Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 29:

The Ghost Inside My Head

Being an author the ghost inside my head always appear in my imagination. Take for instance the current novel I’m writing The Year That Never Was. Indeed, a strange title you may think. This novel is the fourth in Australian Outback Series beginning in 1890 with ‘The Great Shearers Strike’.
The Year That Never Was begins before Australia is a nation. Britain is fighting in South Africa in ‘The Boar War of 1899 to 1902’. Joe Gibson, who is a major character in this series decides to join the fight with his friend Billy Campbell to show their patriotic duty as a Queenslander plus to the British Empire. Both enlist. In October 1899, they board SS Cornwall at Brisbane for their journey to South Africa.
Neither Joe or Billy had ever fought in a war. 22nd December 1899, their ship docks at Port Elizabeth in South Africa. The ghost inside my head formulate a conversation in my imagination on how to make Joe a hero. When Joe, Billy with five hundred other Queensland soldiers arrive on South African shores no Top Brass from the British army meet them. Joe takes control to become their leader directing soldiers to wait until the Top Brass arrive.
After two hours of waiting finally a Top Brass member arrives to find Joe took control. Under instructions they board a train to Pretoria a journey to take two days. Joe’s troop board the train for their journey.
The ghost inside my head worked hard to determine what would happen next. Half way to Pretoria the train is attacked by Boar soldiers. Joe instructs his men to open fire on the enemy. All are killed together with ten of his own men. Before continuing with their journey all dead are buried beside the railway track.
Christmas Eve arrived whilst Joe and his band of merry men are on the train. The Conductor, who only speaks Africana explained his discovery of Champagne. Joe orders all bottles to be distributed amongst the troop including the driver and conductor. Merriment to enjoy Christmas Eve is enjoyed by all.
Once the liquor is finished Joe decides to return the empty Champagne bottles to the cartons to be stored where they were taken. If later someone found empty bottles, Joe would deny any knowledge of the contents. The journey continues onto Pretoria. The ghost inside my head worked overtime to figure out what would happen next.
Arriving at Pretoria Joe is instructed to follow a soldier from the train to an awaiting carriage. Joe has no idea what’s going to happen or reasons why he has been taken from the train. Arriving at Military headquarters office he is confronted by Lord Roberts who is the Commander in Transvaal Region.
The ghost inside my head tells me Joe is to be honoured by this Commander for fighting the Boars on their journey. Joe thought someone must have told the Commander about the liquor. What will happen to Joe and his soldiers?
This will be questioned created by the ghost inside my head.
Word count: 519
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 30:

The Last Thing On My Mind

The last thing on my mind before I go to sleep at night is words to write for Pomona Writers Group topic. Ideas float through my mind imagining the story to share with my fellow writers. Like for instance a book I read recently. Messages from the book repeated in my mind. A great story of boy meets girl under harsh conditions; girl falls in love with boy.
Nothing new with this story of romance. Father of girl tries in vain to stop both from becoming a couple until girl is involved in an accident. Boy saves girl. All is forgiven by father. Boy and girl live happily ever after. Typical of romance novel.
Ready to read on my kindle e-reader are fifty books. Daily or whenever I have an opportunity I read as often as possible. Some novels are deleted after the first page. Others, which are few, I read from start to finish; like the story I’ve told you. I read as many stories from different authors as I can. My reason because when I’m reading a story I place myself into the seat of the author.
The last thing on my mind is to criticise the author, although, I must admit I falter when glaring mistakes, such as spelling, punctuation, grammar. I can’t do anything about these errors only ensure I don’t make similar errors to my readers. Writing a book is tough work. Takes heaps of guts, patience, and a huge amount of self-discipline to complete the task.
If I have a good book to read nothing better than to seep into the words, devour them the author has written. I love when the story has taken over my mind in such a way I can’t put the book down. For instance, each evening I look forward to the daily news on television. If I have a book which over-rides this daily practice, I can’t put the book down until the news is finished, this is the type of story I want to read.
To become a competent author, one needs to read as much as they write. Behind this fable lies truth of an author. My journey to become an author has taken many, many years from writing in long-hand on a foolscap ruled paper to now directly type the story onto a computer. Practice, practice and more practice to become an author takes self-confidence to another level.
The last thing on my mind after I complete a novel is to ask myself if I enjoyed writing this story for my enjoyment plus the enjoyment of the reader. If my answer is ‘yes’; I’m satisfied. Daily I test the waters to determine if my stories are accepted by my readers by posting a page from a book I’ve written and published onto a group on Facebook for over nine and half thousand members to read daily. This is my barometer to measure if my readers enjoy the story I’ve written.
After posting this page onto Facebook I receive from ten to twenty comments plus ‘likes’ daily from members on this group. Comments amuse me when the member asked, ‘what’s going to happen next?’ I’ve been posting this page daily onto Facebook over eight years. I am truly amazed by the number of members who comment daily plus the extra numbers who join the group.
The last thing on my mind with my writing to improve each time I write a story, novel or a message.
Word count: 590
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 31:

The Lead Filled Sock Of Fate

All through my life I wondered how the lead filled sock of fate affected me. In many ways. I've been blessed to have lived the life I have. Whenever something unusual happens the lead filled sock of fate always pulled me through the disaster at the time.
To prove my point: when aged ten years old I lived in Roma. Walking home on a hot Saturday afternoon after attending a Boy Club Meeting a police vehicle pulled up beside me. The police officer asked if I wanted a lift home. With a nod I opened the door climbed inside. The police officer introduced himself Rollie Cole.
The lead filled sock of fate stepped into my life again at twenty-three years old while stationed in Queensland Police Force at Cunnamulla. One afternoon whilst on duty in walked Rollie Cole, the police officer who when I was ten gave me a lift home. At the time I couldn't believe me meeting this hero. The lead filled sock of fate worked.
Shortly after this time I met my wife. The lead filled sock of fate certainly clouted me on the head. My dream came true. We married moved to Stanthorpe. The lead filled sock of fate followed me. One evening on duty with a young police officer we attended a disturbance at a local hotel. In the laneway beside the hotel this young person relieved himself in front of a crowd. I went to arrest him, looked for my partner who returned to the police vehicle locked the doors.
Instead of making an arrest I allowed the person to leave. When I returned to the police vehicle my partner apologised. His behaviour not acceptable. We returned to the police station to have him please explain his actions.
The lead filled sock of fate stepped in again when I read in the local newspaper the death of the young person who I didn't arrest on the night. At his workplace he fell from a roof to his death. Not long afterwards the junior police officer who locked himself in the police vehicle committed an offence to be imprisoned. At this point in my life I never realised the lead filled sock of fate again helped me.
Many years later an incident happened when a deranged man placed a M1 Carbine Rifle to my forehead ready to shoot. The lead filled sock of fate quickly stepped in because after his command for me to leave. I left. Later when he finally surrendered, his Armory consisted of one hundred rounds of M1 Carbine bullets plus two hundred rounds of twenty-two calibre ammunition. I was pleased the lead filled sock of fate stopped this mad man from ending my life at thirty years old.
Twelve years on the lead filled sock of fate saved me again. This time my heart rate slowed to seventeen beats per minute instead of seventy beats. If I hadn't visited my doctor that night I would've gone to sleep forever. The lead filled sock of fate certainly took control of my life again.
Hopefully the lead filled sock of fate continues to take control of my life for I have too much living to do before I pass from this life.
Word count: 552
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 32:

The Legacy

How does any human being leave a legacy? This question raised an important issue when my daughter said, 'Dad, Crimestoppers is The Legacy you leave behind.' I didn't understand why she said these words of wisdom.
Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. One Friday afternoon my boss stood beside me at the place where I worked in 1989. 'You were a detective, weren't you?' His question puzzled me beside he had knowledge I worked as a detective for most of my service as a police officer in Queensland Police Service.
Acknowledging him I was a detective he requested I visit the Inspector Neighbourhood Watch at Police Headquarters. The latest police initiative Crimestoppers to be introduced to the public. He recommended me for the position. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
At Neighbourhood Watch office, the Inspector handed me a video, 'go home, watch this, return here Monday morning. This is your baby.' His only words.
Upon watching this video of the establishment of Crimestoppers in America, I couldn't believe myself to be chosen to implement this programme for Queensland Police Service. After twenty years of working in the police this opportunity only came along once in a lifetime. An opportunity never to miss.
Monday morning arrived. No person was more excited about establishing this programme than me. Another detective, whom I never worked with joined our small team. My first instructions. 'Prepare a proposal by ten o'clock tomorrow morning in how you're going to establish this programme. Present your proposal to The Minister For Police at his office.'
I wrote probably the best proposal I'd ever written, making everything up as I went along. Victorian Police established Crimestoppers for their State in two years, New South Wales Police, eighteen months. I placed a lead time of six months to establish Queensland Police Crimestoppers.
Ten o'clock the following morning I handed my written proposal to The Minister of Police at his office for consideration. His words almost landed me in front of him on the floor. 'I agree with your proposal. I haven't got six months. Because of the upcoming Fitzgerald Inquiry, you have three weeks.' I picked myself up off the floor.
I said, 'If you cut the red tape, give me resources I need, I promise you I'll have Crimestoppers operating in three weeks.' I thought afterwards how I spoke to a Crown Minister this way. He agreed. To be honest The Minister did cut the red tape. That afternoon I presented a 'wish list' to the senior members of the Police Service. Everything I requested approved.
During the following three weeks, I worked my butt off, selecting four other staff, obtained a vehicle, office, equipment, plus computers. After three weeks, everything I wrote in the proposal completed. Crimestoppers Queensland launched by Channel Seven at Queensland Police Headquarters in an array of celebration.
Twenty-five years later I received an invitation to attend Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Dinner of Crimestoppers at Brisbane City Hall. I invited my two children to join me in the celebrations. During the night, I was interviewed by a Channel 7 Newsreader on stage before five hundred guests. This interviewer asked me how I established Crimestoppers Queensland twenty-five years previous. I repeated this story.
On our journey home my daughter said those prolific words, 'Dad, Crimestoppers is The Legacy you leave behind.' I still didn't understand her meaning of The Legacy.
Word count: 576
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 33:

The Mystery Lecture

Aged twenty-one years old I joined Queensland Police Force as a Probabary Constable at Petrie Terrace, Brisbane on 5th May 1970. Dressed in fatigues, fawn coloured trousers and shirt, starched so the trousers almost stood by themselves.
Thirty-six other Probabary Constables enlisted to become May 1970 Squad. Standing with my fellow Probabaries on the parade ground, a Drill Sergeant roamed between us shouting orders. Standing in front of me this Drill Sergeant bellowed at top voice spluttering spittle over my face. 'Am I hurting you son?'
'No Drill Sergeant.' I shouted at my top voice.
'I should be son because I'm standing on your hair. What's under your hat is yours whilst below is mine. I don't want to have any hair showing beneath your hat. Understand!' He shouted in my ear almost blasting my eardrums.
To make certain I looked smart on my first day I visited the barber to have my hair cut short. Little did I realise this Drill Sergeant had an arrangement for all Probabaries to visit the barber down the road from the Depot to have a regulation haircut to his standard.
Four months of training before being sworn in as a member of Queensland Police Force. Daily we marched around and around the parade ground to the beat of a drum plus echoing sound from Drill Sergeant bellowing in an Irish accent; 'left, right, left, right'. After marching, we attended lectures delivered in a classroom environment daily learning Police Duties plus Law.
Each Friday afternoon one hour before we stopped for the week Officer-In-Charge of Depot made this time 'The Mystery Lecture'. Without a conscious he pointed to one of the Probabaries to answer a question. On the first day he asked me a question. 'If you were standing on the corner of Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba and an old lady came up to you to ask directions to Holland Park. What would you tell her?'
I thought for some time before answering. First, I had no idea of Brisbane, nor Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba. What made this answer more difficult because I had no idea where Holland Park was. Pushing my chest out, I answered, 'I'd direct her to the nearest Tram Sir!'
Laughter rang around the classroom. Face of the Officer-in-Charge flashed red. His look at me wouldn't knocked me down if looks would kill. His answer, 'tell her to board a tram!' He screamed.
My mind filled with dread having no answer to his shouting. I went to be seated when he shouted. 'Don't sit down Son!' I wasn't his son. His demeanour raised to a point whether I was ever going to be sworn in as a Constable. 'I strongly suggest in the next week you find out where Ipswich Road Woolloongabba is; also, while you search; find out where Holland Park is so this poor elderly lady will be able to find her way home instead of taking a tram. Sit down!'
During the week I studied maps to find my way through Brisbane in case the Officer-In-Charge asked me a similar question. You wouldn't believe when we had 'The Mystery Lecture' the following Friday afternoon; I was paraded before the front of the class to be asked the same question as the previous Mystery Lecture. This time I didn't refer to any trams. Instead directed the lady to a taxi stand.
Word count: 566
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 34:

The Quest For Meaning

A movie 'Fields of Dreams' with actor Kevin Coster shows a farmer played by Coster who after planting a crop of corn a voice in the corn speaks, 'build it and he will come'. Throughout this movie Coster is driven by this message in the quest for meaning.
Instead of growing corn he builds a baseball arena. Ghost players from a past baseball team his father once played appear from the corn fields to play baseball. A message is delivered to Coster to seek out an author in New York to help solve the words, 'build it and he will come.'
His journey takes him to New York where he finds a retired author who he needs to take to the local baseball game. Whilst they're at the game a message displays on the screen only Coster and the author can read. Their journey continues across Amercia to find the person's name left on the screen.
Coster finds this person they need to speak with, a retired doctor. In his youth he wanted to play baseball with the same team. On his return journey home, the author accompanies him when they pick up a young hitch-hiker who wants to play baseball. All three journeys to Coster's farm when a baseball game being played between two ghost teams from a bygone era. The young hitch-hiker joins one of the teams.
Coster concluded his journey. Coster's father passed away years before Coster married not having met Coster's wife or daughter. Near the end of the movie Coster is seen throwing the ball to the catcher who is identified as Coster's father. A warm and wonderful movie. The quest for meaning is truly exhibited in this movie.
How can the quest for meaning be experienced in our lives? Two events happen to all of us. We're born, we die. These are facts. In between times we experience the quest for meaning. To explain an example of my life to show the quest for meaning.
In 2009 I discovered my quest for meaning by writing my memoirs. Before starting this task, I sketched on a A4 size paper in landscape commencing from most recent to as far back as I remembered of my life. I wrote bubbles of ideas joined by arrows. My mind developed a picture of how lucky my life had been.
The quest for meaning showed me various events in my life. Instead of following a certain direction this quest for meaning turned into a different direction. After watching the movie 'Fields of Dreams' I understood why Kevin Coster did what he needed to do to discover his quest for meaning.
Throughout my discover of the quest for meaning exploring highlights, an important event in my life discovered my ambitions to be a writer. This is a great discovery I learned to finally understand the quest for meaning.
Word count: 484
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 35:

The Resolution That Failed

Throughout my life, I have believed in two standards – honesty plus trust. If one can’t be honest and trustworthy not much left in any relationship. I’ll share this story of ‘The Resolution That Failed’.
In 2004 Brett Lowcock, a local builder in Imbil constructed a carport for me. Most satisfied with his work a decade later I recommended him to build a bathroom and loungeroom in my daughter’s home. At the time from previous undertakings with Brett I was satisfied he would complete the task without many issues. I honesty trusted him to complete the task.
During this time, he worked on my daughter’s construction I asked him to sand and paint my front veranda plus repair a step. Because I was going away I paid him in advance $150.00 in cash to finish the job in my absence. We shook hands on the deal. I handed over the money. At the time, I totally trusted Brett to carry out the work. He promised me on my return he’d have the job completed to my satisfaction.
Returning from my holiday everything was the way before I left. Asking Brett why he didn’t complete the task his reply, ‘when I’m ready’. The penny dropped. The resolution that failed raised its ugly head in front of me. I handed my money to him in good faith believing he would complete the task on my return. I failed to identify Brett wasn’t honest nor trustworthy.
Now thirteen months later I had the work completed by another person to my satisfaction. On several occasions, I’ve approached Brett about his dishonesty and trustfulness. His reply not worth repeating in this story. I’d been taken in by a most dishonest person. Caught between a rock and a hard place I approached a police officer to report this crime.
Brett told the police officer he accepted my money in return for completing the task, however, hadn’t been able to complete the job. That resolution also failed. I thought about taking legal action, however for such a small sum of money the cost would out-weigh the hope of retrieving my money.
Karma plays a huge part in our lives. Many times, in my life karma has come through when another has betrayed my trust by not being honest. How would karma play a part in the life of Brett Lowcock? In my mind, I honestly believe I’ll never receive $150.00 from him. What strange events happen after the act? Each time I mentioned the name Brett Lowcock to anyone in Imbil their reply. ‘He’s not much good. Dishonest into the bargain.’
The penny should’ve dropped before I parted with my money. Remembering a couple of years before when he did work on my friend’s home she complained how Brett overcharged her. Like I wrote before my two standards in life are: trust and honesty. If you can’t trust another to be honest than what else is left.
I’ve tried a new strategy knowing Brett will never repay my $150.00; however, karma will play a part in our lives for a suitable resolution. Monthly I write a letter to Brett telling him he is a thief plus a dishonest person. I also mention karma will play a part in the resolution that failed.
Word count: 551
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter