Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:54 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 9:

Boomerang

Charley Drake recorded a song entitled ‘my boomerang won’t come back’ when I was aged twelve years old. This tune repeated over and over in my mind. I can share with you the exact place I first heard this song. It was when I was walking along Graceville Avenue, Graceville an outer western Brisbane suburb.
It’s a catchy tune describes the plight of a young aboriginal, the chief’s son, trying to learn to throw his boomerang and it wouldn’t come back. He threw the thing all over the place, practised until he was black in the face but his boomerang didn’t come back. The family witch doctor was bought in to teach him how to throw the boomerang.
Doing what the witch doctor told him to do; he drew back the boomerang, steady, and threw it into the air hitting the flying doctor plane. ‘I think I hit the flying doctor’ were the last words of the song and he asked the witch doctor, ‘do you know first-aid’.
At the time I thought the song was very catchy and funny. A search of the internet produced a u-tune of the song and after listening to it again after more than a half-a-century I still think the song and lyrics remain funny and catchy.
A boomerang is made from wood. Modern boomerangs are made for sport and often have carbon fibre-reinforced plastics, not like the original ones made by ancient aboriginal peoples.
They were mainly used as hunting weapons. The name boomerang referred to returning throwing stick. The oldest Australian boomerang is ten thousand years old, so they’ve been around for a long time.
There is a question I want to ask before I complete this story: ‘What do you call a boomerang that won’t come back?’ Answer: ‘A stick.’
Word count: 303
TO READ THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270499
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 10:

Be Yourself – If You Dare

Growing up in the 50’s without television, telephone, computers, or any of today’s modern appliances, were tough? Probably we didn’t think so at the time because there was nothing to compare with today’s modern society.
In today’s society there is nothing one doesn’t want nor can achieve if they put their mind to it. In my day and age growing up; my both parents worked to keep the roof over our heads.
School vacations were spent with an aunt or grandparents. These times weren’t happy times because at each opportunity my self-esteem was battered by being constantly called ‘an idiot’, blamed for anything which went wrong. I felt worthless and unwanted. It was difficult to make a decision in case trouble loomed. Discipline in those days was handed out by all authorities, including parents, relatives, school teachers, priests, or any other person in authority. If a police officer spoke to us we thought we were going directly to jail. What changed in our society over fifty years?
With television, computers and modern electronic devices many things have changed. Times have definitely changed, in my opinion, not for the better. Saturday nights were spent playing cards with family and friends. I can still see my grandmother standing on the top stairs of her kitchen, the words indelibled in my mind, ‘children should be seen and not heard’.
These words echo each time I think of her and wonder what she would think of the modern era. If my memory serves me correct, I was almost thirty-five years of age before I actually recognized I wasn’t ‘an idiot’. Up until this age, I often analysed how I’d survived with marriage, raising a family and employment.
Than started a journey by writing a few words for an assignment at college. This turning point changed my life forever. I was told I had a gift for writing – I wrote the way I spoke – which was unique.
At the time, I remember the words my lecturer said as if it was yesterday. I didn’t totally understand his words at first. Actually to tell you the truth I felt like an alien who’d recently arrived from another planet.
I took the bull by the horns to develop my skills and believe in myself to become a writer.
To banish the old saying from my mind, I started to tell myself, I could write if I wanted to. I wasn’t an ‘idiot’. By continually doing this I needed to be myself and take the dare to succeed.
The rest is history. I wonder what my ancestors would say if they could see me now. I suppose they’d admit if they didn’t do what they did at the time I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Word count: 466
TO READ THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270499
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 11:

If Ever There Was A Reason To

Do you believe in fate? I believe everything in our lives happens for a particular reason. We have no control of why it happens when it does; also we don’t have any control over the outcome. It has happened too often to put it down as coincidence.
I look from my office window and see a burgundy coloured Toyota Corolla Hatch-back Sedan. This motor vehicle belongs to me. I’ll share with you the story of how this motor vehicle came to be mine.
In January this year I owned a Magna Sedan. Over the time I owned this vehicle; it was regularly serviced and kept in good working order. There were times I wanted to trade it in to get a smaller vehicle however, the time was never right nor did the thought of letting it go concerned me. I loved driving it. It was comfortable.
Obviously you’ve heard or personally experienced events happening in your life in threes. My experience began when the television saw its final days; closely followed by the computer and almost instantly, the motor vehicle.
When the television went to the grave, I purchased a new television from Aldi store at a cost of a third less than I’d purchased my previous television from a well known distributor. Almost without allowing the television to settle in, next went the computer.
Unfortunately like many people I can’t live without a television or a computer. On the day I had the computer repaired I was returning home when my Magna was involved in a road accident in which I wasn’t to blame.
After the insurance agent assessed it, the vehicle was written off. Eventually a settlement figure was agreed upon by both parties. Where would I find another vehicle, crossed my mind. At the time I hadn’t any idea of which type of vehicle I wanted only it should be in a price range I received from the insurance company.
Was this an act of fate, or was it meant to happen?
Before I completely lost the Magna, I needed to recover the registration number plates including the registration sticker to cancel the registration. The Magna by this time was placed in its final resting place at the local wrecking yard.
If ever there was a reason to go to that particular wrecking yard on that particular day, at that particular time; it was meant to happen. Before driving into the entrance to the wrecking yard a burgundy coloured Toyota Corolla Hatch-back Sedan was parked on the footpath showing a ‘For Sale’ sign.
‘This is the car I was looking for. It’ll do me.’ I thought. Without blinking an eyelid I purchased the vehicle and my life is again in equilibrium once more.
Word count: 466
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 12:

Take A Ghoul Like Me

Detective Bundy Quicksilver is at his wits ends when another female body was discovered in the park. How could this happen? He thought when he stood over the naked body. Her heart was missing.
This was the second body in two days. Who would be next? His mind filtered through his database of weirdos he’d come across throughout previous investigations. This was the first type which plucked the heart from the body.
Was it a type of witchcraft he was dealing with? There appeared to be no other evidence to connect any other person to the crime scene, no open wounds, only the missing heart of each deceased person.
Detective Superintendent Kate Emerson appeared beside him, ‘hi there, I’m Detective Kate Emerson, from the federal police.’ She showed Bundy her badge.
Bundy acknowledged her with a shake of the hand and a similar ‘hi’ and asked why she was attached to the investigation. Her response being this was the tenth death of a young girl and all similar, removal of the heart. Obviously all could be connected, she informed Bundy.
It had turned into a federal case in which the murders happened across Australia in each state and territory. Why these murders had been committed throughout Australia, Bundy wondered.
Detective Superintendent Emerson was a good looking female and immediately took a shine to Bundy. He felt uncomfortable to be followed by his latest partner. Something told him to be aware of his new partner, he didn’t know what it was, only an instinct. Bundy had a premonition about certain things. A ping went off in the back of his head to throw a signal of something was not right.
Evidence of each scene was shown to Bundy and he acknowledged how weird these murders were to others he’d investigated. There had to be an explanation?
Detective Superintendent Emerson suggested these murders happened on a full moon of three day duration. There was one full moon left before the next cycle. She suggested they set a trap on the third night to find the killer at the same park as the other two victims were murdered. Bundy agreed.
All was set, Bundy and Detective Superintendent Emerson hid in the bushes to watch for any action. Suddenly Detective Superintendent Emerson’s complexion changed from a human being into a were wolf type person, her fingers changed to claws, hair sprouted over her body, her face changed into a monster.
Bundy drew his firearm when he saw this transformation, aimed his pistol at Detective Superintendent Emerson who cried out ‘you think you’re going to shoot me – take a ghoul like me, will you’, as bullets filled her body, she fell to the ground never to murder again.
Word count: 461
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:33 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 13:

The Horizon

This is a story of an under achiever. He didn’t know he was an under achiever because he couldn’t see the horizon or direction of where to go to complete his journey. He was lost in a forest of doubt.
From an early age, his life was taunted by being constantly told he was an ‘idiot’ and ‘worthless’. A school teacher once told him, ‘if you had another brain, it’d be lonely.’ He never understood why these people discredited him.
These taunts were like a heavy weight pushing his self-esteem to as low as it could go. He saw no escape. In return he acted as if he was an ‘idiot’, his reason he didn’t know; but thought if people thought he was an idiot, he would fulfil their desires.
Throughout his schooling years he struggled until he commenced work. One day the Leading Hand gave him a job to complete. This task he did to the best of his ability and resulted in the Leading Hand acknowledging the good work by presenting him with an award.
He showed his father the award and wanted his father to feel proud of what he’d achieved. Unfortunately his father laughed and said, ‘look you’re an idiot. Where did they get this – out of a corn flake packet?’
Life went on and many years later this lad wanted to join the police. Ever since he could remember from the age of four years old he wanted to be a law enforcement officer. After two attempts, he succeeded.
Fixed in his mind, the old record of ‘him being an idiot’ surfaced. Constantly he fought these demons and eventually went on to become a detective.
After a serious investigation, his Boss expressed his appreciation on carrying out such an important investigation. He didn’t know how to receive this accolade because he felt he was an ‘idiot’ and ‘worthless’ and how could he be recognized for valour.
Life continued and after many years still continued to live in the forest of doubt until one day he acknowledged to himself he was not an idiot or worthless and would do his best to reach his horizon of success.
It took many years of hard work, at the same time he kept his eye on the ball reaching for the horizon of success. He continues to this day without the constant reminded he was an ‘idiot’. His motto – Never Give Up!
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 14:

Rear – Sets and Clips – Ons

‘How many fatal motor cycle accidents do we have on our roads?’ Minister for Transport asked the Police Commissioner at their morning briefing.
‘Almost five hundred per year, Minister.’ The Police Commissioner reported.
‘Isn’t there anyway we can stop or reduce these fatal road accidents from happening?’ The Minister asked.
‘There could be a way to reduce the fatalities.’ The Police Commissioner expressed.
‘Then how?’ Minister replied.
‘Speed is a contributing factor, and don’t kid yourself, if you race motorcycles, more than likely they will crash.’ The Police Commissioner advised.
‘Well, what do we do to stop them racing and crashing.’ The Minister wanted to know.
‘We could introduce Rear – Sets and Clip – Ons.’ The Police Commissioner expressed.
‘Alright, tell me about these Rear – Sets and Clip – Ons.’ Minister inquired.
‘There are things you can do to try to minimize damage to the rider and pillion passenger during a crash. We’ve found the easiest way to try to minimize crash damage to the bike is by replacing the stock handlebars with clip-ons with replaceable bars, replacing the stock folding footpegs and mounts with rearsets and solid footpegs, and installing frame savers.’ The Police Commissioner explained.
‘Well, then I’ll pass a law in parliament to have these things carried out immediately.’ The Minister implied.
‘There are a couple of ways that clip-ons work.
Handlebars basically consist of aluminium tubes and clamps to hold them into the forks, can help in a crash. They are longer than a stock handlebar and can be adjusted to hold the upper part of the bike off the ground when the bike is on its side.’ The Police Commissioner reiterated. He spoke as if he knew much about these Rear – Sets and Clip – Ons.
‘How do you know so much about this subject?’ The Minister asked.
‘Ah, I have them on my race bikes and I know they save lives.’ He expressed.
‘If you say its okay, Police Commissioner, I will take it to Cabinet to pass the law that all motorcycles in Queensland immediately have these Rear – Sets and Clip – Ons on all motorcycles.’ The Minister said.
‘Thank you Minister.’ The Police Commissioner replied and thought, ‘corruption is not over.’
Word count: 373
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:54 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 15:

You Are As Young As You Feel

At times I feel as though I’m a teenager. An example was falling in love at fifty-six years of age. This definitely made me think I felt like a teenager again.
My wife of thirty-one years lost her fight with cancer and two years later I met and fell in love with another woman who came into my life. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought it possible. I honestly thought I was destined to be a widower for the remainder of my life.
Love made me feel young and alive. In fact before I met this new person I felt my life was sliding quickly down a dark hole. I saw no future with another person. It was tough to go through the process of grief, sorrow and loss of the love of your life.
When this event happened, falling in love again, I mean, my heart swelled so much it almost burst from my chest. This feeling carried me back in years to when I first fell in love with my wife.
Although I was twenty-three years old and she was nineteen, the first time I saw her was ‘love at first sight’. My mother always told me, ‘you’ll know when the right one comes along,’ and her words rung true.
For the following thirty-two years we loved each other very deeply – it hurt to think we’d ever be separated.
Unfortunately life has many bends and turns and at the age of fifty years old she lost her fight with cancer and departed from my life.
Through this period I felt old and haggard, with no motivation toward life and the future. I struggled to keep going. I felt old.
I’m unaware if there is a God however, there must be a higher power more forceful than us human beings. You see, I needed to ‘get out and meet people’ and on one of my weekly visits to the local café on a Friday morning to have coffee; I met this wonderful warm person who recently lost her husband.
Obviously it must have been fate we met because as soon as I saw her face and heard her voice, my mind flashed back to when I first met my wife all those years ago.
At the end of next month will give us seven years together. I honestly feel I could live on forever and I feel young again, not in mid-sixties but more in mid-thirties. I have much to live for and enjoy each moment of the time I have left.
Word count: 435
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter