• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'No, not yet,' Hannah replied, 'Joe and I are friends and you never know what happens in the future.' She continued to hold Joe's hand and looked at him with a deep desire to think the words she said would one day come true.
When they were on the corner opposite the church Hannah saw her parents and Ma on the footpath in front of the church. She released Joe's hand and ran toward them. After hugging each one, Joe and Alex arrived to greet them. Nat said, 'Alex, great to catch up with you again,' and shook his hand, 'you also Joe,' and did the same. Hannah moved next to Joe and took his hand. Eyes almost bulged from the other people's sockets, except Alex, when Hannah took hold of Joe's hand in front of them.
'I see you two are a little more than friends,' Nat said to both.
'Pa, Joe is the best thing to come along for a long time. I like him very much.' Joe appeared to act nervous in front of Hannah's parents and Ma. 'He's helping Mr Sullivan build a cottage on the land. Ma, after the service could we visit the court house to transfer the land please?' She pleaded.
Ma smiled, excited for Hannah and Joe to become more than friends. 'Is there a wake after the funeral?' She asked, 'if there is we'll do it after the wake because I think your father wants to return before dark.'
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1885 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:09 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'I'm putting on sandwiches and cups of tea afterwards at the hotel for anyone who wants to attend.' Alex informed the small gathering. 'We'd better move into the church, I think the service is about to start,' he said.
Most of the town folk gathered to farewell Mr Cummings. The doctor who treated him sat in the front pew, the matron beside him. Ma and the others sat in a pew behind the doctor and matron. The service began with the hymn 'Rock Of Ages'. Everyone stood to sing.
Brother Paul conducted the service preaching to the congregation of the tragedy of the fire which caused the death of Mr Cummings. He spoke of the bravery of Alex to re-enter the burning building to save Mr Cummings. Eyes went to Alex who didn't want praise for his deed.
Mention of how Ma and Hannah escaped bought relief to the congregation and to see them safe and well to attend the funeral of their boarder and friend. Nat stood at the end of the service to act as a Pallbearer, as did Alex and Joe. The timber box containing Mr Cummings carried by these gentlemen to a waiting wagon parked in front of the church. Brother Paul followed with the voices singing 'Amazing Grace' as the coffin rested on the rear of the wagon.
The congregation followed the wagon to the Cunnamulla cemetery for the burial service. After the words 'dust to dust', said by Brother Paul, he invited everyone to Alex's hotel for the wake.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Poor Mr Cummings, I think he would've enjoyed his service,' Ma said to Martha and Hannah seated at a table with refreshments.
'Yes, I think he would've.' Martha mentioned in between eating a sandwich and sipping tea. 'Hannah, obviously you and Joe are more then friends.' She queried.
'Mother, there's nothing to worry about. Joe is a good man. He cleared the block of land by himself and will be helping Mr Sullivan build the cottage. It's more than I can ask anyone to do. Yes, mother, I think he is the one!' Hannah said with confidence.
'I'm pleased you've finally found someone to look after you.' Ma finished, 'and he takes good care of you is most important. As long as he doesn't get any bright ideas to go on strike, like his namesake.' Ma smiled and almost giggled.
'Ma, you need not worry about Joe doing any of those foolish things. He is nothing like that other Joe,' she emphasised the name Joe.
'I understand sweetheart. Don't want you being hurt, that's all.' Ma kept eating; the sandwiches divine. 'When do you want to go to the court house?' She asked Hannah.
'Whenever you're ready. Now, if you're finished. Mother are you coming with us?' Hannah asked taking hold of Ma's hand to help her from her chair.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:22 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'No, you two go along. I'll catch up with some folks. See you when you return.' Martha replied.
'I'll tell Joe where I'm going,' Hannah said and left to walk over to Joe and her father who appeared in deep conversation. 'Excuse me Joe and Pa, Ma and I are going to the court house to transfer the land,' Hannah shouted over her father's voice.
'We're in deep conversation Hannah,' her father replied abruptly.
'Do you need me?' Joe asked.
'No. We'll be right, you continue your conversation with Pa,' she leaned down and kissed Joe on the lips and kissed her father on the cheek and left, 'love you both'.
'I've never seen her more happier or content. You must be good for her.' Nat replied looking across to Joe and saw his face flush. Joe didn't give a reply only turned the flush into a smile. 'What were we talking about before Hannah interrupted us.' Nat asked.
'You were telling me about what work you want me to do after Hannah's cottage is built.' Joe replied.
'Yes, that's right. Tilbooroo Station. Since I bought the property, I can't get the mongrel off the place. He still thinks he owns the place.' Nat explained.
'That's where I first met Joe Ryan and fell into his trap to help him with his idea to save the shearers. I shouldn't complain because on the morning the police were to arrest him it was my idea to change places.' Joe told Nat taking a sip of his beer.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'What you did son was one courageous act to take that coward's place,' Words exploded from Nat's mouth. 'What about when you're finished building Hannah's cottage we talk some more about what we'll do. There are plenty of plans for you and me.' Nat formed an opinion of Joe immediately. He intended treating Joe as a son he never had. His mind buzzed with ideas and visions of working with this man to show him more than a shearer's life.
'Thank you Nat. I don't know how long before the cottage is built, but hopefully Hannah should be in it by Christmas.' Joe sipped more of his beer.
'Another two here please Alex, we're thirsty,' Nat called to Alex who immediately served two more tumblers of beer to Nat and Joe.
'Cheers,' Nat said and clicked tumblers before taking a drink.
After saying farewell to her family Hannah held Joe's hand and said, 'I want to tell you about what happened at the court house. I'm so excited about owning this block of land and I see the cottage clear in my mind.' Hannah's excitement overflowed to Joe.
'Hannah, I need a cup-of-tea. Come on we'll make one in the kitchen. Got something to tell you.' He took Hannah's hand and led her to the kitchen. 'Sit while I make us a cuppa.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:09 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Hannah sat at the table and watched Joe top up the kettle with water, place the kettle on the stove top, take a couple of cups from the cupboard and sat them on the table. He emptied the old tea leaves from the tea pot and poured tea leaves into his hand and dispensed them into the tea pot before filling the tea pot with hot boiling water from the kettle. 'Time I told you my whole story.'
Hannah sipped her tea, relishing the taste. She couldn't remember when or if ever a man had made her a cuppa. 'What do you want to tell me?' Hannah leaned against the table waiting to hear Joe's story.
'After you spoke to me at the cells at Cunnamulla police station, I was shackled and placed in the back of a wagon. They took me to Charleville police station where I remained overnight.' He shared his story with Hannah including his trip by train to Rockhampton, meeting the other condemned Leaders of the strike. He told how strange to be called Joe Ryan instead by his correct name.
At the point of telling her about being found guilty and sentenced to three years imprisonment at St Helena Island Prison, and his collapse, Hannah sat stoic with tears flowing from her eyes. He wrapped her in his arms, 'don't cry.' He told her.
'Joe,' she blubbered amongst the tears and held on tight to him. 'He should've been there instead of you.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Often I thought these same thoughts. Now I'm here with you.' He kissed her on the forehead and hugged her tight, 'been all worthwhile'.
'Three years Joe. That's a long time in prison.' She said.
'Yes. We did it tough, but I got to meet twelve good Australians who believed in what they did. We all suffered together but looked after each other. Our sleeping quarters were a little cramped sleeping on hammocks, six to a room. Lucky I had the top hammock. I wanted to tell you my story so there are no secrets between us.' Joe felt better and relieved to share his story with the woman of his dreams. 'Your voice kept me alive.'
'I'm pleased my voice kept you alive. I can't imagine what you went through. I can tell you one thing Joe Gibson, you'll never need to go through that again as long as you live,' she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him sweetly on the lips. Joe returned the kiss.
'I was most impressed with your father this afternoon.' Joe said after they broke apart.
'Pa is a tough man, he's got to be. He's a good man and I love him very much. He's got plans for you and if I know Pa as I do you won't be shearing sheep.' Hannah shared, ideas floating through her mind seeing what her father had in store for Joe.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter