• View topic - Crawley in League 1
Login

  • Advertisement

Crawley in League 1

The fortunes of Crawley
Town Football Club
:crawleyscarf
Forum rules
Dedicated to Crawley Town Football Club !
Come on the Reds
  • Author
    Message

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm

dub wrote:
Thanks for the update steveizy and for the promise of a reminder of when the tickets go on general sale :applause
The Mrs & me will certainly need make sure we are in attendance :yes
Swansea have squad of 39 :-D I imagine that it's normal not to play the first team :scratch Swansea trounced Stoke 2 to Nil in Oct 2011,
and to state the obvious :-D , Stoke stuffed us up !
Back Feb of this year 2 to nil :angry
Swansea are on a roll :notworthy Crawley are on roll :notworthy
I'm going to love this match :yes Come on you reds! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:thunbsup :thunbsup :thunbsup
:mz


Well, they have the dilemma of whether to risk their best players who could get injured and, thus, risk their main objective - success in the Premier, or to field a lesser team and risk an upset :indifferent

They do have a large squad at their disposal, so I see a mix with one or two of their top players on the bench as impact subs if it is going wrong for them! They won't be taking this lightly though and I'm certain that they will pay us a bit of respect by putting out the strongest team they can manage.

If you and Nevis can make it, you'll have a great evening - of that I'm certain!
:reddevils

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Advertisement

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 am

Crawley 1 Leyton Orient 0

It was back to League football yesterday after the recent excitement of the League cup.

Initially, Orient looked the better team and our keeper was forced to save a shot in the first minute. Gradually Crawley came back into the game as time wore on. The first half ended goalless but with Crawley looking more confident.

The second half was much the same and a lot of hoofball was being played by both teams and not a lot of passing football. This all changed in the 72nd minute when Nicky Ajose put us ahead. :applause The assist on the goal came from débutante Mike Jones who only signed on Friday :applause Three goals in three games for Nicky now! The remaining 20 minutes or so were tense but The Reds were the stronger of the teams with a couple of close attempts.

Three points from this match put us in 4th place in League 1. A good position to be in but early season placings do not really tell us much. The crowd of 3278, including 679 Orient supporters was disappointing again. It is hard to think of ways to get more people through the gates... maybe the town really doesn't have the hunger for League 1 football - dunno why :scratch

Next is our quest in another cup - The Football League Trophy a.k.a. as the Johnstones Paint Trophy when we entertain League 2 Gillingham at Broadfield on Tuesday evening. The previous matches with The Gills last season resulted in one win each, both being away wins. This is not such a high profile competition but will give Richie Barker some game time with his new signings, hopefully to see our strengths and weaknesses. Tickets are only £8.00 for the terrace and a sell-out is extremely unlikely! Full details: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/artic ... 25130.aspx

Then, next Sunday, 9th September, Crawley host Portsmouth in the league. This is a local derby and Pompey have already sold out their ticket allocation. Whether we achieve our highest ever gate remains to be seen but indications are good so far The match is being televised live by Sky sports hence the Sunday fixture - for those who can't come.

All in all, a busy time for the club at the moment :scarf

I will report on both games - stay tuned!

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 pm

steveizy wrote:Crawley 1 Leyton Orient 0

It was back to League football yesterday after the recent excitement of the League cup.

Initially, Orient looked the better team and our keeper was forced to save a shot in the first minute. Gradually Crawley came back into the game as time wore on. The first half ended goalless but with Crawley looking more confident.

The second half was much the same and a lot of hoofball was being played by both teams and not a lot of passing football. This all changed in the 72nd minute when Nicky Ajose put us ahead. :applause The assist on the goal came from débutante Mike Jones who only signed on Friday :applause Three goals in three games for Nicky now! The remaining 20 minutes or so were tense but The Reds were the stronger of the teams with a couple of close attempts.

Three points from this match put us in 4th place in League 1. A good position to be in but early season placings do not really tell us much. The crowd of 3278, including 679 Orient supporters was disappointing again. It is hard to think of ways to get more people through the gates... maybe the town really doesn't have the hunger for League 1 football - dunno why :scratch

Next is our quest in another cup - The Football League Trophy a.k.a. as the Johnstones Paint Trophy when we entertain League 2 Gillingham at Broadfield on Tuesday evening. The previous matches with The Gills last season resulted in one win each, both being away wins. This is not such a high profile competition but will give Richie Barker some game time with his new signings, hopefully to see our strengths and weaknesses. Tickets are only £8.00 for the terrace and a sell-out is extremely unlikely! Full details: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/artic ... 25130.aspx

Then, next Sunday, 9th September, Crawley host Portsmouth in the league. This is a local derby and Pompey have already sold out their ticket allocation. Whether we achieve our highest ever gate remains to be seen but indications are good so far The match is being televised live by Sky sports hence the Sunday fixture - for those who can't come.

All in all, a busy time for the club at the moment :scarf

I will report on both games - stay tuned!

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

hi steveizy
Thanks for the update :thunbsup the fortunes of the :reddevils appears to be going from strength to strength :scarf
The club has had some top results lately and hopefully will continue building on this success :notworthy
The squad at Crawley consists of 26 plus 4 additional players :scratch and Gillingham have a squad of 27 + 3 additional players :scratch
Crawley will need to play a strong team on the night. :scarf
Gillingham who top league two drew 1 -1 at home against Chesterfield in their last match.
Chesterfield (ranked 19, league two) drew one all at Leyton Orient (ranked 23 league one) earlier this year.
We're coming on strong :punch
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

Ps: :thanks for sorting us out a pair tickets for the match against Swansea to be played later this month :applause
Topman ! :notworthy
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Crawley 3 Gillingham 2

Crawley progress to the next round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after this narrow victory over The Gills at Broadfield.

It was The Gills who opened the scoring when their Bradley Dack headed home at close quarters in the 22nd minute. In the 40th minute, new signing Joe Walsh hit a strong ball from the edge of the box into the top right of their goal :applause 1-1 First goal for Joe - great stuff. HT 1-1 which was a bit flattering to Gillingham.

The second half had only just started when we took the lead from a 47th minute Clarke goal. :applause 2 -1. The lead lasted all of two minutes. Gillingham weren't done yet! In the 49th minute Lewis Montrose levelled things up for The Gills 2-2! In the 86th minute substitute Scott Neilson hit a fantastic long range goal from outside the box straight into the top corner of the net :applause 3-2 Full time.

This was a good match to watch as both teams really wanted to win. Crawley had more chances and more of the play. Not much perfect passing and a fair bit of hoofball from both teams but good entertainment, none the less. It was also a good test for some of the players who haven't had much game time so far this season and the new lads.

The crowd was never going to be huge but the turnout of 1249 which includes about 150 Gills was disappointing considering the low ticket prices.

Next is the all ticket, televised League match against Portsmouth on Sunday. This will might be a big crowd at last.




dub wrote:
hi steveizy
Thanks for the update :thunbsup the fortunes of the :reddevils appears to be going from strength to strength :scarf
The club has had some top results lately and hopefully will continue building on this success :notworthy
The squad at Crawley consists of 26 plus 4 additional players :scratch and Gillingham have a squad of 27 + 3 additional players :scratch
Crawley will need to play a strong team on the night. :scarf
Gillingham who top league two drew 1 -1 at home against Chesterfield in their last match.
Chesterfield (ranked 19, league two) drew one all at Leyton Orient (ranked 23 league one) earlier this year.
We're coming on strong :punch
Ps: :thanks for sorting us out a pair tickets for the match against Swansea to be played later this month :applause
Topman ! :notworthy


My pleasure to be able to get you tickets. The club allowed us season ticket holders 4 each when normally it is one each. Hope this helps us get a record crowd for Swansea. To your other comment, it looks like Richie Barker chose a strong enough team to do the job but as I mentioned, it did allow game time for some of the other players in the squad.

I will report back on the Pompey match which we hope will bring us the points...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, wired
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 am

Crawley Town 0, Portsmouth 3. (Sunday 9th September)

The Reds lost to Portsmouth in a shocking defeat after being reduced to 9 men, a result of some dubious refereeing decision making.
The sending off of Josh Simpson and Hope Akpan gave Pompey one serious advantage.
Portsmouth playing 11 to 9 were bound to take control of play and that's what happened !
Against adversity Crawley battled to balance this numerical advantage, but after loosing two players it was all about damage limitation.

Not wanting to sound a bad sport :innocent methinks that had this cruel twist of fate had not occurred :no :thumbsdown In the worse case senario :crawleyscarf would resulted a no score draw at the final whistle.

It's again another example of how unpredictable prediction making is :rotfl a bad decision by the match official :angry can send things belly up
It;s just a blip 4 The Barkers Boys... next up :clap :clap
PRESTON v CRAWLEY TOWN (away npower League Sat 15 Sep 12, 15:00)
Preston held a nil nil draw against Scunthorpe earliar this year and the :reddevils trounced The Iron 3 -0 back in August, :punch :punch
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:mz:

For this message the author dub has received thanks: 2
RagReshyPag, steveizy
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 pm

dub wrote:Crawley Town 0, Portsmouth 3. (Sunday 9th September)

The Reds lost to Portsmouth in a shocking defeat after being reduced to 9 men, a result of some dubious refereeing decision making.
The sending off of Josh Simpson and Hope Akpan gave Pompey one serious advantage.
Portsmouth playing 11 to 9 were bound to take control of play and that's what happened !
Against adversity Crawley battled to balance this numerical advantage, but after loosing two players it was all about damage limitation.

Not wanting to sound a bad sport :innocent methinks that had this cruel twist of fate had not occurred :no :thumbsdown In the worse case senario :crawleyscarf would resulted a no score draw at the final whistle.

It's again another example of how unpredictable prediction making is :rotfl a bad decision by the match official :angry can send things belly up
It;s just a blip 4 The Barkers Boys... next up :clap :clap
PRESTON v CRAWLEY TOWN (away npower League Sat 15 Sep 12, 15:00)
Preston held a nil nil draw against Scunthorpe earliar this year and the :reddevils trounced The Iron 3 -0 back in August, :punch :punch
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf
:mz:


I was going to report this match but thanks to Dub, I will not need to now!

Dreadful game, awful referee just about sums it up... The Reds did not look good before the sendings-off but once they happened we'd had it :thumbsdown

Hopefully just a blip - one that we can learn from. Two players suspended over their dismissals won't help us. No appeal possible as not straight reds but two yellows.

Onwards and upwards... Off to Preston North End on Saturday - I'm going of course, hoping for a revival though this is going to be tough, very tough. I'd bite your hand off if you offered me a draw and a point from this today! Whatever the result, it will be a good day out to a new ground :scarf

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 am

Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2

Due to another matter, I was unable to go to the match in the end despite having a ticket. It seems that the Reds did quite well without me!

I listened to the live commentary on the Reds Player instead. The first half saw Preston start quite brightly but it wasn't long before Crawley got into the match, pressing Preston back into their half for long periods. The first half ended goalless.

The second half started with Crawley in the driving seat again. In the 54th minute, Gary Alexander headed home a cross from Nicky Adams from short range :applause 0-1 Four minutes later it was Alexander again when he let one go from distance, beating their keeper :applause By all accounts this was a world class goal. 0-2. Crawley came close once or twice more but it was Preston who got one back in the 91st minute 1-2 and with five minutes added time the last minutes were tense, to say the least. Full time eventually 1-2. What a difference six days made... last week the disappointment of losing so badly to Portsmouth at home to this week when we took the points from an iconic team that were unbeaten in their previous five matches.

This result sees the Reds in fourth place in League 1 with other big and famous teams below us. Of course, the season is still young and anything can happen in football as we all know but what a position to be in especially after losses to Swindon and Pompey!

Next up is our journey to Colchester on Tuesday evening, again I have match and travel tickets and I'm really hoping that I will be able to go. Colchester are currently sitting at the bottom of the table, having only three points from their six games whilst Crawley have twelve points from six. Colchester will have something to prove and will be up for this match but if we can play like we did yesterday, we should beat them. If only it were that simple...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm

steveizy wrote:Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2

Due to another matter, I was unable to go to the match in the end despite having a ticket. It seems that the Reds did quite well without me!

I listened to the live commentary on the Reds Player instead. The first half saw Preston start quite brightly but it wasn't long before Crawley got into the match, pressing Preston back into their half for long periods. The first half ended goalless.

The second half started with Crawley in the driving seat again. In the 54th minute, Gary Alexander headed home a cross from Nicky Adams from short range :applause 0-1 Four minutes later it was Alexander again when he let one go from distance, beating their keeper :applause By all accounts this was a world class goal. 0-2. Crawley came close once or twice more but it was Preston who got one back in the 91st minute 1-2 and with five minutes added time the last minutes were tense, to say the least. Full time eventually 1-2. What a difference six days made... last week the disappointment of losing so badly to Portsmouth at home to this week when we took the points from an iconic team that were unbeaten in their previous five matches.

This result sees the Reds in fourth place in League 1 with other big and famous teams below us. Of course, the season is still young and anything can happen in football as we all know but what a position to be in especially after losses to Swindon and Pompey!
:scarf :scarf

Next up is our journey to Colchester on Tuesday evening, again I have match and travel tickets and I'm really hoping that I will be able to go. Colchester are currently sitting at the bottom of the table, having only three points from their six games whilst Crawley have twelve points from six. Colchester will have something to prove and will be up for this match but if we can play like we did yesterday, we should beat them. If only it were that simple...

:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

Thanks for the update steveizy plus sorry to learn that you couldn't attend the match..
I know that it must have been a disappointment to you.
A consolation must be the result Preston North End 1 Crawley Town 2
It seems Barkers boys have their eye back on the ball :football :clap :clap
We hope you get your wish a can make the journey to Colchester..
Hopefully another scalp for the taking :kebab Back in August Colchester pulled a 2 all draw at home against Pompey.
Plus a no score draw away to Preston 31 days ago and drew with Scunthorpe back in April of this year.
I reckon that we will win by a small margin.. The Invincibles nil
:reddevils one :thunbsup
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author dub has received thanks:
steveizy
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby steveizy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Colchester United 1 Crawley Town 1

Crawley had to settle for a point in the end after a last minute penalty was awarded to Colchester and even that point is controversial.

After a first half with several chances for both teams but quite a bit in the Reds' favour the score remained 0-0. In the second half, Crawley had a few good attempts including hitting the post, before Kyle McFadzean headed home from close range in the 71st minute :applause There were immediately strong protests from Colchester that Kyle had handballed during his clash with their keeper and a defender. From where I was standing, it seemed a bit of a fudged goal but apart from that I'm saying nothing :whistling . It was allowed.

The goal spurred Crawley on a bit as they pushed hard having several good shots hitting the bar and the post before the questionable goal of ours was cancelled out when Colchester converted a penalty which, in itself, wasn't clear cut. It was against the run of play but levelled things up, so maybe we can't complain too much :angry

It ended 1-1 but not before Crawley had kept Colchester busy defending against several more Reds attacks,any of which on another day would have been goals.

It was a point, it could easily had been three from possession and chances but it keeps us fourth in the table. Quite amazing!

A valuable away point and an enjoyable game. Colchester's modern ground is impressive, with very good facilities, friendly fans and stewards and the food was well above average. Maybe the low turnout from about 2200 home fans was the only thing the evening lacked and makes our own low gates seem good in comparison.

From playing the then bottom team, next we have the current league one leaders Tranmere Rovers, who haven't lost this season, visit us on Saturday. This looks like being a good game and quite a test for our boys! I will be there!


:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
dub
User avatar
steveizy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Have thanks: 449 times
Highscores: 2
Karma: 125

Re: Crawley in League 1

Postby dub » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 pm

:reddevils 2 :clap Superwhites 5 :angry
The worst defeat of the season :cry After nail biting clash of the titans ! The Barker Boys at the final whistle suffered a trouncing at the hands feet :wub of Tranmere Rovers 5 goals to two.
The visitors of Prenton Park enjoyed and capitalised on :crawleyscarf and it has been reported poor defending by the :devils. A contributing factor to the outcome of this footballing fray :punch :punch
The Reds can still hold their heads high in the light of this crushing defeat as :scarf at times the forward attacks appeared formidable :punch with numerous opportunities to score falling short :football
Spectators were treated to a Goal Fest ! on the day. with loads of action, but alas the Crawley Town supporters were relegated to the bar to drown out their sorrows :cry :drink :angry :angry :drink :joker :drink :cheers :glug :rotfl :drink
The Superwhites retain top position on the table, boasting a strong pedigree and when the rovers were beating Arsenal one goal to nil (1973 League Cup tie).
Crawley town FC was still in its infancy playing at the floodlight, to a crowd of several hundred spectators.
:duke :duke to all those who built the foundations to what we see now, a force in football to be respected :notworthy
Moving on :innocent :arrow:
Next up Swansea City visit the Broadfield Stadium in the third round of the Capital One Cup.
mzawfers dub & nevis have tickets :kiss
Knock ! Knock !
Who's there ?
Eleven :reddevils :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil
You better be scared !
"This is one bird that's going get. Its wings clipped !"
:scarf :scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf :scarf :scarf
User avatar
dub
mzawfer
mzawfer
 
Posts: 724
Images: 16
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Have thanks: 397 times
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (7)
Karma: 35

PreviousNext

Return to Crawley Town Football Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron