Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:47 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

‘Hope you realise what you’re doing.’ Martha finished. ‘I’ll clear the dishes.’
Nat didn’t want his wife’s blessing only he would make the final decision in the end to purchase these properties. In his mind’s eye Kahmoo Station would become headquarters to his grand plan, the epicentre. Managers would operate each station he purchased. His eyes grew wide with admiration to witness these properties in his mind’s eye, his own empire to govern the operations and become the largest wool grower in south-west Queensland or maybe Australia.
I’ll make it happen, Nat thought. His imagination glowed with a picture of the future, riding across his empire to inspect stock, speak to each manager, plan on further purchases of properties until he owned enough to be the wealthiest grazier in the south-west Queensland. May even think about entering politics.
He remembered his father telling him often how when he was growing up in Sydney Town he longed to own his own property after working at ‘Camden Park’ with John Macarthur. His father wanted to be as rich as the Macarthur family and soon realised growing wool became the road to riches.
Stories filled his mind when his father told him in 1847, one year after Thomas Mitchell discovered the district of Cunnamulla, aboriginal meaning, long stretch of water Cunnamulla was the future. He married Gloria. They purchased the property and named it ‘Kahmoo Station’ situated ten miles west of Cunnamulla. With 300 head of sheep and a new bride the trip took nine months. Nat was born on their arrival at the property.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

situated ten miles west of Cunnamulla. With 300 head of sheep and a new bride the trip took nine months. Nat was born on their arrival at the property.
Nat remembered his father’s stories of cutting local timber, building a home for his wife and new born child, building sheep yards, shearing shed. They lived in a tent whilst his father built their home. Over the years these stories embellished to such a degree his father became a super person who would do anything he set his mind to. Now Nat's mind was set to become the wealthiest land owner in the district. His plan to become a reality because of knowledge his father taught him from an early age. In his mind’s eye he would become the finest wool grower in the district and respected by many other property landholders and pastoralists.

Chapter 3

Nat’s decision to purchase more properties led him to his parent’s home in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Martha accompanied Nat and wanted to spend time with her mother-in-law to learn any latest developments in cooking and house keeping. Ma decided to go with them being the first time she left Cunnamulla to visit the city. She couldn’t get over the number of people, often commenting, ‘they’re like ants, never seen so many people in my whole life.’ Her eyes bulged leaving her mouth drop open at the uncommon sights. Although she’d grown up in Sydney Town she forgot what it was like to live among so many people. Cunnamulla only possessed a small portion of citizens as compared to Brisbane.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

‘Do you think it’s financially viable to purchase those properties you speak of?’ George asked his son when they were alone.
‘If I don’t go ahead and purchase them now I’ll miss a great opportunity. J.G.Drake speaks of a grand capital of some 50,000 square miles situated from Cameron’s Corner stretching to Cunnamulla, Charleville and Thargomindah, our property edges the southern border. If I purchase enough properties before the declaration is declared of where they’re going to have this National Capital, I’ll beat everyone to the punch.’ Nat expressed puffing on his pipe. He valued his father’s opinion.
‘How many properties are you looking to purchase?’ George asked puzzled. He honestly thought his son would’ve been happy owning ‘Kahmoo Station’ which he’d built from nothing working fourteen hour days, seven days a week.
‘Depending on how much the bank is going to loan me,’ Nat expressed, he hated discussing financial details with his father before any agreement, Nat needed the costing. George required the full extend of the monies owed, for peace of mind, although he didn’t have any financial interest in the property, he still required how far his son went into debt.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:44 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

‘I didn’t need to borrow any money to purchase ‘Kahmoo Station’. I paid cash for the land, and built the rest when I received the annual wool cheque. Your mother and I lived in a tent for the first couple of years. You realise the land is on ninety-nine year lease. You want to mortgage the property for more than its value.’ George questioned.
‘If I don’t take this opportunity now, in the next couple of years the horse would’ve already bolted after the gate is closed.’
‘I was around when James Tyson purchased ‘Tinnenburra Station’; he wasn’t much older than you are now, and made it the largest sheep station in the region. I remember speaking with him not long after we’d arrived, his vision to apply for leases along the Warrego River and Cuttaburra Creek. After he obtained these leases this didn’t stop him, he went south to New South Wales and beyond. At the time he tried to convince me to expand from owning one station and buy as many as possible. I didn't take his advice.’
‘This is what I’m taking about. I’ll buy the properties or lease them west of ‘Kahmoo Station’ as far as Eulo,’ his excitement and determination flowed onto his father.
‘Who am I to stand in your way, if James Tyson can do it, there’s no reason why you can’t. Although he was single and possessed a determination to obtain more pastoral land and become a ‘Pastoral Tycoon’. You could be another James Tyson.’ George smiled and wished he had been thirty years younger and know what he now knew.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:04 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

‘I know what I’m doing dad. Tomorrow I’ll talk with the bank manager to find out how much finance he can give me, then its onward toward what I want.’
Both men looked into each other’s eyes. George didn’t want to be a sceptic only wished his son success with this new venture.
Nat met with the bank manager and secured a loan. ‘In a way I agree with your vision Nat, only problem I see is where the Federation Founders will finally decide on the ‘Battle of the Sites,’ is a mystery.’ The bank manager remarked.
‘I have it on good grounds through the ‘Democratic Federation’ will be in south-west Queensland. This is one reason I want to do this.’
‘At this stage, however, according to William Astley, journalist, he’s in favour of ‘Yass-Canberra’ region. Whatever place they decide I can’t see you going wrong with your plan and the bank is right behind you. We need more people like you to make this country ride on the sheep’s back, take a chance, so to speak, however Nat, you are in luck. I heard this morning through the gossip column if you visit Mr A.S.Cowley, Secretary For Public Land two doors down from our building, he will tell you how many properties are for lease in the Cunnamulla region. I’ll write a letter from the bank supporting your endeavours and you can hand it to him personally when you meet him.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:12 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Nat couldn’t believe his luck, being in the right place at the right time. As soon as he left the bank with the signed letter in his hand from the bank manager, he visited Mr Cowley. Did he need an appointment? No! His bank manager wrote a letter of introduction to hand to Mr Cowley explaining Nat’s needs.
‘Come in Mr Young.’ A tall thin gentleman greeted Nat at the door, ‘it's an honour to meet you, I’m Arthur Cowley,’ they shook hands.
Nat’s body tightened, fear filled his mind, and at the same time excitement flowed through his body, how could these actions be going so quickly. ‘I’m most pleased to meet you Mr Cowley.’ Nat stammered letting go of Mr Cowley’s hand and handing him the letter who quickly tore the envelope open, scanned the letter and sat behind his desk.
After placing the letter on his desk, he said in a friendly voice, ‘call me Arthur, I understand you own a property outside of Cunnamulla and wish to purchase more. Is that correct? The bank approved the finance. Exactly which properties are you interested in?’ Mr Cowley said in a gaff voice.
‘As many as possible for what finance is available. How does this work?’ Nat queried.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:13 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

‘Land in your region is surveyed; most of it is leased for future development. Conditions for each property needs improvement with stock, buildings and fencing.’
‘Mr Cowley, I presently own ‘Kahmoo Station’ about ten mile west of Cunnamulla and anything west of my station I can handle. I can perform those conditions.’
‘Then if that’s the case we'll look at a map to define which properties are available for lease or purchase.’ Mr Cowley left his desk and walked to a large table on the opposite side of the room. On top of this table lay drawings of maps. ‘Now.’ Mr Cowley pointed to the map moving his finger from one name to the next, ‘ah, yes, here is ‘Kahmoo Station’, he moved his finger to the adjoining property, ‘what about ‘Moonjaree Station’, the owner returned the lease.’
‘It joins my northern boundary, Peter Greig is the manager.’ Nat’s excitement drew to almost hysteria thinking he could own this property, his dream developed in his mind. A smile filled his face.
After Nat returned to his parent’s home, excited to inform his father about his luck, they sat on the front veranda enjoying a cup-of-tea and a slice of Ma’s damper thickly covered with strawberry jam. Nat said to his father. ‘Will you come with me to inspect what properties I purchased? I value your expertise.’
‘I’d be delighted. When do we leave?’ His father placed his cup on the saucer, took hold of his son’s hand and shook it, ‘I can’t wait until we leave.’ A smile covered his face.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter