Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:57 pm

Thank you nevis: Page for today.

'The Proposition' - Page 78:

‘Mary,’ Bundy spoke, ‘the reason we wanted to tell you first about the discovery of the skeleton is because it was only discovered by a forestry worker this morning. Before we knew anything - the media, television, and radio, had descended upon the crime scene. We wanted you to know about the discovery from us instead of first hearing or seeing it on television.’ Bundy explained.
Mary loosened her grip on Kate’s hand, sat upright, ‘these bones mightn’t belong to Peter. He could still be alive. As his mother, I feel he is still alive but I don’t know where. I dream about him most nights and many times I’ve spoken with him and he tells me he still loves me. I don’t know if I’m going bananas or anything like that but I still think he’s alive.’ She finished and looked both Kate and Bundy directly into their eyes.
Bundy felt the hurt she was feeling, how a mother could suffer through these years not knowing if her son was alive or dead. Mothers know these things better than anyone else. If she thinks he’s still alive – that’s great because there is hope.
All through his working life as a detective Bundy had never come across anything like this present investigation. Was he becoming too old for this type of emotional torture?
They said their farewells and promised to keep Mary informed about the identity of the bones and returned to the crime scene.
Larry walked toward them when they alighted from the vehicle, ‘Doctor Fitzgerald, Forensic Pathologist is here to examine the remains. I haven’t spoken with him but I will as soon as he’s finished his examination.’...

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1888 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:46 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 79:
‘We’ll wait.’ Kate replied in an authority’s voice. Her eyes now dry but her heart ached for Mary. She had to know if the bones were Peter Clayton or else, she would go out of her mind. This could be the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Detective Superintendent Larry Smiles was interviewed by news crews at the crime scene and explained a forestry worker earlier in the day located a skeleton in a shallow grave when he was spraying poisonous weeds. If anyone had any information of a missing person, please call their nearest police station or Crimestoppers.
In the meantime, Kate and Bundy surveyed the area for anything which didn’t look right. Kate’s mind was filled with anger and frustration thinking a twelve-year-old boy could have met his death this way. She needed to find the truth.
After Bundy heard Detective Superintendent Smiles tell the media to contact Crimestoppers, his mind flicked back to 1989. It was a Friday afternoon, he was seated at his desk in front of his computer when his boss said, ‘you used to be a detective – didn’t you?’
Bundy remembered he acknowledged his boss he was, ‘then go to the Inspector at Neighbourhood Watch, he wants to see you about establishing a new programme – I think it’s called Crimestoppers. He’s waiting for you. I recommended you for the job.’
After all this time, Bundy’s thoughts still contained the adrenalin rush of excitement as if it happened yesterday. He remembered visiting the Inspector whose short conversation, ‘here is a video tape of the programme from America. Be here Monday morning to set it up.’
After he arrived home, he placed the video into the recorder and watched the birth of Crimestoppers in America. Bundy felt his pulse race – how did he get this opportunity to establish this programme in Queensland?

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 80:

Chapter 10

Monday morning couldn’t arrive quickly enough. This was an opportunity in reaching the top of the mountain after twenty years of hard work – this was his reward. At the time, to establish Crimestoppers was a hot potato for the government of the day. Bundy remembered meeting the Police Minister the following morning to explain his proposal on how he was going to establish the programme.
Victorian Police were the first in Australia to establish ‘Crimestoppers’ which took two years from start to launch date. New South Wales Police were the next to introduce the programme which took eighteen months; Bundy explained to The Minister it would take six months for Queensland to have the programme operational.
‘Unfortunately, I haven’t got six months’; The Minister wanted it completed in three weeks. Bundy’s jaw dropped almost to the floor to consider this option.
‘If you cut the red tape – leave me to it, I’ll have it done in three weeks,’ he proclaimed.
It was official; true to his word The Minister of Police cut the red tape to have Crimestoppers operational within three weeks without interference. Bundy received all he needed to complete his task within the prescribed time limit. He remembered working from daylight until dark designing computer programmes, training staff, preparing reports, working with television producers, and finally after three weeks Crimestoppers was alive and ready to go.
Crimestoppers was a one-stop shop to report any criminal activity in Queensland. The programme was simple. A caller telephoned a central number, each caller provided with a unique code number, information recorded on the computer; later dispatched to the appropriate police area for investigation...

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:18 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 81:
Success drew on success with callers telephoned from Tweed Heads in the south to Cape York in the north of the State. After the official launch, Bundy was buggered and needed a rest.
He didn’t realise at the time but the electronic node in his heart slowly degenerated over time which almost caused him to die in his sleep. If it weren’t for Ada who demanded he visited a doctor he wouldn’t be around to enjoy the rest of his life. He would have died in his sleep that night if he hadn’t done what she asked.
After a pacemaker implantation it was the end of the road as a police officer and he retired on medical grounds. That was twenty-one years before.
His mind returned to the present. How lucky was he to have a wife like Ada who’d saved his life on more than one occasion through their marriage? First in 1977 when she demanded he do something about his drinking alcohol; and then thirteen years later to visit a doctor to save his life. He was indeed a lucky person to have had her.
Kate walked to where Bundy was standing, ‘what’re you dreaming about now?’ She asked in a soft and inviting voice.
‘Ah, just a few things from my past life, how are things going here?’
‘Larry is about to tell us in a couple of minutes. Doctor Fitzgerald has completed his elementary examination and will inform us of his findings.’
‘Come over here – you two, we’re about to hear from the pathologist about his findings.’ Larry signalled Bundy and Kate to within hearing of Doctor Fitzgerald.
‘I’ve had a quick examination of the skeleton and have determined it is a female child between eight and ten years of age. From the appearance of the skeleton – I’d say she’s been here between five to eight years. I’ll arrange the skeleton be removed to the city morgue for further examination.’ He concluded his summary and left...

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:19 pm

The Proposition - Page 82:
‘Bloody hell – a female child, well, it eliminates Peter Clayton. Bundy, we’d better inform Mary of the find.’ Kate explained. ‘Thanks Larry, we’ll leave you; and continue on with trying to find Peter.’
‘Everything’s alright for you Kate, we’ve got another murder on our hands by the looks of this.’ Larry farewelled Bundy and Kate, ‘keep in-touch just in case there’s more to this.’ Larry returned to the crime scene.
Mary was relieved after Kate informed the skeleton wasn’t her son Peter. Kate and Bundy returned to their office.
‘What do we do now?’ Kate asked after she sat in a chair behind her computer. She felt sick in her stomach and somewhat deflated to think the skeleton wasn’t Peter. She had been so certain it was Peter and wished it had been.
‘I know its tough Kate, but this is a red herring and we’ve got to get on with the next stage of what we were going to do.’ Bundy explained.
‘You’re still not going on about the bloody family tree and the rubbish about finding what Quincy said – are you, its dribble Bundy, complete dribble!’ Her voice raised, her hands trembled and she looked as though she was going to break down and cry.
‘Kate.’ Bundy looked directly into her eyes, ‘what about we have the rest of the day off. You look bushed. Go home and we’ll look with fresh eyes tomorrow.’ Bundy placed his hands on her shoulder. He felt Kate quiver beneath his hands. He began to worry.
‘I need a good night’s sleep.’ Kate gathered her belongings and bid Bundy farewell and left the office.
Later that night Bundy sat in his lounge chair at home contemplating his next move when the telephone rang, it could be Kate, he thought when picking up the receiver...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:12 pm

The Proposition' - Page 83:

‘Hi there Kate, I knew you wouldn’t take long to phone, how’re you feeling?’
‘Who’s Kate?’ a male voice echoed.
‘Who’s this?’ Bundy replied.
‘Colin Hunt – you remember me Bundy. We were in the police together.’ The voice answered.
Bundy remembered the name well, Colin Hunt, what would he want? How did he find him? Colin was a detective when Bundy worked in the force. Colin’s reputation always went before him and trouble wasn’t far behind. He always wanted to be in the limelight like a beacon shining brightly so everyone would take notice of him. Not everyone did.
‘Colin – it’s been years. How can I help you?’ Bundy stuttered, thoughts running through his mind of ‘why’ Colin would phone him at this time of night.
‘What no – how do you do or how’re you going? How did you find me? I know we weren’t the best of mates but I always respected you and the work you did.’
‘Sorry mate – it’s been a long couple of days. How are you going? And yes, how did you find me?’ Bundy stated.
‘Great – it wasn’t hard with technology being the way it is today. I goggled your name and used white pages and presto, there you were on the Sunshine Coast in the Mary Valley. In fact, I’m not in the force, or the service, they call it today. I’m a parole officer with Corrective Services. I saw your ugly dial on television today where they found the skeleton in the bush. I’ve got some information which might help you or whoever you’re working with.’
Bundy felt a shudder go through his bones. Colin had never changed, he remembered bumping into him in a hallway in Police Headquarters one day and he told him a similar story. He always had a story to tell...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:39 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 84:

‘Why phone me about it – there are active police out there. What about the Homicide Squad?’ Bundy told his caller.
‘I tried to mate – no one will listen to me. It’s the reason I phoned you.’ He began to plead with Bundy to take notice of what he wanted to tell him.
‘I’m not working on the investigation. You’re not calling wolf again, are you?’
‘No – this is important. Just listen – this afternoon, I was approached by an in-mate at the prison and asked if they told me something important, would they receive an early release. It was information about the skeleton found in the forestry. Of course, I said I’d think about it. A prisoner, who’s due to be released in a couple of days, told this in-mate he’d grabbed a young girl, killed her and left her in a shallow grave in a forestry.’
‘Are you serious? Isn’t it strange how this skeleton has been discovered only today and this in-mate came forth with this information? What do you want me to do?’ Bundy requested.
‘You’ve got to help me mate, this fellow is being released in a couple of days and once he’s out – he’s gone.’ Colin pleaded.
‘How reliable is this information?’ Bundy wanted to know.
‘Pretty reliable – I’ve checked it out and he’s been in prison for the past couple of years for child molestation. It could be him?’ His voice sounded sincere and truthful.
‘Alright, give me your contact details and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.’ He gave Bundy the details he asked and hung up the phone.
His mind raced at a thousand miles an hour and decided to telephone Kate and relate the information to her...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter