Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 155:

‘I don’t think so – it’s stretching my luck a bit too far.’
After a hearty meal, the next race on the programme was Queensland Championships. All through the meal everyone shared their thoughts and anxieties of knowing Peter Clayton would at last be found. Mary was excited and kept looking toward the parade ring to see if she could see her son.
‘Mary, Peter is driving ‘High Class Investigator’ in the next race. The horse is carrying number two saddle cloth.’ Bundy beckoned to Mary by showing her his racebook.
‘His name is not Peter Clayton – it’s Peter Peacock.’ She looked at the page and astonishment covered her face.
‘Obviously he used your maiden name instead of his name.’ Bundy explained. ‘They’re coming out onto the parade ring – look, number two white with purple spots and purple sleeves.’ Bundy pointed.
Mary gazed at the horses and immediately saw her son she hadn’t seen for more than eight years. Tears filled her eyes, she wiped them with a tissue, leaned over to her mother and said, ‘look Mom – it’s Peter – we’ve found him.’ She gave her mother a hug.
Each horse and driver was announced to the crowd as they left the parade ring to enter the racetrack. When the announcer spoke the words ‘High Class Investigator’ driven by up and coming Peter Peacock, Mary stood and clapped and told her friends, ‘that’s my son driving that horse’ and promptly sat down.
Each horse made their way to the starting barrier on the opposite side of the track. Bundy, this time had bought his binoculars, placed them to his face, focused on number two horse and driver. In his mind he saw the horse looked fit; actions smooth, whilst the driver calm and focused.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/246166.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:37 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 156:

Immediately he understood why Ralph had asked to wait until the finish of the race before telling him about the DNA test result.
Bundy swung the binoculars to the front of the grandstand where the trainers and owners took their position. He focused on Ralph and noticed he appeared nervous. A tall blonde girl stood beside him. Bundy wondered if she was Peter’s girlfriend.
Suddenly the announcer raised the alarm the race was about to begin. A trumpet blasted across the airways signalling the start of the race. The horses were to race a distance of 2600 metres. They lined up behind the mobile barrier.
Bundy kept his binoculars focused on number two horse as the mobile sped away from the horses. Number one horse took a position in front – that’s it Peter get in behind number one and stay there, Bundy said to himself. First quarter thirty-one three, the announcer’s voice echoed. Pace is good – stay there Peter, be patient. This was a major race and tactics were upper most in each driver’s mind.
Around the final bend and heading for home. Bundy saw Peter swing his horse into the passing lane at the top of the straight toward the winning post. Number one horse moved out under pressure and number two horse ‘High Class Investigator’ slipped through on the rails to win by two metres. He won!
The crowd cheered especially Mary and her mother; tears fell from Mary eyes, and hugged her mother and continued to hug everyone around the table. Bundy looked at Kate and smiled. It was a fine ending to a tough investigation.
‘Okay let’s go to the birdcage and wait until after the presentation to see Peter and Ralph.’ Bundy told his friends.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/246166.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 157:

After paying for their meals they left the restaurant and walked to the birdcage. This is an area where horses, trainers and owners place their horses in a stall to prepare for their race. It is a huge building covered by a roof and stalls in the centre and around the side accommodating stalls for each entrant.
All clear sounded by the announcer. Presentation of a trophy and speeches by dignitaries took place in the enclosure on the parade ring. Ralph accepted the winner’s trophy and in his speech acknowledged the drive by Peter.
After the presentation completed, Ralph led ‘High Class Investigator’ to his stall with a maroon coloured blanket highlighted with the words QUEENSLAND CHAMPION 2012 embroidery in yellow lettering.
Ralph was the first to see Kate and Bundy standing near the entrance to the stall. He instantly recognized Mary but didn’t know the others, ‘we won!’ He smiled. Following him close behind was Peter with the blonde female who Bundy seen previously with Ralph. They were holding hands.
Peter sighted his mother who ran toward her son, Peter let go of his girlfriend’s hand, swung his arms and wrapped them around his mother, ‘Mother’ was all he muttered. His eyes full with tears. They hugged each other until pulling apart said to his mother, ‘mother, this is Carol, my girlfriend.’ Mary threw her arms around Carol’s neck.
Bundy spoke to Ralph and told him the DNA test was positive and he was Peter’s biological father. After the celebration of renewed friendships, and the return of her son, Mary thanked Kate and Bundy for returning her son to her, safe and well. They said their farewells to all and left Mary and her mother with Ralph, Peter and Carol.

At precisely eight-thirty Monday morning Kate and Bundy stood in front of the Commissioner in his office.
‘Bundy and Kate –I congratulate each of you on behalf of the department for finding Peter Clayton – or Peacock as he now wants to be known.’ He shook their hands. Both accepted.
‘Bundy – what are we going to do with you?’ The Commissioner asked.
‘I need a rest – if you don’t mind.’ Bundy replied.
‘And you Kate – can you work without Bundy?’ He asked.
‘I don’t know. This was a great investigation and he is a ‘High Class Investigator’.

THIS IS THE FINAL PAGE OF 'THE PROPOSITION'. HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING THE BOOK. TOMORROW IS A NEW BOOK. THANK YOU FOR YOU CONTINUED SUPPORT.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm

'Dynamic OMR Stories' - Story 1:

Each week in 2014 I attended the Pomona Writers Group. The facilitator asked us to write a story about a topic he chose. These stories less than 500 words are OMR (One Minute Read). I hope you enjoy reading each one.

A Blast From The Past

In 1903 my grandmother was born at Cunnamulla Hospital, her parents Hannah and Joe Ryan. Within a decade three more children were born to the same parents.
Birth of the fourth child, Nellie, Hannah died giving birth. Joe couldn’t take on the responsibility of raising four children under the age of ten and therefore gave them away to townsfolk of Cunnamulla ‘like a litter of pups’.
Relatives travelled from Warwick to Cunnamulla and accepted Nellie as their child. My grandmother never saw her sister Nellie again not knowing where she’d gone.
Throughout my grandmother’s life her thoughts always were on hoping to see her sister Nellie again. She never did. Although she lived an excited life giving birth to seven daughters with her husband Thomas, they lived a useful life together with love and affection.
My grandparents met shortly after the end of World War 1. They married and raised their family. Many years later my grandfather died and my grandmother remarried. She passed away at eight-three years old. Her only remaining wish to see her sister Nellie, this didn’t happen. She’d outlived two husbands and two World Wars.
My grandmother told me the story of her life and particularly about her father giving his children away after the death of her mother. She lived a tough life full of hard labour until she married my grandfather to raise her family.
In 2001 I established a website. To start the ball rolling I’d written many short stories and decided to post these stories onto my website. These were early days of the internet.
One of these stories I’d written about my grandmother for a competition, in this story I mentioned her mother dying giving birth to her sister Nellie who was taken away at birth.
Out of the blue one day, many years later, I received an e-mail from a person who’d said she read my story about my grandmother and she was Nellie’s eldest child. She’d been searching for her relatives over forty years. This was indeed a blast from the past. It had been ninety-nine years since Nellie was born.
After sending backward and forward information about our family background I satisfied myself this person was genuine. Through her research she located Hannah and Joe Ryan’s marriage certificate, his birth certificate and was almost at the end of her research when she read my grandmother’s story.
To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement. We’ve never met only spoke on the telephone and corresponded through e-mails. She is also a published author, so evidence must go back to the genes of either Joe or Hannah Ryan, our great grandparents, who had the initial writing genes. Now that is a blast from the past.
Word count: 463
IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE OF THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/501597.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:54 pm

'Dynamic OMR Stories' - Story 2:

A Contented Man Can Be Happy With What Appears To Be Useless

On my journey to our weekly writers group I tune the car radio into ‘The John Laws Show’. He begins his session with music to raise the dead, and shares with his listeners ‘useless information’. This information is ‘useless’ according to John Laws but for a humble person like myself I find this information quite invigorating and sensible.
John Laws is an icon on Australian radio, a personality to rival no other broadcaster in the nation. He entertains his audience with wisdom and candour. His reputation goes way beyond any other broadcaster in the nation, at times abusing the listener for being a ‘goose’ or some other insult, and gets away with such comments.
I am one of his biggest fans. Personally I don’t know John Laws but after watching him sing on television when he was twenty-one years old, knowing at the time he suffered cancer, I have remained a loyal fan. His rise to fame presenting commercials on television, with his golden voice which seeped into the minds of each listener coaxed them to rush out and purchase the product. After all of these years he continues to do the same. His golden voice is his most treasured gift to the people of Australia.
The question is, ‘would he be contented and happy given out this useless information?’ My personal opinion is in the positive. I don’t think John Laws will ever retire from radio. What would his listeners do? What would I do for my daily tonic of ‘John Laws Show’? Many listeners agree he is an Australian icon.
From interviewing the Prime Minister to the lonely pensioner who finds difficulty to pay the rent, he represents his radio public. Some callers abuse the crap out of him, does he switch them off, not on your life, he listens to their argument and if he can find a way to help the concerned caller, he does so through his hand maidens and Princess.
Would he be a contented man and happy when providing his listeners with useless information? I think he would be contented. After hearing some of this useless information he delivers, I giggle at some of this useless information because it’s so obscure and ridiculous. His focus to entertain his listeners with useless information is part of his show.
If he wasn’t happy providing this entertainment to his audience why would he waste his precious time on radio each morning for three hours instead of being home with his Princess? He loves to entertain listeners with his way of the world, the way he sees the world through his eyes and his listener’s ears. Yes, John Laws would be happy and content with what he does.
Word count:466
IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE OF THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/501597.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 pm

'Dynamic OMR Stories' - Story 3:

A Fractured Fairytale

Ever since I can remember from the age of four years of age, I always wanted to become a police officer, moreso a detective.
My wish was granted when I turned twenty-one years old and passed the entrance examination to the Petrie Terrace Police Barracks in Brisbane for training as a Probationary Constable.
After four months training my wish became a reality which commenced my fairytale of becoming a detective; first posting as plain clothes constable a dream working with detectives from the Licensing Branch.
My role to enter hotels and detect unlawful starting price bookmakers betting in a public place; this became my world. Success followed creating a place in history of detecting more unlawful betting than any other trainee.
After four months my identity became known to these persons and I was transferred to a western town as far from the city as possible to perform general duties in uniform.
My fairytale continued in policing and after a couple of years in uniform I rejoined the role of a detective in the Criminal Investigation Branch. Working in this field pushed me into some dangerous situations.
Seeking further experience I transferred to a country Criminal Investigation Branch and there realised my fairytale continued.
After nine years of investigating some of the most horrendous crimes, I received a promotion to Detective Sergeant-in charge of a Juvenile Aid Bureau in an outer suburb of Brisbane.
This position gave me an extra string to my bow to learn different part of investigation particularly with juveniles, children under the age of seventeen years.
Ambition became my goal to reach the rank of Commissioned Officer. My fairytale continued when I received a promotion as Sergeant First Class at the Police Computer Branch. This promotion enhanced my knowledge of computers which at the time were in their infancy.
To think nothing more could happened with my fairytale I was selected out-of-the-blue to establish ‘Crimestoppers’ programme for the department which became my baby. To think after twenty years service I was rewarded with receiving this opportunity to establish a programme to work with the community to reduce crime.
So successful became this programme I received an invitation to attend a Commissioned Officer’s Course to become a Commissioned Officer to make my fairytale complete.
Two days before I was to attend this course my fairytale fractured because of my heart. I underwent a pacemaker implantation to end my career of a police officer after twenty years service.
Word count:416

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: I'M OFF ON MY ANNUAL VACATION FOR THE NEXT EIGHT DAYS. MAY I WISH EACH MEMBER AND THEIR FAMILY A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND SEE YOU AGAIN IN NINE DAYS TIME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT FOR 2014 AND MAY 2015 BRING YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK!
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby mzawf » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:27 pm

:xmas :xmas :xmas :xmas :xmas :xmas :xmas
Merry Christmas Pat, to you and your family and friends, wishing you all a very merry festive time!
Wishing you all Health and Happiness in 2015

:dance
mzawf
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 514 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter