• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 82:

JUNE 13: Have been in Hosp again for past mth with malaria. Was kept in the extra time with an enlarged spleen. The normal treatment for Mal is five days owing the shortage of quinine. I was on quinine for 26 days & also 30 gms of iron. It is a very bad place to be now for food is just slow starvation rations. Days food ¾ of pap breakfast ½ of green water & small rissole for lunch & ½ hash ½ greens & small rissole for tea. Was lucky to have bit of oil to use which was big help. Now weight 8st 4lb. Big happenings since past mth. X7 have moved & 8 standing by which is 3000 men gone away on work parties on various parts of the island. 1500 Dutch & English have come in from Palembang. In a filthy state. They have been working on drome there for 18 mths & looked as if they had not washed in that time. They smell same as we did when we came down from Thai – were not short of money for the party had ¼ mill dollars between them from trading clothes & black market. Journey took 5 days as deck cargo. Food appeared better than in most cases but the spirit among men absolutely rotten. The Dutch appear to be 80% Javanese. A doctor “Dutch” when he arrived in the camp was not allowed to practice here & was told he would have to face a charge of assisting the enemy after the war & would very likely be shot. He committed suicide two days later. The work which the parties are doing in town & various other places is mostly A R B work. Dutch force is moving away this week to work on Semarang. Things very quiet here but all very hopeful. The prices of canteen stuff has jumped up again. Coconuts which are raffled at 3 bucks can be sold for 10. Oil ½ measure per man, tapioca once at 3.40 Gula 16 $. Everyone is perpetually hungry now, even the Nips to a certain extent. Things seem to be in state of climax & anti. Ones hopes are high only to be dashed to the ground & leave everyone in a state bordering on despair. Most of the work around the place except for the gardens & maintenance of camp is just made by Nips to keep the men occupied. The camp seems to be in nature of base where sick & partially fit men stay for most of the fit men are gone away & one party of B2 men went away to do the essential jobs around the camps on the island to enable the fit men to be forced to go to work. I still think this is the best camp & I have the best job on the place. We celebrated our 12 mths on the job yesterday with a fowl given by Van. It has been fed on scraps which we have collected from about the place. It was the most delicious thing I have tasted since I have been P.O.W. & can imagine how I will enjoy my food when I get out of here. We also had 2 lbs tapi & sweet bucks besides our rice. In all a very good meal. Today I am amazed to get a big fish head which I fried with some tapi & had another very good meal so we are doing very well for ourselves. Food is the one essential in life I am sure. If one is half starved & not getting the proper nourishment to feed the body then one has no will of ones own he is unreliable & absolutely useless. I know because last week I was in a very morbid condition & now with this extra food I feel almost 100%. Then again when things are going bad & one expects a little help from those whom he has befriended then he finds out how much he is thought of & who. I think I have got one in Jim but Pete & Reg are not so hot after all. A friend is not if he is not there when needed.
JUNE 20: X 8 & 9 parties standing by to go to work party. Then party of 1000 to go away. No in gaol 4000 & in camp 7500. Was reclassified for work party A but do not know if I will be going. Hope Taka keeps us going. Party of 600 (or 1000?) for K.L. Others various w p around Singa. Have been doing lot of digging in garden which is not looking its best after 5 wks of very dry weather. Am feeling much better since I have been back on job which shows that a man is only what goes down his neck. We celebrated our 12 mths as a party on the 12th with a cock which I cleaned & Van cook. We also had sweet pots tapi. Best meal I have had in P.O.W. camp & something to look back on. Have had green Kang mostly every day & one day had good meal of egg fritter fried with few sweet pots. Tapi has made its appearance in our canteen at 3$ lb it has been in officers for six mths at 2.40 but we were not allowed to buy. Now it is so abundant that the officers cannot buy & it is going bad it is old here. Provision is made in cook house for cooking. Blachong has been on issue two nights & we get $1 for each meal. Most unusual. White bait @ 28$ Gula 16$. Peter has been in trouble & McLeod put him in which he had no business. Peter got 14 days restrictions. Jack Smith out of kitchen for stealing. 14 days C & 14 R. Got out of it by volunteering for party. Nips had unusual parade on 18 with the flag half mast. Indians in lot of trouble week ago & number placed in gaol. No Indian guards. No Indians in gaol yesterday. Indian guard again. Looks like demonstration of loyalty & most of Palembang party gone away. Lieutenant flitting around making good fellow of himself. Always appears to me to be slumming when he visits us. I suppose as senior next to Buck he has to come but I would rather he didn’t.

JUNE 1: ’45 (think it should by July): X 10 moved to No 2 camp. X 8 & 9 standing by. Had 2 letters from Eva this batch of mail. Jan & Feb coming very slowly. Man went through 2 days ago has not been caught yet caused deal of concern among Nips. Taka said he had saved the life of previous escapee but could not hold out great deal of hope for this one. All Indians moved from beach into part of gaol alleged trading with Red X milk but think things are getting close & beach defences needed. X 10 supposed to be going to K.L. with Taka. Have been very busy digging & manuring garden. Good rain & hope it keeps up. Prices of canteen goods still rising. White bait 28$ lb prawns 24, Towgay 48$ Cigars which previously were 50 now 1.40. Most smokers are buying stalks which are 25. Officers still up to their tricks. One caught going through gate with 24 lb tapi & 30 ozs Blachang which his connections had bought inside gaol. Most officers not showing up too well even now. Place is getting more easy for soon now 3000 in gaol 1500 in hosp & 1200 officers in their area. I think eventually we will all be enclosed in gaol. Man who shot through left 2 notes. One to Camp Com saying he was going to meet the Eng forces & the second to his wife. He is known to be screwy. Playing a bit of bridge some evenings with Jim & I Stevens. Passes time away well from parade time until bed. Getting large number of greens now but same amount of rice & am afraid on such rations would not be able to do much work. The light duty diet out at Hosp is causing great deal of concern. The patients get ½ pp pap 3 times a day & drop of green water in afternoon with the result that large number are getting beriberi which is only natural for they only get rice. The position there is very serious.

Chapter 25

JUNE 4 (Should be July): Independence Day. Nothing of interest here but believe pretty good elsewhere. X8 of 200 gone to Ford Works. Want more tomorrow. Whole island in state of activity defensively & most of the parties are working on bunk holes, trenches & tunnels. McLeod in strife. Put an act on with his back & had to be carried to Hosp was discharged following day just nicely to miss the party. Squad asked that he should not take a job again. Forgot to say anything about Palembang crowd who came here 6 wks ago. Have been working for 18 mths on drome there & had rough time there although not as bad as Thai business. They were mostly Dutch of Javanese type & few Eng. They had been on ship for five days & smelled horrible. I suppose same as we did when we came from Nth. Most of them were in rags having sold their clothes. 1500 men had 25,000 guilder between them from BM. Lot were just wearing torn clothes or bag strides. Most of them are gone now on the parties the main one being for them, selection. They were all given their RX issue over a period of weeks. Food has improved slightly since parties have moved but lacks quantity. Mostly rice & greens with very small amount of whitebait. RX has cut out of course 14 days ago but the quantity was so small & spread over long period that we have not really missed it. The best that can be said is we had a good taste of what we will get on our release. The going of the parties did not cause much stir or excitement. Men are very casual about it. Thoroughly browned off is the best way to describe it. They have absolutely no interest in it & take everything as a matter of course knowing that nothing can be done about it. The feeling is that it is only a matter of weeks.

JULY 11: ’45: Have just been through my letters all from Eva. Am missing 7 from ’42 until Feb ’44. Feeling very disconsolate & wish the war here would soon end. Taka has gone to rejoin his unit at B.T. in Engineers. I met him on his own on last day & he said in very deep but affectionate voice Goodbye George. I am not Pro Nip but he is one who I would go out of my way to help in a jam. He has been very good to our party of 4. Lingh Miura has taken over but he seems to be very impersonal but Saito if anything has become more personal. Yesterday he was in great humour laughing & joking & today he was around in his carpet slippers. A few days he remarked on crust thinness touching his cheeks & body & wanted to know why. Explained that he had worms. Gen said he must eat more but did not provide or say how we could eat more. We all have worms more or less. Ern passed one 13” long. Newey finished when Taka went & Col Dillon has taken over. We are back to Mil law now. Newey was ruling under offences against commands which means anything or nothing & laws & rules can be made up as he goes along. He was supposed to get back to No Admin lines but it was found that he was not wanted so he is in with couple of Maj Maura making inspections in officers lines found Darmi with not permitted. Yet he has been instrumental in getting me 28 days & 28 R for same offence. Tested our tapioca today & found 4 lb on one plant. In couple of months time will be very good crop. We are getting green stew each day & some rice & stew from Nips each morning so we are keeping our pecker up. It is poor day when we do not get something but it is case of struggle for existence whole time.
TO DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: Image
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 83:

AUG 9: Had cable from Eva on 4 of month & answered it immediately. Was not dated but very pleased to hear so recently & the answer will let them know that I am well. The cable was just bare 25 words & except that everyone are well, no other news. Col Dillon has started a scheme whereby all men in camp can go on 300 grm rice each day instead of on H.D. All watches in the camp care & those given up by officers are to be exchanged for rice at the rate of approx 2 bags of rice to 1 watch. This will allow us to be on H.D. rations for 3 mths & if tonight’s news reg. R is right then we should be free by then. The watch racket must be run by the Nip ordinance & of course Murva is getting cut from it because owing to inflation money is worthless & rice can only be obtained by barter. It will be very good thing for camp but not so good for watch owners. The only recompense these get is an official receipt of valuation in sterling for which they can have after the war the full value. The bonds will be negotiable & can be sold legally for Nip dollars within the camp at presumably the rate of 8$-1 pound or less. The food here in camp is very poor now with the Nips supplying the rice & little maize & veg. Our garden supplied 99% of veg last month. The amount of fried fish is very small. Only about 10 grammas each day. Canteen has just about finished. Practically nil coming in but a new black market has sprung up officially as far as we are concerned & semi as far as Nips it is believed. A grass trailer pty go to Kampong each day for grass & a chin sell them large quantities of foodstuffs inc oil, blachang, tapi & sago, flour, sugar etc. Oil 10$ Black 50$ sugar 50$ & other fantastic prices. The reason given is that we have hundreds of times more money in camp than can possibly be from pay & Comm will not allow more than pay to go through canteen so this is very good outlet. Hundreds of thousands going out each week. Very few cigars are coming in at 80c. Very small & large amount of stalk is being smoked. The last two lots of stalk have been more leaf than stalk at 35c & it is believed that the Chows are doing this little good on purpose. Am attending classes on Hydroponics & farming & music which all help to pass the time of an evening. 28 Lightening were over last week a most thrilling sight for all & we have a visitor almost daily.

AUG 11: ’45: The day at last. The one we have been waiting for 3 ½ yrs. The bird got it last night but I did not know until this morning. I woke at 7am & lights all on & the whole place seething like a bee hive. No shouting but everyone in groups whispering the likelihood of what would happen. It appears that the Emperor in compassion on mankind has assented to conditions of Potsdam Conference provided that the succession to throne of Japan is guaranteed. There was cheering & demonstrations in all the big cities of the world. It was business as usual with us today although I fancied an undercurrent in actions of Nips. They have all become trench & park hole conscious & even we have to fix up the holes in the garden to detriment of same. Had very good stew in evening to celebrate & feel well satisfied inside tonight. Col Dillon congrat. all men on the way in which they conducted themselves & said that nothing official was known but we would have to be very careful in conversations. If it did leak out to Nips that we know everything then in 3 instances on parties the Nips themselves have told the parties that all is over & one Korean shook hands with patient & said that Korean & Aust free sama sama. It appears that there is a clause in Pots Con about molesting P.O.W. & said that it was impossible to get in truck with distance of outposts & let them know before Monday 10 – 11 so we will still be P.O.W until then.

AUG 13: '45: Very quiet day & time passing very slowly. Everyone experiencing anti-climax. It is impossible to sustain an emotion for very long in our state of health. It is too exhausting & when the officers heard the news Friday night they behaved very childishly so on Sat went through on a good deal of garden produce. Col Dillon had to speak in very strong terms to them. He pointed out that the O.R.’s in gaol building knew several hrs before them & there was no disturbances whatever. In view of the complete ignorance of Nips who are studiously avoiding the subject any disturbance would lead to a great deal of trouble. The Nips are still negotiating with watches. They refuse to change for rice but are trying to barter tinned goods & sugar but as this would not benefit the whole camp this was not acceptable. P party went to work as usual yesterday & reported everything was quiet. It is thought there was a big conference of Nips in town as to action of Jap war minister & I believe our fate was very much in balance. We are now getting 2 oz extra of rice which makes the evening meal up to 1 pt rice or ½ of hash & rice. We are cooking up some very good stews outside now & am losing that starved feeling. I think tonight something will be finalized & we will know one way or another in the morning.

AUG 14: ’45: Had the official unofficial news last evening 3 pm that Emp had accepted terms. It was astounding the changed atmosphere in the gaol. Everyone had grins & smiles up & I was told by complete strangers everywhere & before I got to our room Jim & I about turned & went back out to the garden & picked up some tapi which we had left out there for the morrow. We thought we would not go out again perhaps. There was ¼ pt rice extra for the evening meal but most men were so excited inwardly that they could not eat. Of course we have not been told by Nips yet & we are finding it very difficult to carry on in normal manner. Have finished the last bed in garden & everything looks very nice, but I am afraid a bit of a mess being made with the bunk holes being dug.

AUG 15: '45: Was told that everything was completed at midnight & at 8.15am just before going to work was told some of the 8 which complicated the Emp signing. Nips had a concert in Moon St using the props & instruments confiscated from us. Very heavy rain this morning but went to work as usual. New Nip guards not Korean came into the camp last night & this morning. Big parade for Nips at 12/7 when they were told that the Emp had ordered them to lay down arms. The Koreans seemed very pleased with themselves. A feeling of exhilaration pervades the place & everyone are happy. Emp was supposed to have broken down in his speech & will repeat at 4pm. Med classification in evening, my paper being marked T.Black Jack has all sorts of schemes up his sleeve for getting AIF together & leave to see around the place. I think BJ will be in someone else’s hands same as us. Had big meal with Gibb & Jim on our friend tapi with our evening meal of 1 pt rice ¾ stew & rissole.

AUG 17: '45: Still awaiting our release & feeling very impatient. It is a week since we first heard the good news & the whole thing seems to be in the nature of a very good dream & we are beginning to wake to the old life of P.O.W. which is a very bad nightmare. We are all eating our reserve supplies & nothing happens so that we are constantly worried if we are in for another thin time. Of course we know that ships are racing to our help but we also know that these papers have not been signed between the Emp & the Allies. The Nips are keeping up a pretence that they do not know & we kid to them we do not know & all the time we know that they know we know which makes things easy for them to carry on but damned hard for us to hold our feelings. Of course we know most of the Koreans are very pleased that all is finished & some tell you. Up at the guard hut yesterday one Nip, We No 1, & a whole chorus said You No 1. They are all very interested in the place going over now & I think they expect things to happen to place. Still getting plenty tapi and more food than I can eat every night. Van made a tapi cake which was very good. We have fried tapi on palm oil with fried greens every afternoon. Tonight I am invited to a P party high supper in which believe we have some sort of cake & sweet coffee all of which is a great rarity & must be appreciated. We are in state of suspended animation wondering what is going to happen tomorrow. We have to dig 15 lbs tapi for Gen’s kitchen each day but when we took first lot down yesterday they would have nothing to do with it. I think they believe we have poisoned the stuff. Last Tues night was fight between Koreans & Japs between which relations have always been strained. 2 Nips died today so I would say the Koreans won.

AUG 18: '45: Big day today for Nips. Burning all papers among which I saw the Non Escape forms. This evening 3 pm Saito addressed trps & told them that war had finished. The Koreans were rather pleased although they did not show it in public. Aeroplane went over at 1 pm & the AA opened up on it. Went to town on tapi & again did not feel like tea. On coming from work Sentry told me war over & all men go home. He did not seem to be worrying much. X8 came back tonight after 6 wks at Jurong on tunnel work. Did not seem to have had bad time but pleased to be back. Have had to work long hrs starting at 8 am & fencing up to 9 pm. Just a matter of waiting impatience now although everyone is in very high spirits. All vehicles are being taken into huge parks all along Bukit Timor.

AUG 19: '45: What a day. I still cannot analyse state of my feelings. Went off to work as usual & found some Nips friendly but the most ignored us. Had big cook up this evening & brought in plenty tapi & rice & gave to number of chaps who seemed to want extra. All parties coming back from Singapore to gaol & everyone says it is just like coming home. 1800 men came in today. Gen Saito sent for Col Dillon & told him that war was nearly over & what did he want. Dillon asked for Outram Rd patients which he got late this evening. Asked for Red X 12000 odd came in today & will be on 1 parcel for 20 men every day for while. Asked for six wireless sets. Wasted order for present. Asked for entertainment for troops, waived for present. Still under Jap control externally but internal on our con. Nips stay here until New Admin take over. Korean O told me he had been virtually P.O.W. since he left Korea 3 ½ years ago & he would be pleased to be going home. All outside parties cease except cropping of gardens. This camp will cease to be P.O.W. on Tuesday & will become con camp Inf morning 2 area we are staying here. Went to Church this evening & felt very pent up. There does not seem to be any outlet for our emotions. We have been repressed so long. For the past week we have been just living from day to day & although we are not actually free we are so much more so than we have been for past 3 ½ years that even to have just the bare news has been too much for us. I feel terribly churned up inside & feel I want to shout. It is going to be a completely new life into which we are going & I do not know how we will all react. This place is like tinder & everyone is gradually raising to an emotional peak & it is very interesting to see just how we will all react. A pkt of cigs Chester & Camels have been issued to all men & the aroma of Virginia instead of stalk & Perak is as immense. The poor Nips have nothing to look forward to whereas we have everything. All I want now is to send a cable home to Eva saying that I am OK. Casualty lists are to be sent home when first warship arrives in Singa & I am afraid there will be a lot of heartbreak when the news does get home. Our casualties have been very high. Higher even than most people at home realize. Our condition here also is very poor & it is to be hoped that we respond to the good food quickly so that we will not present a very bad spectacle to our people. Last spectacle of Nips today. Was General Saito himself outside parade ground with a long pole staring at the ashes of his papers which he was supervising. He did not seem to be greatly worried & could still laugh at some joke or other. Goodnight to a wonderful day & Thank God I have been spared to live through it all. I feel as though I have been through Hell & only for the Grace of Him I would have gone where almost 50% have gone.
TO DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/591980.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 84:

Chapter 26

AUG 21: The pent up feeling is gradually going & I am feeling almost normal again. We have been repressed so long that we have almost forgotten to act & live normally. Our wants primarily is food & that is being satisfied gradually although with the huge number concentrated in the gaol area I think there will always be a shortage besides the kitchen will not be able to cope with the number. Eventually 15,000 will be here. Where normally would be perhaps a 1000 at most. All the parties are returning, the last today perhaps. Some have had hard times & some not so hard but all tell of the tremendous amount of tunnelling which has been done on the Island which points to the fact that we are lucky the war ended as it did for most of us would have been killed had there been fighting on the island. The position here is the same as ever. All are waiting for the new governor & trps to arrive. A little fighting has broken out among the Indians in Singapore & I think the city will be a very unhealthy place for the next few days. K are seen about the camp without arms & looking very happy. The food yesterday the first of the Red X was very nice but still light. ¾ of pap with little milk & few raisins & small douver for breakfast, ½ hash lunch & ¾ hash with little tinned meat ¾ veg stew, choc cup & salmon pastry for tea. We cooked some tapi for lunch & tapi & white bait for tea. Would have liked to go out to garden today but have to work in wood yard this afternoon. The garden is looking at its best now. The grass has made a fair lawn. The balsams, marigolds & other flowers are looking very good & I think it is the prettiest & best place in Changi. We have spent 14 ½ mths changing a waste place of sandhill into a garden & I think have made very good job of it.

AUG 22: Had to move out to 2 area late last evening. Done with usual bad admin & we were very tired when it was over. Hope it is last move in Changi. Had to make room for 2000 Dutch which no one knew were on the island. Some talk of moving all Dutch up to Selarang because of bad feeling between them & Aust. X3 came in late last night & all looked much better than when they left. The Gault Marine Hudson crew are huge. The whole place was just a babble of talk as everyone talked & joked with each other. This was the camp in which Ken Wilson was killed. Capt was in charge & made a very good job of the camp in his stand against the Nips. Seemed to have had a very good news service from Kranji. This place seems to be the worst on the island & things are in a very bad way over there. The working party fixed things up while they were there. When coming back to Changi the natives gave them a great time with their cheers & joss sticks. A U.J. was held up in front of the truck. The rice ration is 325 & Med Auth will not allow any more owing to danger of beriberi. All the boys are complaining of hunger still but it was pointed out that with the Red X we are consuming over 3000 calories daily parcels & we are not working. 5 carcases pork came in but not much among 12000. We are being issued with all sorts of rubbish now. 1 stick chewing gum & small piece of soap for hungry men. The water shortage here in 2 area is very serious & we are finding it hard to get enough water. Went out to Hosp in evening & they appear to be doing fairly well in the Red X food line.

AUG 23: Madden sent for me & told me to get 3 men to cut main hedge in front of gaol. He said it was specialist job & we were Gens gardeners so we would have to do it. Could not get any cutters so went past the guard & got about 30 lb tapi to help over bad period. Actually got 4 lb myself by time it was shared up & some given away. All Nips very busy getting new clothes & not taking much notice of us. We have to be on job tomorrow with 8 men. News Service read out twice daily & today’s very good. Details of handing over of Japan & Singapore. Tomorrow appears to be big day. Had issue of 2 Milan Singlets pair trousers 3 Aust badges today. Will get rid of most of our rags. Moved again this evening into 26th lines. Think we will be attached to these until we get home. Not very good now I am afraid. The boys who came from parties are complaining of hunger. They have been used to 500 – 600 graduation besides a lot of lagi stuff & not doing so good here. Had Med classification today marked B. Don’t know what it means but think it is Con Depot.

AUG 26: Everyone looking very pretty in their coloured shift or singlet which have been issued by I.A. To date we have 2 singlets or shirts coloured sox boots shorts & some hats G string & sweat rag. For past 3 ½ yrs we could not get even G string from them & have been going around in rags. The clothes & boots are very poorly made. We had small concert in hut of 2/00. 2 nights ago among those were Maj Buck Val Mai & about 70 of rest. Gen Beattie play with few more. Salt night Friday. We had music in Hosp area in floodlight very good. Bit of concert Sat night which was bit flat but ended up with Land of Hope & Glory & National Anthem & have hardly heard such spirit among a body of men. Large boards 20’ have been placed around area with P.O.W. on them to enable planes to drop supplies but they are very slow in making appearance & all the old thrill of being free has left us & we are feeling very jaded. What is this freedom anyhow. We are still restricted, still have to scrounge for food & have supposed to been free for fortnight. Number of men here between 2 wires & were fined 14 days CB 5 pound. 1 chap stole pig from Chow up for D.C.M. two in Singapore up same with rice from B.J. that they either do sentences in Malaya or go home on last trps ship. We have just taken another 50 lbs from Gens garden & if we had been caught with that then we would have got 2 mths at least. Yesterday was United Thanksgiving Day & in evening big service was held in Med Area. American Dutch & English which was well attended. At same time service was held in Cath area. Was told in news service that owing to typhoon in Japan the signing had been postponed until next Sunday & the official handing of Sumatra & here the same time. It is just a case of waiting for something to happen.

MON 27 AUG: Finished the hedge today & got about 60 lb tapi among six. Was issued with ¼ lb Gladstone butter each in evening. We all think an atomic bomb has hit some big dump & blew it our way for it was impossible to get anything before. Saw one of the Nips I knew well & he said all men very happy to go home. Notice double guards all round area. Brought home very rare orchid which was growing up in our garden. I got it from Kampong 6 mths ago. We now get an issue of pigs each day 20 Kova & next day 123 castles. Not much good to me but lads appreciated them. Water supply still very bad. We are getting rain every day which relieves the situation. There has been a terrific row over the rice ration which has been increased to only 325 gms. The M.O. maintain that there should be too many casualties from beriberi with more rice. Rather ridiculous argument for a continual fight has been made for increase in rations for the past yrs & only recently there was scheme abroad to sell watches so that all could get an increase in rice ration to 325 grms. Then we had absolutely nothing else in protein or V.T. line to offset danger of beriberi. Now we are being supplied with little fish, beef & fresh pup every few days. We are still getting 1 pcl to 20 men. We have had a butter issue tonight yet still men have to scrounge for extra bulk food. This morning I saw Eng men taking rice from guard hut a thing we always did in the old days but not now. The situation is paradoxical & one wonders who are the free men. There is no shortage of rice in the store & the maize of the camp has been dumped in the nail factory & will not be used any more. The officers have been eating their heads off & seem to be getting all the R X in the place & we still have rice pap unsweetened & some sort of sauce for breakfast. The sugar ration has been double & we cannot see it. We have not seen butter or jam out here, yet the officers have rolls made from flour with butter & jam on it. There always has been an unfair distribution & that is one thing in which B.J. has failed & Newey was up. The officers did not come first always with Newey. The mosquitoes are very bad down here in these huts & I am tipping a lot of malaria in 3 – 4 days time. Saito has said in a conference with Dillon that he can ask for anything for the camp & everything has been done for P.O.W. in his power. The internees have been moved from Syme Rd to Adelphe Hotel & I hear from there to Alex Hosp. Think they will occupy both, myself, at Hotel & sick in Hosp. We have just been issued with our butter & I must say how much it is appreciated by all. There are looks of ecstasy on all faces & I think it is the most beautiful taste we have had in that line for 3 ½ yrs. Few degrees up from Palm oil & coco oil. It has a wonderful velvety flavour & is in my opinion another of the spoils of war. Cannot understand why the Nips have not gone in for this food more. They have lived in very hard fashion the same as the poorer people would live in Japan & they have been the victors for 3 ½ yrs. It is very apparent that they do not spoil the soldier of Japan by over indulging in good food. One way of looking at it is what they never have they never miss. Think will be some bilious men tonight by way the men are tucking into butter. Last night most of men were out in moonlight gaming area at 3 am. We had pt sweet coffee & large army biscuit & little cheese for supper. It was very enjoyable but did not affect me that way. I got up once through night & slept for rest of night like log. I am putting the weight on & think I will be well above normal weight in mths time. Hope I don’t get paunchy which is great danger after so much rice. I am sure our insides are ruined for yrs to come. I have put on stone in last mth & put it down to the amount of tapi I have been eating. I had a couple of sprays of scorpion orchid which I had growing in Saito’s garden. I originally got it from a Kampong near Takahasai’s house. Most fearsome looking thing coloured same as some octopus light brown & dark brown spots with pink stamen shaped like body with 2 eyes. News came that we would be leaving by plane starting from next Tuesday. Will be much quicker but most of us would rather boat for health reasons.

AUG 28: Will be on fatigues around the place in future, resigned from specialist work to Capt Madden yesterday. Tucson food still coming in but the MO’s have control & will not let us at it too quickly owing to our low state of health. An issue of cheese 4 ozs per man this morning. All the marvellous things we have been missing for past 4 yrs. Spoils to the victor. Woe to the vanquished. Red X rep has been around for past 2 days & found 2500 patients in hospital 600 beds. Malaria 80% & treated almost as a joke in lines. Immediate request for Atebrin & 731 extract. Saito is having a very busy time acceding to all requests, one of which was the evacuation of Timor St off the Nips to allow it to be used as Hosp. Alex was offered but it was thought best to allow incoming trps to make new Hosp themselves as we did not have the equipment.
TO DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: Image
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:11 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 85:

AUG 29: Big excitement yesterday when Liberators came over the area dropping leaflets & taking photographs of the place. Most of the leaves were in Japanese or Chinese but some had Jap on one side & Eng on the other. They have sound advice to P.O.W. & orders for guard. Said they would be over next with Xmitter on & Med supplies which would be dropped by chute. Went to farewell meeting of the craft in St Andrews Church last night & was very impressed with the earnestness of the speakers. Steward spoke of permission which had to be obtained initially from Gen Percival who himself accepted the responsibility between us & Japs. When we came down from Thai the stories were such that he went to Col Holmes Bro who said he would stand between us & the enemy if necessary but the danger was so great that it was thought too much & was decided to disband until things improved. This was the first time since then we have met & there was an excellent attendance. Saw many faces among them which I had no idea were in the craft. Roy Evans & Jack Wynne have always kept me informed. Was highly amused at one story told over the supper of sweet black coffee, Army biscuit, jam, butter & cheese. Ron McLash was doing some shopping before the blue & decided to buy pyjamas for girl friend. After looking them over decided on suit & asked for brassiere which went with it. Heated argument ensued which was ended by Ron saying that all Aust girls wore them even if the Chinese did not with their pyjamas. A puzzled shopkeeper was left. The news is read out from a Chinese Shirnban now which gives all the current news. Loud speakers have been fixed up over the camp in busy places & news is amplified over these. According to this source we can expect parachutes this weekend. Parades are the order now “To get us away from the Jap parade atmosphere”. They are Bat parades & go to a great deal of length. The first was held last night & some funny incidents were seen. Clothing is still nondescript & when the O.S. went up to salute there were 2 officers & he saluted with both hands. Even the officers were not sure of the rigmarole & the whole thing was a farce. One W.O. when asked why he was not on parade he told the off he had to go away as he had to finish a game of chess. Still we have a good home made flag which gives us a little feeling of pride. Hope the plane saw it yesterday. There is no U.J. flying yet & I understand that the incoming force will hoist it first. B.J. assures us that if he gets a chance the Aust flag will fly first. He had a bit of a shock when he called Newey to account at a conference as to his doing while he was in charge of the camp. Both C.O.’s had plenty of abuse ready for him but he managed to get his say in first. He said “He had a most difficult task to perform. First he was not a reg Bat. Sold.” which was knock at Dillon. Then he said he was not popular which made his task even more difficult which was knock at B.J. The crowning blow was he said there were only 2 forces here, he never did count the Dutch. He said the Aust had carried the camp from its inception & without which the camp could not have carried on. Their personal hygiene was perfect & they led the camp in all other same. Their initiative was such that they would be in anything. He did not like Australians. “They were too abrupt in their speech & rude in their manner. They are all shysters. They were hard & in dealing with them he had to be hard.” He offered no apology. This short speech took the wind out of the O.C. sails as B.J. said, & there was nothing more to say.

AUG 30: Big event of the day was the arrival by B24 & parachute of 2 Med Off 2 Allied Off 20 R on the Changi Drome. They immediately took command from the Nips & dished out the orders. A large amount of Med gear & other stores was also dropped. These men left Colombo 11 pm & arrived here at 7 am. In report of 1 of O.R. he went into the pilot cabin half way through journey & found both pilots fast asleep. Automatic control doing the work. The leading Officer was cornered by an officer on the drome but his questions were swept aside & transport was demanded. When they arrived at the office he took control. Swept a pile of papers from the desk & gave out orders. Later he was told of the enormous improvement in the camp in the past 3 wks but was told all explanations were unnecessary. No one could tell him anything new about these yellow bastards. In the evening more supplies were dropped & among the volunteers to help pick up the supplies were some hostiles. One of the newcomers asked how he could run about barefoot like that & was told that 3 ½ yrs barefoot one could walk anywhere. Must say that the improvement here in past mth is amazing & testifies to the amazing recovering capacity of the body. All have put on at least 8 lb, myself a stone. The new and very coloured clothes boots & sox have put new life into everyone & it looks like a completely new camp. The food is improving lately although the rice is still 400 grams. A large number of very painful stomach upsets & colic pains. Many been admitted to Hosp have occurred once the commencement of the good food. It is pointed out that it is caused by the rich food on weak stomachs & its transition. The Nip guards were taken off the posts this morning & number of pickets placed around the perimeter wire. Met some of the Indians who were working & they greeted me like long lost bro. Took me by hand & were greatly pleased & excited by their freedom. They had the run of our camp & were making the most of it before their removal to the concentration camp at Nee Soon. They told me they finished up outside the day after we did. Their Co was Maj Nichols.

AUG 31: More Liberators over all day dropping many large & small parachutes. Do not know what has been dropped yet. Today’s highlight was the mounting of ¼ guard in place of Japs. Do not know reason but there was picket every 10 yds around the wire & the number worked out at least 12 – 1 replacement of Nips. I think the idea was to have all men on guard or resting so that it would leave no one to go through A.W.L. There are at least 60 to each guard hut. Top ½ Moon Rd the Nips were still in operation & refused to be replaced. At 3 pm the whole of the guards were surprised by the usual Nip guard turning up & taking their places with our ¼ guard. Confusing & much hilarity ensued in which Korean Nip & Aust fraternized & abused each other. Eventually we retired very pleased with ourselves & the Nip also thinking it a great joke. When things were explained it was found that the incoming O.C. said that the guards were still responsible for our safety until the island was formally taken over & as this was so they would still have to mount guard. This they were ordered to do & with the above result. We are all very thankful, for, although we have all improved in health, to stand guard for any length of time. We still continue to do a parade each evening but it takes but 15 mins is no trouble. Transports have arrived in the camp & soon we should see the last of the tractor parties. This latter are only doing the work now but it will be relief to see last of this type of work. We are getting so much butter in our food now that I can smell it exuding from pores of skin. We must have smelled very bad when we were eating large quantities of Blachang. A wireless has been set up in the camp from which amplifiers has been wired in a various parts of the gaol. So now at least we get the news first hand to the death of the boreholes.

SEPT 1: Swimming is the order each day as far as possible & with little trouble. The Japs are still doing guard duty armed with bayonets & stave. The Australian organization are busy sending drugs & medicines to the various camps P.O.W. & internees on the island. B.J. is in charge of camp. Col Dillon & Holmes have left for Singapore to organize the camps on the island. There is a great deal of unrest among the ranks over the food. We are not getting our ration of R.X. & the cooking in the kitchen is very poor. If something is not done soon I think a great outcry will come & the whole lot will be shot out of the kitchen. Some of the comports dropped were distributed today amounting to 1 cig a man & 6 parcels to Coy. Notice that 6 heavy vehicles are attached to the gaol now. Bought 2 sets of dinner service allowed his servants to smash cheap set then told them they would pay for any they broke in next 1 mth.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:56 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 86:

Chapter 27

START OF THIRD BOOK (STITCHED UP NOTE BOOK)

SEPT 2: Was lucky to draw R X bag which was dropped by parachute 5 for the unit. Contained toilet requisites & towel. I was badly in need of them esp the toothbrush & powder. The cleanest my mouth has been for 3½ yrs. The signing over of Jap & the speeches by Truman McArthur was listened to with great interest but except for general discussion was no demonstration. Gorilla forces came into camp from the mainland last night. They were landed last May by sub & have been operating all along the mainland but chiefly Kota Tinggi. The Col who was dropped 14 days ago & was missing linked up with them & collected them together. They commandeered truck & drove into town to the surprise of Nips. There they stayed for some time until an Ammo convoy came along. They held it up & boarded & came down to Singapore. Among them were 2 Chinese unable to speak Malay or Eng & were used as wireless operators. They appear to have had a hard time. Beards down to their chests very muddy & dirty. They have taken over command of the gaol from the 6 parachutists who have dropped on Changi gaol. It appears that the Col who was dropped with Xmitters should have made his way to P.O.W. camps & taken charge of their release. Thought they were mostly on the mainland instead of hugely concentrated on the island. B.J. has taken over the Nip W.O. qtrs as his H.Q. Bit of demonstration in the air about 1 pm when fighters & bombers flew very low over gaol area. About 50 – 70 para were dropped on this drome. There are 3 flag poles on the tower waiting for the moment best to hoist the U.J., N.E.1 & Am. Flag. The Victory march on Padang was put off for today & am inclined to think the S.E.A.C. Col had a say in it. Nips are still on guard but in orders today no notice must be taken of them. Nearly all the camp area down for swim this morning. They were expecting the fleet but were disappointed. Interesting to note how happy the Chinese & most of Malays are. The kids are the same now as before the blue. A Malay fishing with 50 wooden tops drifting down the beach got mixed up with boys. I don’t think he stopped laughing but did not attempt to gather in his gear. Eventually the boys collected his gear & shoved his pram away, the Malay still laughing. The boys are getting used to the planes now. The first few days everyone cleared the huts to see & wave loud “Ohs & there she is” were the order. Now it is more of a joke & unless the planes are very persistent not much excitement is caused. We are still on the rations scale of food which is supposed to help us over the transitory period but it is very badly cooked. Many bad stomachs. Also, an epidemic of very bad headaches. The issue today is tin of jam – 12 men, tin of pine each, the usual cigs & some R X gear split up amongst men. A woman was driven into the gaol ignored the Jap guard & asked if she could see her husband. Presume she was one of internees looking here. The front gate was animated this morning. There were staff with cars coming & going. The speaker was giving the news & the gorillas were running about followed by groups of men asking them questions. Everywhere was feeling of elation & excitement. It would be hard to describe the scene last night from 9 – 11.15 when approx 2500 of our area sat around listening to the wireless broadcasting from W.S.A.C., Delhi & London. The news was followed avidly but the most enjoyable item was Albert Sanders light music. The gaol wall 30’ high behind which are 6000 Eng & Dutch where normally would be housed 500 people & prisoners at most. On our side were 2500 men some on road 8’ & the rest lying around in the dirt of the roads & gutters between the altap huts & the kitchen. The dress is mostly just shorts for the night is very warm & the lads are lying & squatting around in various attitudes with far away looks on their faces. Surely it will not be long before we are taken away from this pestilential hole so full of frightful memories. It seems certain that we will be flown away from here but things seem to move so slowly. The evacuation lists have been checked & I hope our names have been sent home so that our people’s minds can be relieved. After the news of 600 men dying in the past year in Borneo then the sooner the casualty list is published the better it will be for all concerned.

SEPT 3: Off for swim again this morning with same mind as 50% of rest of released P.O.W. in camp. Most interesting ceremony at 12 noon when the 3 flags U.J., Am & Dutch were broken from the towel after fanfare from 4 sides. Some member of various forces were represented & 3 hearty cheers were given. A timely breeze blew up which floated the flags for 2 mins after the breaking & then dropped lazily down to the flagpole. Below in the court yards all faces were turned upwards watching the flags flutter lazily. More European wives & daughters came out from Singa looking for their menfolk. They have not seen their folk for 3½ yrs. The girls looked exceptionally pretty in their dusky way and they seemed quite happy as they walked around the place asked various questions which they answered very readily. The smaller children all over 4 yrs by the look of them were having grand time being wheeled about in barrows about the gardens. Hard to say who were enjoying themselves the most the men playing with kids or the kids in the barrows.

SEPT 4: First big day for sugar. Itagashi had to go out to the Sussex to sign the surrender. The fleet has been lying off Penang for past 3 wks and as the broadcast stated they have just sweated us in a hot box. They said they are just rearing to go down the Malacca St & give us all the eggs which they say they have on board. Itagashi seems to be hanging out & it would not surprise me to find that he is listed as a war criminal. After all he would be responsible for the war work the P.O.W. has done on Blachan Mati & the island around beside Singapore. The Allies it is obvious do not trust the Jap. Only 6 days ago a plane was fired upon & we do not want a repetition of Pearl Harb. The night wireless programme is the thing now & all men gravitate to the various points where amplifiers are posted. 4 Press men were dropped from a Liberator. They stated that they are the advance of the main press men who have a ship complete with Xmitters radio. Photography etc from Mountbattens fleet which was due to attack here on the 15 of mth. Was told over wireless that fleet was anchored off Singapore. Have not seen much about place except few planes. Had long night session listening to wireless from 7.30 – 11.15.

SEPT 5: Our forces landed at Keppel Harb today among the cheering crowds of Chinese. They landed in full battle order fixed bayonets, guns, mortars etc. They disarmed every Nip on sight. The Indian Army landed first & relieved an officer of his sword. Some of our Chookos went in on leave to see the landing but no other ranks allowed. Check parades are very strict & the threat they hold over us is 28 days, 5 pound & last for rehabilitation. Some reporters went along to X ward & the sight there were such that they had not seen even in Germany. I think they are making out things are a lot worse in this camp than they really are hence the cancellation of the V. Parade. During the evening we heard Churchill speak & he is definitely No.1 man among P.O.W. Then we heard the H. Leger run which was the best thrill the boys have heard in that line for some time. The climax came when a description was made of the landing of the 5 Ind Div. Highlight was the large welcome sign over Lavender St.

SEPT 6: We all had a thrill when it was known that there was a woman in the camp. She is a captain reporter from N.Z. & got about the lines a good deal. She was openly interested in the N.Z. butter case & took snaps of that & Hassy with doll. Also snap of our Q overflowing with R X. It must be remembered that this small Q serves 2300 men. An amusing thing happened when the lady came around gaol wall & saw the boys naked waiting for the water to come on under the shower. Hard to say who was most surprised the boys or lady friend. More & more RA PW1 men getting about the place & I think they will take complete control of place before long. Lot of trouble on the island among the Comms & others & think the incoming forces will have to be very strict. Outside the main gate was bad incident. Chinese who was evidently hunter from his land returned as soon as the trouble was over to find another Chow & family in possession. A fight ensued in which the woman had her throat cut & the rest were more or less seriously injured. The Nips who are still doing guard duty just ignored the show but some of our M.P. tried to stop the show with not much success. The RAPW1 photographer has been around taking lots of snaps one of which was in our hut. I am in it at the back standing. Some of the lads have been on these hikes & came across the Selarang buildings full of Aero gear & equipment worth millions. I have just written my first letter home to Eva & I feel absolutely done up. After all this time to be free almost & able to write in a normal manner. All around me in our hut all are busy writing home to mothers, sweethearts & wives the same as me & all are emotionally spent. We are all living on the danger line & extra emotion like this we find most tiring. Things will be very quiet for few minutes then some one will ask a question on how to spell a word. The atmosphere is most tense. It has been quite an intense sort of day. The lady reporter was persuaded by the N.Z. pet Walker to visit our lines & heard their story but as most of them had never left Changi & had been an incubus on our shoulders for past years naturally their story was very different from ours. We had been carrying nearly 1000 of them who never went to work & do not know the actual working conditions. So the lady friend changed her script quite a bit. She said she wanted to know the actual & real story. Well I think she got it from Peter. It was significant that the RAPW1 official photographer & reporter was well shielded by Maj Guard & no questions were allowed to be asked. Different to the lady who went about at will. One chap asked a RAPW1 official if we are still P.O.W. He asked why & was told that we all felt the same while we had to drag those trailers about the place. The first of the Am went away today in a trp carrier. They flew over the gaol as farewell & their final words were “I guess you suckers may be home before Xmas.” They are we believe off to the Philippines. The AIF Con Party are giving a show over the air tonight of all the local Com positions which include “Waiting for Something to Happen, Twinkle Toes, Castles in Air, Gen behind bar” and all the old favourites.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:26 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 87:

SEPT 7: Had a free go down at the beach this morning when we were told that we can go for a swim. Half the camp went down for the walk & kept on walking down the beach. Chinese & Malays have started small stalls with cooked ubi small cakes coconuts, sugar, bananas etc etc but the prices are fantastic & most of the sales are done on the barter. Nip clothing & the issue pack clothes were the main deals. I had 4 pks cigs & came home with 3 coconuts & kati & half of fresh fish. This latter was excellent as supplement to our lunch (4). I fried them in palm oil dipped in tapi flour. The natives were very friendly & highly enthusiastic for the change in regime. Was talking to Chinese lad (Chang Ka Cheh) medal around his neck who said that he watched the two ships steam into Tanjong Pagar. He wanted to know if more soldiers would come here after we left & seemed very pleased when told him there would be soldiers here for long time after we were gone. Went into the Kampong at Bedok where the Chinese were busy cutting down nuts & selling them to the boys at 2 for 1 pk Kova. I was talking to Chow who dressed in satin shirt & trousers pink & braces trying out my Malay & he answered me in Eng that if I stated what I wanted today he would try & get it for me tomorrow. Duck fowl anything at a price. Was re-classified afternoon & was A which think top ship. This is popular vote. All time put back from Jap to Eng 1 ½ hours. Rice down to 100 ozs today & very light but most tasty we have had. Gradually weaning from rice. Had Xmas pud 1 to 4 with drink of choc for supper. Truckloads of bread came in today from ship Sussex so suppose we will get slice each tomorrow. Another few days we should be on our own rations. I think the officials have found the camp not as bad as expected & believe we shall be here for wk or so yet there are 12000 here where formally were 700 but we are not looking too bad. B. Jack made a Xmission to Aust yesterday when he told the people what fine fellows we were. We all sent a letter AM yesterday evening at hours notice. I rattled mine off in quick time. It was purely personal owing to strict censorship but it was no trouble to rattle off 3 pages although do not know what I wrote now. I felt wonderfully excited at writing it & have been waiting for all these yrs for the moment. Hope we can get another soon so that I can tell Eva some of the news. Listened to the lady reporter over the ampl. She told us that after being among us for 2 days we certainly didn’t smell as we thought we would & said it was a miracle how we could keep ourselves so clean under such beastly conditions. She advised patience for owing to lack of transport it would be some days before we would be out of here. Sunday the first of the sick would go by Hosp ship among which were Indians who were in far worse condition than we were. The next on Tuesday & the first contingent of Eng would go by tspship via India on Tuesday. She told us that there was tons of food & med equip being unloaded but owing to lack of transport things were rather difficult but we should see results in next day or two when we would be off this awful ration. She went on to say that she saw Japs on working parties in Singapore cleaning up the place under armed guards which to us was very cheering news. The main camps are over Johore Bahru & they have tried to make it into first class affair with fans refrig etc but they will soon lose all that. Everyone excited once again & lots of new trps incl Aust around talking to boys. 2 girls of RX were around this afternoon & they looked grand after the swarthy complexions we have been used to. One in particular was brunette & looked fresh as daisy although the hair was torrid. RAPW1 have set up H Q in Moon St with direct comm. With H Q Ceylon & things here seem to be getting ship shape. Rest of Americans went away today with very few Eng. During the hike yesterday some of the lads came across six inch guns one of which had zen line over gaol. Afraid we could have had rough time if the Nip had not given in Itagachi as they were sure to have drop short. Have been warned to be careful to examine the tins of pines we have been issued as the Chinese packers did bit of sabotage & converted some into bombs & incendiaries. As far as I know none came to light. On tonight’s news 3 Divs landed at Pt Sivett. Evidently to take charge of KL & surrounding towns. The Bishop of Singa came out today to confirm candidates who have been prepared in past yrs. The Nips would not allow the Arch Bishop of Singa out of the environs.

SEPT 8: Big Jalan day. Whole of N area free for ex P.O.W. but think boys were all over island. Popular question Yulan Jalanhah. Went down aerodrome way. Saw the extraordinary preparations Nips had made for the invasion. Had look at 2, 6’ guns 1 Nip, 1 Eng Naval. Wonderfully camouflaged & dug in good concrete foundations & comm. trenches etc. One gun with traverse 60o had GNP on flagstaff of gaol. Extreme elevation would just clear it. The Selarang barracks were full of aeroplane engines & gear. Got on to parachute as souvenir, also stop watch found buried by Nips in hole. The whole area is now under Indian guard and as they put it ready for anything. The drome is big job, first time I have seen the place. Many planes on drome lined up. Surrounding bungalows & barracks should make good quarters for staff of drome of future. Was very funny to see boys coming home after their jalan carrying nuts, duck, bunches bananas. I had couple of pines among my loot. By lunch time all were knocked up & only those who could not get out in morning went Jalanhah in evening. Everyone slept well last night. 5 pm the band of Sussex played around gaol. Whole rd lined with P.O.W. We gave them a great hand. I felt very stirred up & think most of lads were same. These were first body of white trps have seen & they looked so fresh & clean. The leader swinging his stick looked immense. They afterwards played near Hosp. The front of gaol is swarming with Chinese dressed in white all asking for their pre war jobs back. Canteen & RA PW1 etc but as we are not established they are little previous put off. That is the big cry from the boys. Get us out of here. Except for extra food we are still living under army conditions. Cramped. Bad Latrines, poor water, disgraceful kitchens, badly cooked food, over-crowded. We are getting very impatient & think if it goes on much longer there will be trouble. Brig Lloyd spoke over amplifier last night & told us nothing of what we wished. All he said was that the next ship would give us so & so. Bakery in 10 days time. Pay of 5 pound & lot of rot. The immediate necessaries are not. Some still have no blankets. Most have no sheets & very short of clothing. Of course I can see why they are not giving us clothing. As fast as some of the boys are getting clothes they are selling them. It is a habit. Daily Mail woman reporter told us that the next few days would see lot of changes. We should have first issue of clothes tomorrow night & plenty. Good sick would start away tomorrow perhaps even tonight. English start to move 500 tomorrow. As for 5 pound advance in pay we should be getting so much with all these ships in & our modest requirements after starving for 3 ½ yrs. There should be no need for money. The lads at Tanjohn Pagar are having very good time. They are only couple 100 yds away from Sussex. They have sister in camp looking after sick. Open camp all behaving very well. Were told of treatment of Nips. They are on some ration as never before Nip end. They are allowed shirt, shorts, under clothes 1 of each. They are going in continuous stream across causeway where they are stopped & searched by Indian guards. Yesterday there were parties working in Singapore under Hap Officers. The treatment they are getting is hard but not as bad as we were given. They are camped in & around Johore barracks. They are shown piece of ground then taken to stack timber & told to get to it & make themselves at home. Was talking to Batmar of the 52nd who had fought in Burma. He said he knew all about Nips & suicide tactics. Hole in road Hari Kari of Officers & NCO’s by sword & OR’s by hand grenade. They were very bad to dislodge when they had dug in. Very good in jungle but not so good in open. The ATS have caused big impression with boys. They are just like men, they say. Seem very efficient & can handle the 3 ton trucks like any man. The girls who have caused most amusement are the comfort for the trps. These girls are here just to give us the woman’s atmosphere they tell us. I have not seen them yet.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 88:

Chapter 28

SEPT 9: Went on Jalan today with vengeance. Decided to shoot through to Singa. Waited until truck came along at 3 pm which took us down to Keppel Harb. All along route Chinese were cheering the Allies incl. us. Whole town bedecked with flags with Chinese in front. Whole Harb. Mass of shipping. With all Godowns burnt by incendiary raid no place to put gear away from weather while the transports take it to various points on Isl. Plenty of ships anchored off waiting for those on wharves to unload. Trps being disembarked. Saw Sussex activity and other Cruisers & craft carriers. The landing barges amazed me most. They are like coastal vessels. I went around with 4 more lads & got hungry so went to landing barge “to have a look.” They knew what we had come for & took us straight to mess room & gave us feed of bread & butter. Oh that bread. First for 3 ½ yrs & was the best ‘cake’ I have tasted. Don’t know if we were taking some one else’s rations but we did enjoy that bread. I had 3 slices & could have eaten much more at moment. Later was glad I had not for it was very fresh & inclined to upset me. After so long on rice have to be careful. Also had tea with milk & sugar. Christmas was never so enjoyable. The chaps aboard apologized for having nothing to eat for, they said, a lot of P.O.W. have been along & it was all gone. We explained that this meal of bread & butter was better than any meal we have had for yrs. These men have come from Burma & have no illusion about Nip altho. I spoke to some who have never seen one yet. They have had the hate pumped into them. Saw number of AJ’s around. These do not seem popular with OR, although they admit the good job done by them, they being in front line in Burma. These barges did good work in landing in France. Today was D. Day Deliverance when Louis was set to come here & release & take the place. Saw Lady Louis & her Cadillac. Saw large number of women who must have been internees in Syme Rd about, some on bikes. Everyone seemed happy & had a word or cheerio for us. All incoming trps are well dressed & we are still in rags. They are in green & we have any old thing on. I felt self conscious for while but found that people took no notice so soon forgot about myself. We walked along front & pier near Admin buildings where countless thousands of Natives were looking at the ships in the Harb. A new convoy was coming in & according to wireless it was 40 mt long in Malacca Straits. Thought of going home & found it rather hard. Waited near bridge for ½ hr then walked to UJ, deserted so walked along Vic Street for mile or so, picked up by small car for couple of miles. Then helped push transport which started & took us another ½ mile. More Jalan for few mls when RAPW1 picked us up & brought us right to Barracks. Marvellous day. No trouble. Men happy. No trouble. Notice from Sussex read in orders. In future we will not be able to supply transport back to camp for P.O.W. after picture show. Hundreds of men have been going in & having their meals on board & then staying to show. Ships are being very generous & tolerant but it is only what we would do under the same circumstances. Saw Nips working on Padang filling trenches guarded by Indian Ghurka. Nips did not like it at all. Large numbers still going towards Johore. One who had 3 suit cases lugged behind. Indian took 2 cases from him, toed him up date. Cases immed. pounded on by Chows. Whole route lined by Chinese & Malay who boo & hiss them. They are in for very hard time from these Ind. Singa is very festive but very quiet in shops. No Str lighting. All natives done up in their best Malaysian silk & Chinese & Indians in white.

SEPT 11: Some of our chaps are off by plane today. WOI Leichhardt is of our lot. Was told Eng would be going today & they will utilize the landing barges. We are on Army rations from today. For breakfast we had ¾ rice peaches & milk. Issue of peanuts. Tinned food & biscuits for tea. The rations came done up in tins. Complete ration for so many men for day complete in the field. Of course split up here. The comforts arrived afternoon. Fani looked after NAAF1 & put a show on in Med area which was cheered to echo. Many broadcasts among which was Maj Hunt & many sick RAF & AIF. Many Fani & other personnel around camp. Paradox Girls giving show. 10 yds men were at bore holes. R X moving sick nearly whole time now. Chinese all over camp now picking up clothes & food being thrown away. No one worries Chow. They have always been so faithful. Lady Louis around in a Cadillac having look at sick. Snaffled our sun dial from garden. Hope I can get it home. The evening meal was marvellous. Really thick Army stew. Rice was unpopular. Then milk, jam etc. Best meal we have had. Complete Army rations. Picture show for lads beside music everywhere. Picture programme was Gaumort news & MG. 1000’s cheer. Sent another letter to Eva & a cablegram. Lot of boys have found food dumps & made merry. Jim & Reg got into Sub base where Nips are still camped. Made hole in their rations. Nip Officers came along & ordered Jim to open his bag. Jim told him to go away. Nip was furious but could not do anything. Boys still getting issue of cigs which are much appreciated. All Chinese & others in Singa will get free issue of rice, sugar, salt today. The Nip money is no good & there is no other.

SEPT 12: Had rest from all the excitement & bustle yesterday. Was getting very tired. Took walk down to Kampong & traded couple pkts cigs for 2 eggs. Big day in town with Itagachi formally signing surrender papers to Mountbatten. According to A.B.C. commentator there was only supposed to be 2 Off & 18 ORs present owing to transport difficulties but he could see around the crowd that there were hundreds which had hitch hiked in. The camp is almost deserted today. Had first free letters last night. 1 from Eva & 1 from J. Johnson. I was pleased about it. We are getting so many thrills these days that one is continually on the go. I got more pleasure from reading those 2 letters than all the PC’s put together. There are some RAA moving of tomorrow & next Mon or Tues is mentioned for our date of departure. The sick lines are nearly clear. The Duntroon & Manurda are shifting them to Labuan. Also planes are flying some out almost continuously. These include Liberators, Douglas, Catalinas. There was great aerial display over the camp this morning & some of the Libs & Mosquito bombers almost blew huts down. Certainly put wind up me a few times. I have to do picket tonight to keep the natives out. Still bunging on weight & am 9 st 9 lb now. Everyone is getting covered now & in another couple of wks we will disappoint PW hunters. The do in town was very spectacular. Many Gens were present among them Saito. They had to march from Admin to bridge between our trps then the native popul. who clapped & jeered all the way. Some remarks heard was ‘How about Hari Kari Cura.’ There are but 50 Aust Para on parade but put up a wonderful show. Most of lads went on aircraft carriers & cruisers in course of day. Padre Duckworth made broadcast to England this morning in which he enumerated the horror & misery of Thailand episode. Told of invitation by Nips to go this land of plenty for a holiday. Bring sick. It will do them good they said. Of horror of rice trucks & the marchy marchy of 17 days & nights & 200 miles & then of the 8 mths slave work on the railway in which in his camp at Sun Kuri only 187 of 1600 men are now alive. Tonight the searchlight of the naval vessels in Naval Base & Keppel Harbour are flashing V signs in Morse in the clouds of the sky. Amusing incident. The day of Jap surrender the Chin went up to shrine at Bukit Timor & sawed to front down & put up flag pole with U.J.

SEPT 13: Lady Blamey visited camp today & asked that all prisoners CB be allowed out. Number of PW came from Bangkok by Catalina. Food going to waste today. Too much of everything. Natives around the area after cast off clothing & food & are having time of life. The authorities try to keep them out by piquet but we are all in sympathy with them & give them anything. We have scrounged & rooted up their gardens for 3 ½ yrs. ASC taking over the camp supplies. The Nips are coming into the camp to clean up & take away barbwire.

SEPT 15: Lord Mountbatten came into camp yesterday & was enthusiastically mobbed. Gave speeches in all areas. Gist of speech was evacuation priority & how the campaign went previous to our release. He seems wonderful man full of go. Lady Mavis called on for speech. She seemed very tired & worn out but still full of spirit. The boys cheered them both to echo. Most of Hosp gone now & we are next in line. Boys can hardly contain themselves. Very disappointed that more letters have not come in. Only ABC of Alpha came. Glad I am B. Sending off another letter to Eva today. Met Padre Stevenson yesterday & he is around talking to boys now. He assures us that all our women folk are true to us. Many doubtful but no doubt in my mind. Wonderful to have more food than can possibly eat. I think we must be feeding half Singa Is here also. Believe the Navy & Serv. are going very short for us to have plenty. Our lads are taking over camp & now getting settled in. Many meeting old acquaintances. Many having disappointments in their search for missing men. Pleasure to read the Sunday Sun & Courier Mail again. Latest dates are 26 Aug. Saw picture last night Pirate & Princess. Colour very good. P. Stevenson has been here this morning & bombarded him with questions, don’t think things are as good as we expected in Aust. What with ration queues & coupons & black market the womenfolk seem to have had a bad time.

THE END

SOME NOTES IN THE BACK OF THE LAST BOOK:

Freddie Mellick cleaner at Nestles used to dump the rubbish away with large amount of Choc. The boys would nick across grab some & dive into lav.

Fred Wisle was in big Godown on his own when 2 Nips came in. He told them he was in charge & not to touch anything. They swept past him & in sweeping tilted his hat from which dozens of packets of matches fell. Hard to say who was the most surprised the Nips or Fred but when recovered everyone laughed heartily.

The M.O. & Orderlies bandaged up mans arm in splints & packed thousands of cig under the bandages. Two men helped him past the guard & home with great sympathy from the Nips.

Cos Trealeagues drove truck into Godown & loaded up with cartons of cigs, chocs & foodstuffs, drove past the guard, saluted them, went back to Great World, unloaded & drove empty truck back with Nips none the wiser.

When writing home one chap said “would you say we had been castrated for 3 ½ yrs or incarcerated?”
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter