Crawley vs Wimbledon

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: Crawley Town!

Postby steveizy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 am

Crawley 1 Darlington 0

Crawley had several opportunities in the first half but the ball stayed out of the net until the 67th minute when Ben Smith drove home from 25 yards. Several more chances followed, one with Tubbs hitting the post from a header. Darlington nearly gave Crawley a scare when Dan Burn headed over. This was the closest The Quakers came to scoring in a game that was nearly all Crawley.

This win over Darlington along with the win over Mansfield on Tuesday means that The Reds have beaten both the FA Trophy finalists in the space of a week. No prizes for this though!

The Reds edge quite a bit closer to promotion as Luton were held to a 3-3 draw at Kidderminster. The late Kidderminster equaliser might have changed both team's fortunes, as Kidderminster remain in contention for the play-offs, whilst the loss of 2 points has damaged any hope Luton have of being champions! Elsewhere Wimbledon had a comfortable 2-0 win over Barrow and Wrexham said bye-bye to their champions challenge as they went down 0-2 at home to Hayes & Yeading!

So, some more back of envelope calculations needed as everything has changed.

The Reds now only need to win two games, or get six points from their remaining seven games to be champions and automatic promotion.
The Reds need one win or three points to eliminate Wimbledon.

This Tuesday Crawley have a tough away game at York. The two teams haven't met so far this season but York are in good form in 7th place. Luton have on paper an easier task at home to 14th placed Kettering.

If Crawley win and Luton lose on Tuesday it's game-over and Crawley are champions. Exciting times!!

So once again but even louder than last time - COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Postby steveizy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Not quite there yet...

York 1 Crawley 1.

The Reds faced a tough, physical, York side and found themselves a goal down after 16 minutes. Steve Evans had some stern words for his players during the break and this must have had some effect as Sergio Torres hit the equaliser early in the 2nd half. All in all, a point from this meeting was a fair result - it was expected to be tough.

Luton failed to cash in on Crawley's loss of two points as they also ended up with a draw at home to Kettering Town.

So with Luton losing points, Crawley are just 3 points away from the title and, of course, automatic promotion :D

To quote Steve Evans ;- “We can smell the champagne but as of now we cannot drink it".

Crawley travel to Tamworth on Saturday, for what could be the deciding match.

So, at the top of our voices COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:17 pm

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Tamworth 0 - Crawley Town 3 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, with five games in hand!

Football league for us next season! Fantastic!

I'll follow-up tomorrow, but for now, that's it. I'm off to celebrate :D

WELL DONE YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Tamworth 0 - Crawley Town 3

Crawley won the title and promotion to League 2 in style.

Goals from Matt Tubbs and Charlie Wassmer did the job.

Tubbs got Crawley's first from a header after 26 minutes to put The Reds into a fragile 1-0 lead at half-time. Tubbs was then on hand again to convert a penalty just before the hour to make the victory that bit safer. With about 10 minutes to go, Charlie Wassmer put it beyond doubt. The nearly 500 strong contingent of travelling Crawley fans were starting their celebrations by then and sounded more like 5000!

Tamworth, to their credit having had Crawley win the title on their ground helped the party along as they applauded the players and Crawley fans to the strains of Queen - " We are the Champions" blaring out over the public address system! What an occasion it must have been to be there.

Listening on the Radio Sussex I-player back here in Crawley was a pretty moving experience and I had tears flowing. My Wife, Carol, was similarly affected!

Thinking back to when I started writing this piece back in October last year although Crawley were doing well, "Project Promotion" seemed to be a dream that could surely go awry. Football is like that! But Steve Evans and his men just got better and better. The fantastic FA Cup run could have easily distracted them or a lesser team but they excelled and came out even stronger. I think it is fair to say that they were extremely unlucky to lose the big one against Manchester United by a single goal at "The Theatre of Dreams". On another day, they would have won or drawn. C'est la vie!

Credit must also go to the board of directors, the late Bruce Winfield, Susan Carter and Chairman Vic Marley along with financial backers who saved this club from almost certain oblivion just a few years ago after the antics of the Majeed brothers. The new money and the mandate given to Steve Evans last July to assemble a team capable of winning promotion into the Football League has paid-off. Big time!

Crawley play Luton at The Broadfield on Tuesday where the Blue Square Trophy will be presented to The Champions after the match, but it is still an important match as Crawley now need to get more than 101 points to break the record for points. If they win the 5 remaining games they would get 109. Matt Tubbs will also be looking for more goals to add to his incredible 33 so far in this league this year.

I shall be at The Broadfield along with Carol and we look forward to a good game (Luton scored six against Southport yesterday :shock: )

Great times and Crawley are well and truly on the football map at last.

I must go now as more celebrating needs to be done :D

Steve.
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:23 am

Two games to report due to me being a bit lazy :(

Crawley 1 Luton 1

Crawley were ahead inside the first minute from a Brodie drive. A little later Brodie hit the bar but the ball deflected out. Luton then started to find their form and the equaliser came after 29 minutes from Alex Lawless. Charlie Wassmer was sent off in the second half with 17 minutes to go. 10 man Crawley played well and the score remained 1-1, which was a fair result. Luton were, in the opinions of most, the best team to have visited us this season. Crawley's unbeaten run continued!

The Blue Square trophy was presented after the match and Captain Pablo Mills and the team did a lap of honour. All this was accompanied by Queen - We are the Champions playing loudly of course. A memorable night!

Southport 0 Crawley 4

The Reds cruised to their biggest away victory of the season against 10 man Southport. Southport striker Matty McNeil was sent off after two successive yellow card fouls inside the first five minutes. Two first half goals from Brodie saw Crawley with a winning lead at half time. In the second half goals from Scott Neilson and Josh Simpson made it a thrashing!

Crawley's unbeaten run continues, now 27 league games and they remain on course to beat the record, 101, for points in the Blue SQ. Crawley are currently on 98 points, so one win would see the record equalled. With three games to go in the season, Crawley potentially could end up with 107 points!

This might happen this Friday when The Reds host 10th place Rushden & Diamonds. Unusually for a weekday match, Kick-off is at 15:00 at The Broadfield due to it being Easter.

COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Not being lazy today ;) - just got back from The Broadfield after a very entertaining match played out in glorious sunshine in front of just over 3000 fans.

Crawley 4 Rushden and Diamonds 0

Matt Tubbs scored after 34 and 62 mins from close range and again on 83 minutes from a header. In the last minute of play, substitute Jamie Cook drove an amazing shot in from 25 yards that had Rushden's keeper Evans completely beaten. This really was one of those classic goals, as good as you'll see anywhere in the world.

Great to see Matt Tubbs in action again, his presence and work rate is amazing. He fully deserved his hat-trick (his third this season) as well as "Man of the Match". This takes him to 36, not counting cup goals - just those in the league! I'm not sure if this is a record but he deservedly is in top scorer place, 13 goals clear.

Talking about records and I love talking about them, there are some more on the cards for Crawley this season:-

Today's win sees Crawley equal the record for points - 101 , with 2 games to go, potentially 107.

Most wins in a season 31. Crawley are on 30 with two games left.

Fewest defeats 3. Crawley also have 3 so can equal if they don't lose.

Highest goal difference 63. Crawley are on 62 so could equal or beat.

Longest unbeaten 28. Crawley matched that today.

The next match is a tough one away against Newport County on Easter Monday. Newport were the last team in the Blue Sq. to beat us and that was at The Broadfield. Don't forget though, the following week we went there and dumped them out of the FA Cup :lol:

Newport are going to throw everything at us. Theoretically they could still make the play-offs but realistically this seems unlikely. They'll want revenge over the cup and a scalp. So an interesting match with a lot riding on it beckons :D

COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm

The Reds go into the record-books with their defeat of Newport County by a single goal :D

Newport County 0 Crawley 1

A game that was mostly Crawley, but saw a couple of serious threats from Newport was deadlocked until the 68th minute when Dean Howell blasted into the net. Nice to see Dean on the scoresheet - he really works hard and has done so much towards Crawley's season.

The last 20 or so minutes were a bit tense with records riding on this and we had a scare or two as Newport pushed forward. This left holes in their defence though and Crawley were unlucky a couple of times in the last part as they took control.

The score remained 0-1 until the final whistle.

Crawley have beaten the record of points... now104!
Crawley are the longest unbeaten... now 29 games!
Crawley have equaled most wins in a season... now 31!
Crawley have equaled highest goal difference...now 63!
Crawley can equal fewest defeats which is 3 if they don't lose on Saturday to York, at The Broadfield!

What a fantastic season 8-)

I shall be at The Broadfield on Saturday for the final game which promises to be thrilling. Crawley have two records left to make theirs and one to equal. York, having missed the play-offs and with nothing to lose, will do everything they can to spoil the party :lol:

COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY