• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:23 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Climbing down he helped Hannah to the ground. 'I'll return the sulky and put Joker back in his stable,' his voice nervous and trembly.
'I'll go and make us dinner, it should be ready by the time you return. ' Hannah replied and walked toward the back entrance of the hotel. Joe got back into the sulky, 'what'd think of that Joker. I think she likes me.' Joe could've jumped over the moon he was so delighted with his thoughts and Hannah's kiss on his cheek.
After stabling Joker and giving him food, Joe returned to the rear of the hotel. When he walked into the hotel, Hannah was crying and in the arms of Alex. His eyes almost bulged from his head, 'is everything alright.' He voice quivered.
Hannah left Alex and ran to Joe and threw her arms around his neck, 'Mr Cummings died,' she sobbed. Joe held her tight and allowed her to cry.

Chapter 11

'I'll leave you two alone,' Alex said and returned to the bar to serve his customers. Joe held onto Hannah allowing her to grieve the passing of a friend.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Thank you Nevis. Here is the page for today: 'Click Go The Shears':

'He worked for Pa,' she sobbed, the words hiccuped from her mouth, 'he was a good man. A gentleman to both Ma and me. His reason for stopping work in the shearing shed to settle down at Ma's Guest House and live out his life in peace and comfort.' Joe handed Hannah his handkerchief. She wiped her eyes and released her arms around his neck. 'I'd better make us dinner. Can't have you starving.'
Hannah quickly gathered meat and vegetables and soon had enough food cooked for three. Joe sat at the table thinking how he could help Hannah overcome her friend's death. Just being there was enough.
'What work did he do for your father?' Joe asked to break the tension.
'Wool presser. A hard and tough job. At the end as he grew older he couldn't keep up with the work and decided to retire. What is it with you lot never talking about your work.' Hannah raised her voice. 'I want you to tell me everything, understand. Never keep me in the dark, Joe!' Hannah expressed sternly, she placed a plate of cooked food in front of him. 'I'll tell Alex his dinner is ready.'
'No, I'll go and tell him.' Joe quickly rose from his seat and rushed into the bar to tell Alex his dinner was ready. He returned, 'he wants to eat his dinner at the bar if it was alright.' She agreed. Joe took Alex's dinner to him and returned to Hannah.
They ate in silence.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 am

'Click Go The Shears':

'If you want to talk about Mr Cummings. I'm willing to listen,' Joe said in between his mouth filled with food. 'This is delicious. I didn't know you could cook. '
'I've been cooking far back as I care to remember. It's only chops and vegetables, nothing flash.'
'It's great! You are a good cook and a pretty one at that.' Joe said sincerely.
'Do you think I'm pretty,' Hannah smiled and looked at Joe.
'Too right I do – you're the prettiest girl in Cunnamulla without a doubt.' Joe placed his knife and fork beside his plate. 'I'll wash up. You sit while I make you a cuppa.' Joe rose and quickly made Hannah and himself a cup-of-tea. After he washed and dried the dishes he sat next to Hannah. 'You must be tied after everything has happened.' He said.
'Yes,' she yawned, 'I'm tied. Would you mind if I went to bed?' Hannah eyes drooped.
'Goodnight Hannah, sweet dreams. I'll see you at breakfast.' Hannah left to go to her room.
Joe joined Alex at the public bar, 'how was your dinner?' He asked taking the empty plate and utensils. In an afterthought he said, 'Alex how can I get a message to Hannah's parents to tell them about Mr Cummings?' He asked.
'All done! The bush telegraph. They'll know by daylight tomorrow.' Alex continued to attend to his bar duties.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:16 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Once Joe cleaned the kitchen after washing and drying Alex's plate, he retired to bed. Thoughts of Hannah, holding her, smelling her sweet fragrance kept him from sleep. His mind focused on helping her build her cottage. First to clear the block of land. With these thoughts raging through his mind he finally fell asleep.
Hannah slept in and awoke when the morning light entered her bedroom. Opening her eyes she realised her new surroundings. Blinking her eyes cleared her mind of sleep, she pushed back the bed covers and got out of bed. After making her bed, she washed in a basin of water beside her bed, quickly dressed and entered the kitchen.
'Good morning Alex,' the smell of bacon pieced her nostrils.
'Better this morning.' Alex replied and continued with his task, 'breakfast will be ready soon, take a seat. Kettle's hot if you want a cuppa.' He continued on with the cooking.
'Has Joe had his breakfast?' Hannah asked pouring tea into a cup.
'He had his breakfast long ago and went to clean up Ma's block. He mentioned something about you building a cottage and wanted to get cracking,' he placed a plate filled with food in front of Hannah, 'the toast is on the table, help yourself.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:41 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'What's he doing?' Hannah asked in between eating, alarmed knowing Joe left early to clear the block of land.
'He told me he was going over to the block to clean up so you can start building your cottage. That's all he said and was gone soon after he finished his breakfast.' Alex sat at the table to eat his breakfast.
'I'd better finish and go and help him. Before I do I need to earn my keep and clear up the dishes and sweep the kitchen.' Hannah finished her breakfast, rose to start and gathered the dishes.
'Don't worry about clearing up. You go and help Joe. What's this about building a cottage.' Alex asked picking up a tea towel.
'Ma gave me her block of land and I want to build a cottage. I want a small cottage, light yellow outside.' She saw her cottage in her mind's eye and smiled.
'How is Ma going? I sent a message to your father telling him about Mr Cummings death.'
'Thank you. I wanted to get a message to them.' Hannah finished washing the dishes and started sweeping the floor.
'Last night I told one of the shearers to tell your parents. He'll be at your parent's place this morning.'
'I'd better make morning tea for Joe. Would you like some scones?' Hannah wiped her hands on a cloth.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'For sure. I don't get to eat scones around here. Better start in the bar and get everything ready to open.' Alex replied and rose to leave.
'Alex, before you leave I want to thank you so much for allowing me to stay here until my cottage is built. Would you mind if I cooked and clean the kitchen. To pay my way.' she almost pleaded.
'Hannah, if you want to do that. There's no reason for you not to cook but you are not a slave. I meant what I said. You can stay as long as you want.'
'I hate not earning my keep.' She replied.
'If you want to do the job, I'll leave it with you. You don't need to do anything because you are my guest.' Alex farewelled Hannah and went to do his tasks.
Hannah mixed flour and other ingredients together to make scones. She threw a couple of pieces of wood in the fire to heat the oven. After twenty minutes a fresh batch of scones spread on a tray in the middle of the table. Each cut in half with a coating of butter and covered with strawberry jam, just like Ma made, she thought.
Leaving the kitchen and walking to her new block of land she sighted Joe with his shirt off, perspiration gleaming over his body. A shovel in his hand shifting remains of the fire to a separate pile. Sun beat down with a heat hotter than a furnace, quivering heat waves shimmered from the ground.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:50 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Joe,' she called approaching him, 'time for a break. I prepared morning smoko for you and Alex in the kitchen.' She reached Joe, a warm feeling moved from her stomach to her mind. She'd never seen a more muscled physique in all of my life. Her eyes glued to his mid-section. She covered her eyes with her hand to block out the sun so she could get a better view. 'I never expected you to do this work.' She pronounced.
Joe placed the shovel on the ground. 'I wanted to get an early start before it got too hot, almost finished. Don't know how I'm going to shift the stove.'
'We'll think of a way, come inside. It's too hot out here.' She waved Joe to follow her to the hotel. He followed.
'This looks good,' Joe said after he replaced his shirt to cover his body. 'I won't be long, I'll wash my hands.' He left the kitchen.
Hannah called to Alex who entered the kitchen, the aroma of freshly cooked scones entered his nostrils. 'I haven't tasted scones since Ma bought me some a long time ago,' he sat at the table filled his cup with tea from the kettle and scooped up a scone and quickly filled his mouth.
'They're not as good as Ma makes. No one can make them as good as she can,' Hannah said and sat at the table. She poured a cup of tea for Joe and left a plate filled with scones in front of where he would sit beside her.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter