• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:35 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 49:

SUN MAY 10: Still in R.A.P. but much better. Rumour has it that we will be divided into groups A1 B2 C3 to go home. Hospital ships will go straight home and the rest will go to Timor where we will stay for a month. Interesting to see if these rumours are true. Everyone very animated. Had good meal this evening first for couple of days and felt much better after it. Think I will make my first meal just plain bread and butter. I will appreciate it just as much as the best money could buy.

MON MAY 11: Well again but fairly weak. Will be let out this morning. Well it looks like we will be leaving tomorrow. I don’t know how I will go but I won’t be able to walk into Singapore that is certain. The doc wanted to keep me for another day but I thought I may be parted from the mates so he decided it would not make any difference. Everyone very busy packing but I do not think we will be moving. I am packed ready but will not be walking. Went to concert in evening – last one too by the speech and cheers for party. They certainly did a very good job.

TUES MAY 12: We are not going away now until Friday. Will be messing with the trp again today. Everyone A1 were assembled on Barrack Square for rehearsal. All are formed in Infantry now and our little mob are in 8 Plat. So it seems we will be parted for a while. We are evidently going in the second lot a week later for they have told us nothing about being ready or when we are going. The men are busy getting ready for big march to Singapore and cooks are busy cooking what they can in the shape of pastry and bread with what little flour they have. She seems to be going to be a mad scramble on the island and all sorts of precautions will have to be taken. Malaria will be the biggest job for me but with the course of quinine I am going on with now and the 3 mths supply of Atebrin I should be able to keep it off.
TO DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/591980.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 50:

WED MAY 13: Another general parade this morning on which Callaghan addressed the parade for last time. He seemed to express doubt as to going back to home on this trip. He seemed to make out it is another working party for Japs. Spirit of men still as high as ever never the less and everyone confident we are going to Timor and thence home. Nothing done about B2 men yet. Some talk of us going on hospital ship. I am not cheered with the prospect of parting with Jerry. They seem to be going away definitely tomorrow and things are going to be very quiet. I flat with him. Everyone busy going over their kits. More parades. One thing about our crowd, if they do get a chance they bung on parades. I bet the Japs wouldn’t have a parade a week. Last parade last night was at 10.30 “To see if the packs were properly packed.”

THURS MAY 14: Everyone going away, turned out at 5am this morning to dump their packs in heaps to be picked up. Later at 6am 30, 3 ton trucks came and picked them and a large number of men who were the final party to go to Singapore. I think we will have to move out of this building into A/T. It will be much better. Well all the fit men have gone and only we crocks are left. They left 40 to a truck and very tightly packed but very happy never the less. They had a good lunch of stew, a little stronger than usual, with their rice and a bun. Each man of our unit had 2 buns emergency ration in case the Jap lets the men down, for he promised to feed them en route, they have a little tinned stuff and biscuits put by. Things are very quiet here now but we may not be here very long. There would not be more than 15,000 men left now and 1000 of those at hospital. Afternoon the longest I have known since I have been in Changi but it had its compensations at tea time for we had a REAL MEAT PIE with ROAST SWEET POTATOES and TEA with milk and sugar in, the PEARS with rice. Surely food for the gods. Too good for us anyhow after all the weeks of eternal rice. We also had 2 buns which I could not eat and which I kept for supper when I am told we get COFFEE. A day to be remembered for although the meat in the pie was tinned tongue it was delicious and the first real taste of meat for 3 months. There are 25 Gunners altogether, 20 Officers and the rest N.C.O’s making about 80 in all. Tomorrow the a/15 and A/T are coming into the same building so we will very likely go back to ordinary fare again. I wonder how the boys are getting on in Singapore I understand they went straight to the boats and will be sailing, destination unknown, at midnight. I think the place will be Timor alright where they will be camped pending an exchange of prisoners. We are with the convalescent class here and there is a possibility we will go home in the hospital ship. I hope Jerry makes the trip O.K. for he is a very good scout and the only one who did not change or alter with the times under which we passed which is more than can be said of most of the men here, for, with the tightening of belts and shortage of smokes, men get very short in the temper, yours truly included. But Jerry is always the same and is never put out. He is deliberate in his speech, verbose perhaps, but what he says is usually well thought out and he rarely makes a mistake. Which I suppose is not surprising considering he holds a high position in the National Bank. He is what I would term “A good fellow” and I was very sorry to be parted from him. Learned today for the first time of the terrible casualties we inflicted on Japs at Bukit Timor Village during the last few days of the war here. 5,000 killed. Shows how determined they were to take the place. But we were outnumbered at least 5 – 1 and very tired from 3 weeks fighting with very little rest. Even then we did not lose the Battle for the Jap realizing he would never get us to give in by fighting us, used that other dreadful weapon. Firing on the civilian population of Singapore – a mob of about 1,500,000 crammed in a space the size of a small town where every shell that fell must kill people. We had to give in at this stage. But there is still a doubt in our minds. Why did “they” not allow us to keep firing when the Japs were landing on the Island and why did they not allow us to destroy our guns before handing them over to the Jap. These and a host of other questions will have to be answered eventually and I well say it will be a very interesting story, one which will reveal quite a lot. For there can be no shadow of a doubt that if we had been allowed to fire when the Japanese were landing in Kranji and other places then we would have held them off for a few days more at least. We had coffee and biscuits for supper which was very much enjoyed. Had long yarn with Jules on matters pertaining to war and Jap and he found them mostly very good at Bakit Timor, where he was working. Got some interesting facts from him and also learned he was on a burial party for 3 A.I.F. whom they found. It appears the party working there are still finding remains even after nearly 2 months. It was here the Jap suffered his biggest losses namely at least 6,000 dead and according to him the Jap is building the road and monument as a memorial to the Jap dead.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:01 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 51:

FRI MAY 15: Very hot night last night and the mosquitoes were very bad. Another excellent breakfast of meat pie and Bonox gravy, sweet rice and milk, biscuits and tea. Really splendid and I think too good to last. Readjustment of men today. No duties on ground, Light D on first and duties on top floor. I am still on ground floor but am feeling really good again. 2/15 and A/T are moving in this morning so we will be a bit of a crowd again. Saw men who are on duty flat out keeping up to work cleaning up old bed and burning rubbish. My kitbag seen unopened in store. Some chance of getting it back. Beatty says another small party going to Singapore to meet the last party from Bukit Timor. These about 1500 will be the last to leave before the hospital ship. We should leave on 25th or 26th. Seems awful long time ahead. Bugs seem to be very bad on lower floor but I should not be here very long now. We have a pendulum clock here which strikes the hour. Goodness knows where it came from, but it has quite a homely affect striking away through night.

SAT MAY 16: Cup of tea after check parade – no milk or sugar but refreshing. Food otherwise back to what it was a month ago. Still had a good time while it lasted. Under 2/15 management now and not so good. Very hot these days and we have had no rain for over fortnight. Put on light duties today although feel well enough to go on full. Started on Atebrin. Rumour going around that only A force went away other day. B force standing by and then C force goes. I may be one of these and not go in hospital ship.

SUN MAY 17: Communion before breakfast and after we went over to store and got some kit bags from store. Mine was among them but everything of value had been taken. Got most of my papers back and quite a few other things. Collected a few useful clothes together in case I need them in colder climate. Most of kit bags had been ratted by our own men of ordinance so will have to be thankful for what I have. Had some most delicious rice and bully rissoles. Best since I have been P.O.W. and at evening meal we had nearly a civilized meal. After tea went on lawn and heard a choir, home made, sing. Rumours that 7/10 A.G.H. are packing up.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 52:

MON MAY 18: Have a permanent duty now. Ration party. About an hours work each day. Big party of men found to be P.O.W. at Kuala Lumpur, about 150 of them mostly 2/19 and 2/29 with a few 2/15. These men have been reported missing believed dead. Good news for their people. Should have news of our going away today. Time dragging very slow. Another issue of clothes this day and if I can possibly carry away what I am getting I will have a fairly good kit. Getting variety in cooking of rice now but not the quality. Plenty of cups of tea through day but no milk or sugar. Brought meat in this evening, about 30lb by the look of the joint for 180 men. All waiting anxiously for news of departure date. We have daily issue of yeast now instead of every 3 or 4 days. It is the only antidote of beriberi. Has in it B1 vitamin which our food lacks.

TUES MAY 19: Very restless night, bugs very bad. Went to English camp to get few comfort stores, amounted to 10oz pine per man and little soup. Went to concert in evening but drizzled with rain so came home wetter seeing it. Very cold all evening and through night.

WED MAY 20: Very fresh this morning and I feel well. More kit bags to sort. Very little of original gear in kit. No definite news of when we are leaving. Still on light duty. Played cards all evening. Rumour has it that Russians broke through to 3rd line of defence of Germans and captured 88,000 prisoners. We have to be on water by 25th June and we are leaving some time next week, probably Tuesday.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:48 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 53:

THURS MAY 21: Went for rations today again. Sugar very short being 31/2 lb for 161 men. In evening played bridge and later went for meat. 72lb mostly rib so a lot of waste in bone. Japs have built a guard house on hill evidently to try and stop boys going for tucker. Does not seem to make a great deal of difference for stuff comes in just same and prices are high. Cigarettes are most expensive and boongs are about $1 for 20 and normally these are 5 cents a packet. They smell atrocious. Rumour has it that we will be leaving here next Mon or Tues. The first lot of soldiers Force A are at Timor and are to act as hostages while we go straight to Fremantle. We will be Main Force. The lot at Timor will stay there until the exchange of prisoners is to the satisfaction of the Japs. Parade before L.C. Callaghan tomorrow for all Medical Units. I suppose this will be the last parade. Rumours all men in Singapore have handed over tools to English trps and are standing by for embarkation.

FRI MAY 22: A week since the boys left and it seems a year. I think we shall hear something tomorrow. Very quiet day went for long walk in evening.

SAT MAY 23: Yes we heard today. Another overseas party. Destination unknown and number unknown. Every fit man available to go. Dr very busy reclassifying. Most of our lot will be going and it will be very likely next Mon or Tues. Will have to start thinking of packing up soon. Had bit of row with one of mess Ord. He accused Geo Strachan of backing up out of turn. He was not there so I took up cudgels and accused same M.O. of overdoing himself. Caused quite an uproar. Somebody else accused somebody else of backing up and result uproar. Tea time R.S.M. came down and order was restored. Still it gave M.O. a bit of a start. Notice on board this afternoon to effect that 2,000 men to stand by for overseas working party, 500 of whom will be A.I.F. The authorities seem to have worked the same dodge on last party when 6,000 were wanted but they took 1,500 and rest were English for working party in Singapore. I wonder why they don’t make a statement for all sorts of rumours fly around. Tonight’s special Orange is in the Naval Base and last party arrived at Saigon safely, rather conflicting rumours. Still everyone seems certain that we are leaving for home next Tues or Fri. Went for long walk with C. Watson after tea.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 54:

Chapter 8

SUN MAY 24: Reclassification by M.O. this morning. I suppose I will be A1 I feel O.K. again. 500 A.I.F. going away has been increased to 12,000. More kit bags came over and I was very fortunate in getting Jerry’s bag in which I found his spectacles. It was the only article of value left in his bag. There was nothing at all but clothes and a small tin of buttons and badges. I have the sig badge. Have to go to Singapore tomorrow. Supposed to be a working party. The last party was overseas working party. Wonder what the difference is. Spent the evening packing up and after tea went for long walk. Hope it is the last at Changi.

MON MAY 25: All bustle this morning. Early breakfast and already by nine. Left Changi at 11am. 25 per truck which was fairly comfortable. Proceeded to an old camp about 3 miles from Singapore. Camp appears to one of many evacuees’ camps and this one is a fairly large one. Attap huts with two tiers and I suppose it would normally hold 150 natives. There are 60 of us in each camp along side road and some natives, Malays especially, throw cigarettes to men. Camp in very dirty state and took quite a lot of cleaning up. Yaks have been making full use of huts at night by the manure. Others busy digging latrines. Everything seems to be as usual and the native kids look well fed. Things may be short in town but no shortage here. Jap guards around camp. There were 2 but now 7. They are very short and rifle is nearly as tall as they. Hope we are not here too long. Talk of going home seems to be at standstill. Coming past gaol some civs waved to us. Japs are using gaol for interment camp. Wonder how they are being treated. Tea time: Men seem to be doing well with cigarettes. The natives are giving them in quite large numbers and I think they are having the first good smoke for some time. I never expected the Malays to come good. Even the rickshaw pullers gave the boys some. Two Eurasian girls came along rd and went into shop bought 6 pkts each and tossed them to the boys. Another girl gave one of the men a $1. I never realized how much I had missed the civilian population until I came here. It is really good to hear the kids singing out and to see them playing about. There must be more children in Singapore than any other area for its size in the world. I just saw one Chinese woman dressed in the usual black cloth walk along the rd really dignified as usual when suddenly she looked around to see if the Jap guard was looking and gave a man a pkt of cigs and then walked on as if nothing had happened. Usually these Chinese women will not look at us let alone speak which shows that there are a lot of sympathizers left on the island. I think they are very much afraid of the Jap. Saw a Eurasian girl who could speak English who sang out she would do anything she could for us. Japs took 40S from her yesterday but she went into shop and bought $1 cigs for boys. Late after tea we put barb wire around area. 1 roll of concertina.

TUES MAY 26: Up 7am this morning after restless night. Floor very hard and hips sore. Another meal of rice and away in Jap trucks at 9am destination Bukit Timor. Ford works and Hume pipe seem to be Jap H.Q. After a lot of messing about we were taken to station where we had to move tank blocks of cylinders cement ½ and ¾ s ton. We took things steady but fairly heavy work for we were all light duty men. Was very fortunate to buy roll bread for 12 cents, this is bit expensive for me for I have only 70 cents left. We are being paid 10 cents per day about 3½ p. We are paid on same scale as natives but we get food free. Will try to keep my spending down to 10c each day for few extras. We had more rice for lunch and rice for supper with a very little meat stew but hope tucker improves. Bukit Timor Village seems to be bashed about a little otherwise seems the same. Buses are running and everyone seems very busy but I noticed 2 large crowds of natives of poorer class clamouring round shops rummaging for rice. I think money would be very short in the town. Was talking to English soldier and he told me the Eng are getting plenty to eat. Bit different to us. Still Tid.’Apa. Will have a shower now and I think I will sleep very well tonight.

WED MAY 27: Had a restless night. Off to work at 9am at same place as yesterday and found it very hard. Japs not too bad but kept us moving. Navy Day this day and all flags out. Saw a lot of Navy Japs. Must have been having day out in Singapore. Nothing of interest until knock off time when I bought 2 banana fritters 2 cents each and 2 slices 1 cent each and really enjoyed them. Very hungry for tea. Just sat around afterward until Tattoo.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 55:

THURS MAY 28: Another day for Jap. Had a good day in morning. Just one load gravel. Rained all day. In evening had to carry cement, sand and gravel for concrete. Had stand over Jap and in the end he got on my nerves. I felt like hitting him. Would very likely get shot if I did. Rain made things very uncomfortable and came home very miserable. Had good meal for tea, stew with lots of leaves and little meat but could have eaten as much again. Some Japanese just bastards some very good. Saw a large dump of petrol when getting gravel. Can’t understand why it was not destroyed. There are a lot of Jap graves all along Bukit Timor Rd. Also saw British Bomber being carted to Singapore. Looked as if it had been on ground for long time and was evidently destroyed on ground. Scored a pkt of lollies after tea. Must have been about 40 in lot but too many mates. I had 9. Fellow waited ½ hr until Jap guard went away and then threw them over wire to me.

FRI MAY 29: Off to good start to Bukit Timor. Had a good job today, put pipes down for water to guard hut. Did not do too much work and had descent Jap over us. Brought us down bucket of tea. It was very sweet and enjoyed by all. Knocked off early and it was said Jap had bad news. I think it’s just a rumour. That’s 40c we have earned. Noticed that Singapore seems to have got a good lacing judging by town end of Serangoon rd. Every house and shop had a shell or bomb fall on them and some were razed to the ground. All the roads seem to be patched up.

SAT MAY 30: Back to Bukit Timor today. Struck a good job in morning loading sleepers on to lorry. We got them from bridge supports and I knocked the spikes out. Did not do much lifting. The bridges were not damaged very much. Bad job all through. In evening got another load of sleepers and then went to stn. Making new ramp and fooled around until they knocked us off at 6pm. Had trouble with transport and finished up by running out of juice and had to push about ½ mile and another truck came from camp to our rescue. Got home 7.30pm and had mess immediately such as it was.

SUN MAY 31: Queer day today. All Nippon’s affairs seem to be mixed. First only 1 truck came for 80 men. Then when we got to Ford park there was no work for about ¼ of us so we sat down and proceeded to do nothing all day. It was a good spell and we made the most of it. Had the good luck to pinch 2 tins of milk from the back of truck won in Egypt. Rained coming home and all got wet. It appears that all main soldiers had day off today and only low class soldiers left. Certainly the brains seemed to be away.
MON JUNE 1: Struck another good job today. Went to Mandai Rd for sand and had to paddle in creek for it but had descent Jap over us. He went and got us a cup of coffee each. 10 of us and it was good and sweet. In evening had to carry bag of cement about 200 yds up hill. Rooted me but stood it better than some. Then went for more sand. Jap went on the hunt for bananas and pines but could not find any. Sikhs gave us a couple of coconuts between us. Not so hungry tonight as usual. We passed the oil wells and saw they were well and truly blown up and burnt. 48 of them and each would hold ½ million gallons. Total wreck now. Saw the turn off to first gun position on Mandai Rd and it brought back memories of 4 months ago. Notice Japanese are making park alongside camp. Hope we have not to dismantle them. I did not think it possible to get so many wrecked vehicles in such huge areas. The polo and surrounding grounds are full and various other open places. Had skin and short arm inspection after tea. Latter rather ridiculous.

TUES JUNE 2: Fortunate in getting good boss again today. Was digging trenches, foundations for building digout. Did not work very hard. Struck the dishes coming from Jap mess and had Dixie full of meat stew. It was wonderful. Afraid dignity suffered but it will have to suffer while food is around. Have felt full ever since. Jap sprung surprise on us today. Got us side and half of beef and young piglet about 50lb rations for 5 days. Should be all right if we get our share. Can’t complain about food today. Saw place in drain where I took shelter from M. Gunning aircraft. Looks harmless now.

WED JUNE 3: Same job as yesterday but only worked in morning. Found a shady corner and sat down in evening. Did not do much in food line and very hungry this evening. Japs have double guards everywhere, first time we have seen any. Supposed to be a manoeuvre. Rumour that Russia has declared war on Japan 11pm last night. Maybe something in it the way the Japs are acting.

THURS JUNE 4: Ran into bit of bad luck this morning early. Got caught taking tin of jam. Got couple of slaps from one Jap across face and then taken to guard house. Was confined to guard hut until Fri evening. Got no meals at all first day but was not ill-treated except for lot of throwing off by guard. Think we had guards sympathy although they have queer sense of humour and I think would only laugh if our heads rolled in dirt. The other fellow and I fully expected to be flogged at least. Had to sleep in hut with guard on duty all night. Floor was of blue metal fist big, very hard on back. Not much sleep. About midnight boss of guard woke us up and sneaked us a piece of pine each and then a dish of rice. Was feeling very hungry at time.

FRI JUNE 5: Still in guard house and had some sleep. Mate did not do so well. Has no shirt and skeeters very bad. Not hungry now. Looks as if we will be in here for rest of day. Had scraping of guard tin for breakfast. Did not appease appetite. Slow morning and none of our fellows came near us. Lunch time and no feed so called M.P. Tommy from gate and told him. He sent for interpreter. In meantime Jap gave us some rice and cucumber. Had good fill of it not knowing when our feed would come? Later in morning Jap Commandant CATO came and gave us a talking to and told us next time we would be handed over to M.P. That means execution. Then told us we would be free when our party went home. We were definitely unlucky in being caught for practically all the other fellows had something and the English are taking things as half carcases of beef and full cases of milk and bully. Have to be very careful not to be caught again for I think they will shoot us at least because we got off very lightly with just a bit of starving. Fellows very curious as to treatment when I got home. After tea was paraded to Major but of course not charged. Told us to lift as much as possible but to be careful not to get caught. Last night 2 men A.W.L. also and Japs got on to them. Everyone up until 9pm. Btn parade at dusk with large evidence of civs. Major gave us talking during which he said if there was any hope of escape he would help us but there was none. Also said again to mob to lift all they could but not to get caught. During talk boree was dragging tins down street and several of natives shouted out to them to stop! Be quiet! etc in English as they could not hear what was being said. Wonder what they thought of it all. The crowning piece of all of course was during the whole of the talk Jap was walking up and down lines counting men but of course could not understand a word. After seeing guard through night am certain Jap would never be surprised. Guard does 24 hr duty and have patrolling pickets also. Curfew enforced and all cars held up at barrier. Order by officer came around 4 times and complete black out enforced. Jap very alert whole time. 2 Men still away at btn parade.

SAT JUNE 6: Could have stayed home today but went out. Thought I may be able to get something extra. Went way up to Johore Bahru to get oil. Trip very interesting for first time we had seen what damage we had done. Town was well battered but not razed. Gov building was bashed a bit esp the tower. Causeway was blown up for 15 yds near town and Gate was well blown up. Main rd bridges to Nevere were well blown up and must have caused lot of trouble. Oil from wells ran right down to Straits and must have been one mass of flow. Trees destroyed. Brought 1 load of dieseline in morning and one in evening. Had lunch at 3pm but got extra from Japs. Got home very late but good tea on stewed pork and I had plenty. Very tired this night and think I will sleep well.

SUN JUNE 7: Only 50 men wanted today but thought I might as well go for get nothing staying in camp. Cleaned up heap of rubbish and scored plenty of meat stew at lunch time. Came home at 2pm and had sleep in evening. Boys got large number of cigarettes over wire today. Still quite full at tea time and did not eat any rice. I also got hold of some potatoes and will hang on to them. Rumour that Changi all packed up.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter