Crawley vs Wimbledon

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: Crawley Town!

Postby steveizy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 am

Crawley 1 York 1

The final game of the season nearly ended in disaster for record-breaking already promoted Crawley and the party was so nearly spoilt!

A dangerous York cross into the goal mouth saw David Hunt try to put the ball out for a corner. As it happens Crawley keeper Shearer had it covered but was beaten by his own man and we found ourselves a goal down from Hunt's own-goal after just 5 minutes of play. This stunned the Crawley crowd into silence for a few minutes!

This unfortunate score was totally against the run of play and Crawley continued to threaten York for the remainder of the half but to no avail.

This all changed when in the 65th minute, Levi Mackin fouled Craig McAllister inside the box and the Referee pointed straight to the spot! Tubbs converted the penalty for his 40th overall goal of the season amid wild cheering and jubilation from the home end! Crawley continued to push forward after that and were unlucky not to score twice more. So the result was a draw, with Crawley scoring both goals.

Crawley ended the season with a record 105 points and the longest unbeaten at 30 games. They have equaled most wins in a season 31, equaled highest goal difference 63 and fewest defeats 3.

Not a bad season :D ... hope to be back in July when pre-season friendlies are played and then to report on our quest in League 2 next season. This has been dubbed "Project Promotion phase 2" as pundits are already saying that Crawley, with their present side are capable of taking that league by storm and achieving back-to-back promotion 8-) Time will tell but Steve Evans has announced that he is going to sign some new players to strengthen an already strong side. He also expects to break club record transfer fees in the process!

Thanks for reading this season and see you next!

Steve.
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Postby smug » Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 pm

The Fixtures Board is Blank :? this is just the beginning :D & I'm still celebrating...Come on you REDS
smug
Support
Support

Have thanks: 129 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 pm

bulldog wrote:The Fixtures Board is Blank :? this is just the beginning :D & I'm still celebrating...Come on you REDS

The board won't be blank for long... They'll be some juicy friendlies this summer methinks! I wonder if Man U will send an eleven down for a return match as was hinted after the epic FA Cup tie?

This is indeed the beginning of a new era for Crawley and no amount of celebrating is deemed enough - we will celebrate all next season and then some more :D

Crawley Town are the guests of honour at the FA Cup final, where at half-time they will be presented with the Ronnie Radford trophy for the giant-killing of Derby County. This is the first time this award has been made and Crawley emerged top from online votes. I'm sorry but I meant to put a link up at the time but it was during one of my computer problem spells. http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompeti ... er-crawley gives the details.

Also, it will be interesting to see who Crawley sign and lose as the transfer season is upon us.

Interesting times...
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby dub » Tue May 10, 2011 7:34 pm

So it looks good then hmmm :? Whats the best outcome next season then? maybe leap a whole division :P
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 pm

dub wrote:So it looks good then hmmm :? Whats the best outcome next season then? maybe leap a whole division :P

That is indeed the plan :D The bookies have them as favourites at something like 5:1 to win league 2 next season! Pressure or what!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby brillo » Tue May 10, 2011 7:51 pm

If Crawley play man u in a freindly then I want a ticket
brillo
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 155 times

Postby steveizy » Tue May 10, 2011 8:10 pm

brillo wrote:If Crawley play man u in a freindly then I want a ticket

So do I ;) It will be a sell-out. I hope I'm a season ticket holder before then as tickets will be rationed. Otherwise it will be a case of going to The Broadfield the morning tickets go on general sale...
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY