mzawf.org • View topic - "old sayings"
Login

• Advertisement

"old sayings"

Interested in the origins of "old sayings"?
We use so many of them, passed down from one generation to another, yet we rarely know where they originate from.
If we find ourselves using one, then WWW it and post any findings!
Forum rules
"He who Dares Wins"
Del Boy 'Only fools & Horses' lol
  • Author
"old sayings"

Postby donna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm

I have always been interested in the origins of "old sayings", we use so many of them, passed down from one generation to another, yet we rarely know where they originate from, maybe if we find ourselves using one, we should do a bit of research, and post any findings :o

For this message the author donna has received thanks:
dub
donna
Support
Support

Have thanks: 158 times

Advertisement

Re: "old sayings"

Postby gonzo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 am

Like who let the cat out the box or a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat :lol:

For this message the author gonzo has received thanks:
dub
gonzo
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby dub » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 am

'Put your cards on the table'
Putting Conkers on the doorstep keeps spiders' at bay
'Your pulling my leg'
An apple a day keeps the doctor at bay
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby donna » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

WARTS AND ALL

When Oliver Cromwell 1599-1658 had his portrait painted he ordered the artist not to flatter him. He insisted on being painted 'warts and all'. :o

For this message the author donna has received thanks:
dub
donna
Support
Support

Have thanks: 158 times

Re: "old sayings" A Barrel of Laughs

Postby zuluhotel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:09 pm

It is an English saying, it came from when the sailors went out to see they would always have a large supply of rum stored in barrels, when the sailors got drunk they would all be very happy and jolly.

This is where they got the saying 'Barrel Of Laughs' from. :lol: :lol:

For this message the author zuluhotel has received thanks:
dub
zuluhotel
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 13 times

Re: "old sayings"To Beat about the Bush

Postby brillo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Posted by ESC on October 13, 2000

In Reply to: Re: Don't beat about the bush posted by Oxhead on October 12, 2000

This sounds definition sounds good I bet got a good mark
Ripped WWW

: : I am 9 years old and have been given some homework to find what the meaning of Don't beat about the bush means I also need to know its origin as well Thank you for your help

: : Daniel D.

: To "beat around the bush" is to skirt the main subject. For instance, if you want to tell your dad that you broke the garage window with a baseball, but you start off by telling him that your homer won the ball game, you are beating around the bush. You're avoiding the main point, which is that the window is broken.

: It sounds like you need a definitive answer to your question and the best I can do is to offer my surmise. It sounds like this phrase has a hunting origin. In the Middle Ages nobles would employ serfs as "beaters" to flush game out of wooded areas, copses, or "the bush." I suppose if someone only beat around the bush and didn't head in to the woods to scare the beast out, he could be accused of stalling.

BEAT AROUND THE BUSH - ".It was once the custom to hire beaters to beat bushes and arouse game birds for the hunter to shoot at. So the beater stirred up the action, but the hunter got to the point." From the "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).

Another source has a slightly different explanation. ".these beaters had to take great care when approaching the bush or they would 'start' the game too soon for the hunter to get a good shot. But etymologist Ernest Weekley and others believe that the expression, which dates back to at least the early 16th century, is a mixed metaphor. Weekley suggests that the old proverb 'I will not beat the bush that another may have the bird' joined with 'to around the bush,' an early expression used for a hound hesitating when circling the bush - and gave us 'beat around the bush." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

For this message the author brillo has received thanks:
dub
brillo
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 155 times

Postby Nevis » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:02 pm

gonzo wrote:Like who let the cat out the box or a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat :lol:

Its out the bag not box-who let the cat out the bag :lol:

For this message the author Nevis has received thanks: 2
dub, FundakeyI
Nevis
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 683 times
Highscores: 20

Next

Return to "Old sayings"