• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby dub » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Mucker (English equivalent of cobber) :-D
I been keeping up with events and it all sounds positive ! I did enquire in earlier post reply asking whether your grandson has any idea what he would like to be when he is a grown up ? Plus it would great to speak of him by name :-D Unless grandson is his name :joker
That all aside :thunbsup
:mz: is rooting for you guys because we love a success story :clap
Noting that at twelve years of age there is a long road ahead...set the bar high and if then one falls short a new challenge is born.
happy days ! :-D

For this message the author dub has received thanks:
Nevis
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Thank you Dub for your kind words. I appreciate them. Jackson is his name and he's a great lad, only needs a little discipline to get him back on track. He's mentioned a number of times he wanted to be a police officer - the same as I was. At this stage school is most important and I think after he completes his schooling he will decide then what to do. Until then if he can alter his behaviour and strive to a higher standard - he will make it. Now to continue this journey:

This has been a serious project for me to tackle. Its as if I turned back the clock to the 1980's when I did this programme all of the time. At the time I was making it up as I went along but after seeing so many youths develop and self-improve after these sessions, I must have been doing something right.

And now to follow a similar programme with my own grandson, Jackson and see the improvement is outstanding. Yesterday he completed the first 'schedule' for the week.

This schedule has been designed to let him tell me what he has to do from the time he awakes in the morning until the time he goes to bed at night. I add my little bits to it. You may think it is a bit over the top, but from the results of this first week, I gave him a total of 80%. Which I consider is excellent. How I measured was Excellent = 75% to 100%; Good = 50% to 75%; Poor = 0% to 50%. I added a comment after the score to show how I came to my decision.

Considering he wakes at 8am and goes to bed at 8.30pm, and completes all of the tasks allotted to him during the day for seven days, I thought he did an outstanding job and was awarded thus.

We commenced on the next 'schedule' for next week. When he knows what his tasks are and what's required of him, he goes ahead with his tasks with gusto and self-motivation.

More tomorrow.

Pat Ritter Books then click.... PRB

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1890 times

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 pm

My grandson is away with his uncle and aunt at a horse show today. When he asked me if he could go I said 'Yes'. He was astonished but I do believe in reward after the tasks have been done.

I remember when I was doing this same programme in 1985, a youth in the programme asked me if he could have a day off to go fishing with his father. I said, 'go for your life and enjoy your time with your father.'

In 2000 I was giving a presentation to police officers at Rockhampton and afterward a police officer came to me and asked if I remembered him. Unfortunately I didn't. He told me he was one of the youths who'd completed the programme and also he had a day off to go fishing with his father. I remembered the incident and the youth. Naturally, my throat thickened with pride to see this young person had joined the police. He went on to say when he heard I was addressing the police he travelled three days to see me. I was pleased he did.

Unfortunately we have no control over the actions of another person. If we can provide guidance and in my case, to Jackson at twelve years old, hopefully he will see the light and become accountable and responsible. I surely hope so.

More tomorrow.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 pm

This time next week I'll hand Jackson back to his mother and hopefully he'll leave being a better person than he arrived. Let's hope so.

When I look back on my own life at his age, I wonder how I ever got through it without too much difficulty. At the time I was angry because my father was transferred from Roma to Graceville in Brisbane. He worked for Queensland Rail, as did more than half of the population of Roma.

I didn't tell him because in those times your parents didn't listen to what their children wanted, especially at twelve years old. You did as you were told without question.

Attending a new school, meeting new friends, seeking out the neighbourhood. Roma was a small country town back in the sixties and Graceville appeared to be a huge city.

When everything is said and done - I survived and along the journey learnt new things about how life treats you. If I never experienced these adventures in life, I doubt I would be the person I am today. There is a lesson to be learnt each day of our lives. I'm still learning.

More tomorrow.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

What a great feeling it's been to have a break-through at long last. No doubt you have felt a similar feeling when you've worked on a project and after hard work and effort - there is a break-through to fill your mind with 'the toyota add' of throwing your hands in the air at the same time jumping for joy.

This happened yesterday when my grandson finally told me 'what has been troubling him'. He opened up and told me his story which has troubled him for many years. I won't go into the story for obvious reasons.

Anyway I sat and listened and wanted to transfer my life experience and knowledge to his mind so he needed go through these times again. Unfortunately at this stage we can't do these things, only listen and learn.

We talked and talked and talked. I put to him a number of strategies to help him along his journey of life. Strategies which may sow the seeds of progress and give him a much healthier outlook on life. He kept reminding me of 'in my day' however, when I look at the issues troubling children today and comparing it with issues we had in our day, I doubt there is any difference.

Hopefully over the next week we will make more progress and he'll turn the corner and travel along a much smoother highway of life.

More tomorrow.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, Nevis, wired
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Isn't it a shame we can't wave a magic wand over our child's head and presto everything has changed to put them back on track. Unfortunately we can't. I think the magic we weave is from our love, life experiences, and care for the child.

Often I reminiscence about the past (my grandson calls it - 'back in my day'). Where else are we going to find the answers to those questions which pop up from time to time.

It'd be stupid for me to admit I never made a mistake in my life as you'd admit yourself. A tradesman once told me when I was an apprentice many moons ago, 'you learn from your mistake', I answered, 'I must be a expert because I make plenty'.

We had a wonderful day yesterday, having real Pop/Grandson time talking, sharing, explaining, relaxing and to top it off we become mates. I think this mateship will last forever (I surely hope so).

More tomorrow.

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm

It's off to the writers group today. I look forward to each Tuesday to meet up with my fellow writers and share our stories and thoughts.

Up until I joined this writers group I almost gave writing away. Yes, it's strange how fate intervenes. One minute I was on the verge of given away something I really love and couldn't see my way forward.

Then preseto, an article in a local free magazine showed Pomona Writers Group were looking for members. As they say in the classics, the rest is history.

Each year since its beginning I have attended WriteFest. A writers conference held at Bundaberg University. This will be the 8th WriteFest and I look forward to catch up with other authors I've met over this period.

If it wasn't for this conference I may have not focused on e-book publication and wouldn't be where I am today. Isn't it wonderful to be in a place where not so long ago you thought about being, then a couple of months along the track, you're there. All I need to do now is to write and publish and of course sell and when my books are selling across the globe the sale trickle on.

More tomorrow. .... PRB

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter