• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu May 15, 2014 10:47 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 93:

‘I don’t know. You go and see your folks; you don’t want an old duck like me hanging around,’ Ma replied. In all the time she lived in Cunnamulla she’d never crossed the Warrego River; she was happy on this side of town.
‘Ma, I won’t take no for an answer. I’ll hire a sulky and horse and tomorrow we’ll go and see Pa and mother; and tell them about what I’m doing. They’d love to meet you and hear about your place.’
‘I insist on paying for the hire of the horse and sulky. I’ll pack a lovely morning tea and we can have a break on the way. I’ve never crossed the Warrego River since I’ve lived here. Wonder what’s on the other side?’
‘I’ll show you. Thank you for paying, because until I speak to Pa I haven’t any money. That awful bushranger stole all my money and Joe’s ring.’ Hannah’s voice quivered.
‘What about him? They haven’t caught him yet.’ Ma said.
‘Don’t worry about him Ma – I’d love to meet him on the trail – I’d give him a piece of my mind for what he’s done,’ Hannah said angrily.
Early the following morning, Hannah hired a horse and sulky from the blacksmith at the livery stable. As Ma waited for Hannah to return, she sucked in a deep breath to settle her nerves. She wasn’t used to going anywhere, especially to a property as valuable as Hannah’s parents’.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1891 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 94:

‘Jump in Ma and we’re away.’ Hannah’s bright smile spread across her lovely face, her eyes sparkling with her hair tucked under her bonnet. Ma climbed up onto the seat beside Hannah, placed a basket filled with goodies in front of her feet. ‘Let’s do it.’
Hannah flicked the reins at the horse sending it into a trot, ‘Steady on, Hannah,’ Ma put her hand on Hannah’s left forearm to make her steady the horse to a walk.
‘We’ll be right Ma I’ve been driving these horses since I could walk so hang on.’ Hannah pulled slightly on the reins to slow the pace of the horse and Ma settled back into the seat.
‘Hi there Alex!’ Ma shouted and waved when they drove past the front of the hotel where Alex was sweeping the front footpath.
‘Where’re you two off to?’ Alex called and waved at the ladies as they drove past the hotel.
‘Out to see Hannah’s parents. Be back late this afternoon,’ Ma called back as they’d passed the hotel and turned right heading toward the Warrego River.

Chapter 12

Ma had never crossed the Warrego River and knew little about what was on the other side.
‘How far to your parent’s property?’ She asked, when the sulky rattled across the old wooden bridge.
‘About ten miles – take a couple of hours. We’ll pull up at the six mile for morning tea. I can’t wait to see what you’ve packed,’ Hannah said with a smile.
‘Something special to celebrate you staying in Cunnamulla. This is a wonderful day. I’m pleased you coaxed me to come along.’
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Thank you dub - here is the page for today: 'The Shearer' - Page 95:

‘You don’t leave the house much do you?’ Hannah asked.
‘I’ve got far too much work to do looking after my guests and you - cooking, washing, and scrubbing the floors. An old lady like me doesn’t want to go traipsing about the bush when there’s work to be done,’
‘Ma, you’ve got to have time for yourself. I’m certain other guests wouldn’t mind you going out sometime. How old are you, Ma?’ Hannah asked.
‘I’m older than my teeth and why do you want to know my age?’ Ma answered.
‘My grandma, Nana, Pa’s mother, looks your age, that’s all. In fact you look a little like her, similar coloured eyes and grey hair. You remind me of her in many ways, kind, loving and caring,’ Hannah clicked the horse up to go faster.
‘How old is your grandma? Don’t forget we all have grey hair when we grow old.’
‘Old – she looks old. She has grey hair and plenty of wrinkles. I don’t really know how old she is,’ Hannah replied, concentrating on her driving.
‘If you must know, my last birthday I turned seventy-five,’ Ma admitted. ‘You know it’s rude to ask a lady her age.’
‘Seventy-five. That’s old Ma. I don’t think Nana is that old? I’ll have to take good care of you. You need to slow down if you’re that old.
‘You’re saying I only have a little time to live?’ Ma looked worried.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon May 19, 2014 10:21 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 96:

‘No I’m not saying you’re going to die. Three score and ten is seventy and it’s a known fact not many people live beyond seventy. You’ve only got to look on the headstones at Cunnamulla cemetery to see how many locals haven’t reached seventy,’ Hannah explained. ‘I hope you live forever Ma – I don’t want you leaving us yet. Here we are at the six mile. I’ll gather some firewood to make a fire.’ Hannah pulled on the reins to stop the horse under the shade of a huge gum tree, stepped down from the sulky and walked around to Ma’s side to help her step down.
‘I’m not so old I can’t get out of this contraption myself,’ Ma argued and stepped down unaided.
‘I didn’t mean you were too old. Actually when I’m your age I hope to be as fit as you are.’ Hannah thought she’d better stop pestering Ma about her age and attend to making a fire.
‘This cake is delicious, you’re a great cook. My mother used to cook for our family, but since Pa hired a cook, mother tends to her rose garden and keeps the homestead looking good,’ Hannah told Ma during bites of cake and sipping her tea.
‘I can’t wait to see your parent’s property. Do you have any brothers or sisters?’ Ma asked.
‘Now who’s delving into personal matters? No I’m the only child. I think Pa spoilt me because he wanted a boy to take over the property.’
‘Never mind. You’ll be happy training to be a school teacher,’ Ma answered.
‘Ma, can I ask you a personal question?’
‘Depends on what it is.’ Ma enjoyed sharing conversation with Hannah, she trusted her and felt comfortable in her presence. Joe certainly is lucky to have a girlfriend as good as Hannah,
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 97:

‘How long have you lived in Cunnamulla?’ asked Hannah.
‘‘Eighteen years ago I moved to Cunnamulla from Sydney town where I was born. I’ll share my story with you; at least it should keep you quiet and stop pestering me with so many questions.’ Ma paused and took a deep breath. ‘My mother passed away when she gave birth to my younger sister. I was ten year-old at the time.’
‘Oh how horrible.’ Hannah placed her hand to her mouth. Tears welled. ‘Please go on.’ Hannah coaxed Ma.
‘My father couldn’t cope losing my mother and having another child, he gave us away to people in Sydney Town ‘like a pair of unwanted pups’, I never saw my sister again. Her name was Gloria,’ Ma wiped her eyes with a small handkerchief, ‘I went with a family who looked after me and taught me ‘hard work never killed anyone.’’ Ma stopped and sat silently and remembered good and not so good times.
‘You don’t need to say anymore if you don’t want too, Ma.’ Hannah replied.
‘No I’ll be right. I’ve never told anyone my story before. It’s good to finally get it off my chest. There was little money and plenty of work – hard labour. I never saw my father again and I wouldn’t know him if I fell over him, he’s probably dead by now. Before he left, my only memory is his drinking and bashing my mother when he was drunk.’
‘Ma, I’m sorry I asked. Do you know where Gloria ended up?’ Hannah asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed May 21, 2014 10:24 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 98:

‘I was too young to know where she went. Only hope she lived a good life. I’d love to see her again before I die, but if I’ve only got a little while to live – probably I’ll never see her again.’ Ma’s voice cracked with emotion and her lips parted into a slight smile.
‘Times must have been tough?’
‘Ah…life wasn’t all bad.’ Ma reflected, ‘my new family made me work for my keep and they tried to educate me. Finally I escaped to work on a property outside Sydney Town, for a kind family who paid me one shilling per week. They taught me to save each penny – to cook, wash and work hard. I saved enough money so when I arrived in Cunnamulla I had sufficient money to buy land and build the boarding house. I always wanted my own place. The name ‘Ma’s Guest House’ I stole the idea from a place I saw in Sydney Town when I was a child.’ Ma stopped for a moment to reflect.
‘How’s your tea? Do you want another cuppa?’ Hannah asked.
‘Yes luv, it would be nice, thank you.’ Ma handed Hannah her cup to refill from the billy.
‘Do you remember anything about Gloria?’ Hannah asked.
‘Only one thing, a birth mark on the back of her left hand – I saw the mark when I went to the hospital to see her. She was bundled up in a pink blanket with her tiny hands outside of the bundle. This was a long time ago, but I’ll never forget the mark – a heart shape. I thought at the time this was unusual because how could a brown-coloured shape be on this particular part of the body?’ Ma went silent again as if she’d travelled back in time.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu May 22, 2014 11:07 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 99:

‘Ma – Ma’s not your real name – is it?’
‘No for goodness sake.’ She didn’t know whether to tell Hannah her real name or not. Then she decided to trust her, ‘I took the name from my business of ‘Ma’s Guest House’. My real name is Margaret Johnson. It’s the name I was born with.’
‘We’d better hit the road. I want to reach home before lunch. Pa and mother don’t know we’re coming so it’ll be a surprise. You know Ma I’m eighteen years old.’ Hannah gathered the rug and basket, with her boot covered the fire to extinguish the glowing ambers, ‘Come on we haven’t far to go.’ She leapt onto the sulky and gathered the reins ready to go.
‘You’re eighteen years old? You must have been born the year I came to live in Cunnamulla.’
‘Isn’t it a coincidence?’
Arriving at ‘Kahmoo Station’ Hannah saw her Pa standing on the front veranda and waved, ‘Pa.’ Her mother walked from the side of the house to meet them at the pathway.
‘Hello Hannah – what a surprise to see you,’ she said with a smile, ‘I thought you were away at school. Who have you there?’ Her mother walked up beside the sulky her father arrived.
‘Mother, this is Ma. She owns ‘Ma’s Guest House’ in town. I’m staying with her. Ma, this is my mother and my Pa.’
‘Pleased to meet you Ma, call me Martha.’ They shook hands.
‘Pleased to meet you Mr Young.’ Ma put her hand out to shake Mr Young’s outstretched hand.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter