let him go.
Laura and Joe meet eight years before and fell in love. They decided not to marry but live together as partners sharing their lives with their children from different marriages. They’d each lost their partners before they met. Their meeting was meant to happen to bring their lives together.
Weekly Joe played ‘lotto’ at each game per week hoping to one day see his numbers drawn. One night his numbers did fall in the correct order giving Laura and him instant wealth beyond their dreams.
After sharing their spoils with their children they saved enough to travel the world and ended up in Scotland at Gretna Green.
Both stood over the famous old Blacksmith’s Anvil joined hands whilst the Blacksmith performed the ancient tradition of ‘handfasting’ ceremony. This ceremony had been practiced for over 200 years.
Joe’s face cracked into a wide grin, his heart almost jumped from his chest to know he and Laura were a married couples even though their marriage ceremony held in Scotland. The ceremony sealed with a kiss on the sound of the Blacksmith bringing down his hammer. The ringing sound heard throughout the village signified their marriage joined.
Joe and Laura both touched the Anvil which Legend tells us gives good fortune in the affairs of the heart.
CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642TO DOWNLOAD MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER'.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 17:

Life At Ninety

In twenty-five years time I will be ninety years old – if I live so long. Twenty-five years ago I was forty. I compare my life aged forty to my present day, so much has changed.
At forty, I was married with two children. Presently I’m widowed, still with two children, including three grandchildren. My son’s thirty-seven years old whilst my daughter will turn forty next month.
Twenty-five years ago technology only seemed a dream. Computers crept into homes, motor vehicles installed with air-conditioning, interest rates over 18%.
Twenty-five years from now computers will be obsolete compared with today’s computers. Our eyes will guide us to focus on various technology advances. Vehicles of tomorrow, devoid of a steering wheel and peddles, only a joy stick. They’ll drive themselves with voice recognition.
People will be growing older because of medical breakthroughs. Replacement hearts will be a dime a dozen. Groceries stores will be forgotten like the present corner shop. Goods will be purchased on-line and delivered to your door by a floating delivery vehicle.
Probably Richard Branson will be living on Mars commuting to earth to oversee his organisations. Perhaps another planet will be discovered by then showing human life to share knowledge and experience between living creatures on planets.
By the time I reach the age of ninety technologies replace the pacemaker with a model which should last forever.
Books will be interesting. In the here and now e-books (electronic) are downloaded from the internet. At ninety how books will be read. I see in my mind’s eye a hologram of a book which displays a screen showing a story with actors.
Weekly I play lotto, my dream to win first prize. Imagine my numbers coming up on my ninetieth birthday. What would I do with the money if there will be such a domination in twenty-five years time.
On my ninetieth birthday, my wish is to be healthy and wise beyond my years.
TO DOWNLOAD MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' CLICK THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 18:

Life Is Just A Footnote To Reality

During the week I was interviewed by Smashwords, a publisher, about being an author. Questions were asked; I answered each one to the best of my ability.
After the interview became public via a link to Smashwords website I attached the link to an e-mail and sent the message to each contact on my address book.
To my surprise I received a return e-mail from a dear friend who spoke of my life experiences and at the same time encouraged his e-mail contacts to forward the information on.
This friend highlighted events in my life which I’d almost forgotten, such as having a pacemaker implantation, being an alcoholic, reaching the heights in my profession. After reading these accolades my friend highlighted, this made me think of my life in general.
As far back as I remember life’s been one of fighting for what I want. Yes, mentors helped along the way, many times ‘doing it myself’; never once receiving praise or congratulations for these efforts from my loved ones.
I remember too well negative comments made by my father and close relatives pinpointing me ‘as an idiot.’
This badge of honour I wore with pride until almost forty years old I realised ‘I’m not taking this anymore. Who’s the idiot’?
This may’ve been the way things were done in the ‘good ole days’ to push young people to their limits by throwing negative comments to make them try harder.
Negativity became life and a footnote to reality of what became my future. I remember my sister’s wedding my father said, ‘you’re nothing but an idiot’ to my face. This comment hurt my feelings deep into my soul.
Each time any person praised what I didn’t understand what they meant. Were they having a go at me or not, not being used to being praised – I didn’t understand how to react.
Writing’s been the goose which laid the golden egg. Each time I write I share with my reader feelings, honesty, stories, and adventures of my life.
Now I need not worry about what other people think, I don’t need to carry the burden of negativity from others. It’s up to me to take on board what I want to believe and if I believe I’m a good person then so be it. I’m not an idiot as others would think but a good person who wants positive things to happen.
TO PURCHASE MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 19:

Loopy Minds

What about the jockey thrown from the horse in the saddling enclosure before the running of the Melbourne Cup this year? Obviously the horse had a loopy mind.
As far back as I care to remember I’ve held a fascination for horses, particularly racehorses. I’ve been lucky enough to be associated with all kinds of horses, ranging from different breeds to the miniature horse.
The racehorse stands out in my mind as the one which ‘sets my blood boiling’ when they race. Through my teenage years my life spent near and around stables of racehorses. Saturday I attended race meetings because I loved horses racing. This period remains in my mind re-living the excitement of ‘waging’ a winner.
My dream to own a racehorse wouldn’t be realised until many years later. This dream came true after my wife purchased a colt from a thoroughbred horse breeder. This colt became our first racehorse.
Daily my wife trained him to a degree he won at his first start in a race. She possessed a gift for knowing horses. Myself I was thrilled to watch the horse race and win.
Around and around the track the horse worked to make me wonder if by looping the track as often as they did, didn’t give them ‘loopy minds’. What thoughts must’ve gone through their minds when they trotted around the same track day after day?
Years later my wife excelled in horse training to a degree she decided to ‘do everything herself’. She transferred to ‘Harness Racing’. This sport excelled her skills to such heights she tasted success at the major ‘Harness Racing Complex’ Albion Park, Brisbane.
Success became her mantra. She not only owned the horse, trained and also drove it in races competing against her male competitors. Actually on her first official drive in a race at Redcliffe Paceway she realised her dream by successfully winning the race owning, training and driving her own horse.
Having realised my dream of owning a racehorse plus over the many years of racing, owned, bred and raced many to success. There were many which didn’t make the mark to compete little wonder to win.
In the end my opinion stood with my thoughts of racehorses must experience a ‘loopy mind’ because of the times they loop the racetrack.
TO PURCHASE MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 20:

Lucille

Before I began to write this story my research took me to a video clip of American country and western singer Kenny Rogers singing his song ‘Lucille’ before a live audience in Canada. Words and tone of the song resonated in my mind well after viewing the video. I enjoyed Kenny Rodgers singing this particular song I watched the clip a second time.
Each word told the story of a woman sitting at a bar having a whisky with a man she recently met. Kenny Rodger’s raspy voice told this story of looking in a mirror and saw a huge man with calloused hands walk up to the woman, look at her seated and said the words, ‘you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with four hungry children and a crop in the field, we’ve had some good times, worked through the bad times, this time the hurten won’t heal, you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille’.
Echoes of the words rung out amongst the audience joining Kenny Rodgers with the chorus, my throat thickened with pride; my heart beat a little faster when thinking of the story Kenny Rodgers sang. In my imagination a tall man, distressed, worried and confronted when his wife left him to be with another man.
I couldn’t help but think of how a person could write these lyrics and not have experienced the story of the song. Kenny Rodgers tone of a country and western raspy voice told this story extremely well which proves after thirty-six years the storyline’s popular today as in 1977. I think only he could’ve done the song justice.
For the next couple of days and nights this song repeated in my mind with visions of meaning to the words. Questions erupted in my mind when the song constantly ran over and over. I couldn’t get the tune or Kenny Rodgers voice from my head.
I shouldn’t worry about the words however for a reason unknown to me the words with the story kept repeating. I tried to think of other songs Kenny Rodgers sang, like ‘The Gambler’ – didn’t help, this song ‘Lucille’ encased in my mind repeated until I’d had enough.
A question repeated in my mind, ‘did Kenny Rodgers go through this relationship to sing from his heart?’ I don’t know.
HAVE YOU HAD A LOOK AT MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER' - CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 21:

Magic Moment

All through my life I’ve experienced many magic moments including marriage, holding my first born child, publishing my first book, however I think the best magic moment began on a Friday afternoon when my boss tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘you worked as a detective – didn’t you?’
‘Yes – what’s this all about?’ I answered.
‘Go down and speak with the Inspector at Neighbourhood Watch. He wants to talk to you about a new programme for the Police Department. I recommended you.’ He walked away.
I visited the Inspector at Neighbourhood Watch, he handed me a video tape, ‘take this home. Start here Monday morning,’ he commanded pointed a finger toward the door.
The video tape – the birth of Crimestoppers, I couldn’t believe my luck. This opportunity only came along once in a lifetime. Detective Greg MacAleese commenced the programme in America. Victoria and New South Wales Police Departments already adopted the programme, Queensland next.
Monday morning I found Crimestoppers to be ‘my baby’. I had total control over conception and birth. In less than twenty-four hours I presented a proposal to The Minister of Police with a start and launch date.
Victorian police established their programme in two years whilst New South Wales eighteen months. I proposed six months. Whilst the Minister agreed to this period, his demeanour showed differently. ‘I haven’t got six months – I want it up and running in three weeks.’ My jaw almost hit the floor.
I took the bit between my teeth and said, ‘if you cut the red tape and leave me to do my work, I promise to do my best.’
‘Don’t worry about ‘red tape’, I’ll send a message to The Commissioner to give you what you need.’
True to his word my ‘wish list’ was complete and I was given full co-operation with no interruptions. Staff of six including myself completed the Crimestoppers team. To keep the process simple each caller received a unique identification number. Information recorded onto a database afterwards discriminated to the relevant police district for investigation.
In three weeks, true to my word, Crimestoppers was officially launched at Queensland Police Headquarters. When the Minister officially launched Crimestoppers I felt a magic moment. We’d done it!
Television programme ‘Australian Most Wanted’ advertised crime and asked viewers to contact Crimestoppers Queensland to help the fight against crime in their community. My baby grew from a small idea to twenty-four year old adult and still growing.
HAVE YOU PURCHASED MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER'? HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642. ENJOY!
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 pm

'Captivating OMR Stories' - Page 22:

My Life As A Politician

With the upcoming Federal election less than one month away I’m in full swing. My name’s Kevin Rudd. I’m Prime Minister of Australia and member of Australian Labour Party.
I love the Australian Labour Party whose roots sprung from ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’when thousands of shearers in this country went on strike for improved working conditions and better wages.
Are you aware ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’ is credited as being one of the factors for the formation of this powerful political party? The Tree of Knowledge; 200-year-old ghost gum in Barcaldine, Queensland, regarded as the birthplace of Australian Labour Party (ALP) because the town was the headquarters of the 1891 Australian Shearers Strike where policy and decisions were made.
I’m proud to be Prime Minister of Australia to serve at its highest level to make it the best in the world. Luck has been on my side to be Prime Minister of this country twice, once elected by the people in my campaign ‘Kevin in 07’ and recently selected by my parliamentary colleagues to again take the highest position.
This election will be fought on the economy. Is there sufficient money to efficiently operate? Yes – we do! Soon as I’m elected by the wonderful citizens of Australia I will increase taxes to cover costs.
Like our previous Prime Minister who promised not to include carbon tax if she was elected, broke her promise not soon after her installation as Prime Minister to include carbon tax. I promise you I will abolish carbon tax and rename it another tax but people of this country will be unaware as long as taxes paid and the economy improves.
I admit fault with helping Australians to ‘get back on their feet’ after global financial crisis struck showing most countries had insufficient funds to operate. I implemented ‘bats’ program, not those flying ones, the ‘bats’ in the ceiling of Australian homes to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter; something to do with the environment and global warming.
This project became a total disaster with the loss of four young Australians fatally injured, houses burnt to the ground. I take total responsibility and publically apologise to the parents of those boys who lost their lives and to the people who lost their homes.
Our indigenous people, I apologised on behalf of all Australians for reconciliation so all Australians can be one. Come to think about how our indigenous peoples were treated from first settlement in this great land, it’s a wonder they didn’t sue the government for the untold atrocities bestowed on them since settlement. Our debt would be much larger had they sued the government. I’m pleased they didn’t.
When elected, I promise to spend more money, increase our debt and make every Australian rich beyond their dreams. Vote for me – I’m Kevin Rudd!
HAVE YOU DOWNLOADED MY LATEST BOOK 'THE SHEARER'? HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642. A GREAT AUSSIE YARN SET IN 1800.
User avatar
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Brooloo - Queensland - Australia
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2044 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter