Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 39:

Tomorrow and Tomorrow?

Tomorrow never comes. Today is present, yesterday is past whilst tomorrow never comes. Tomorrow the day after the present day. For instance, Tuesday is always followed Monday. Tomorrow is hope for the future.
Speaking of future. I am gravely concerned about my grandchildren's future. Changes in my life have been many from living with no electricity to becoming overpowered with technology we didn't dream of having at their age. From the first sight of television to computers, technology overrides our lives.
My eldest grandson is seventeen years old, completed grade twelve at a private school. Obtained high grades for entrance into any university. Since finishing school he's now suffering from ATWS (Anxiety To Work Syndrome). After leaving school he worked a couple of days installing Foxtel application which he loved. However, this stopped. In fact, he stopped. Since leaving school his motivation to work is zero.
Promoting my books through social media is tough unless one comes up with a great idea. An idea floated through my mind. I wanted to have a presentation to show others my journey of how I became an author. On impulse, I passed the idea to my grandson. 'That's easy Pop.' His comment. 'You write your story. Leave the rest to me.'
After writing the story I wanted others to read, my grandson placed these words with slides together with music made a video to post on YouTube. After watching this video, I couldn't believe how proud of his achievements he made me. He brushed the comment off as nothing.
Each opportunity I link the video to Facebook, LinkedIn, e-mails. Within one week of publication this site recorded more than two hundred and twenty hits. Extraordinary effort. Time to speak with my grandson to explain how proud of what he accomplished. 'Nothing Pop.'
A deep concern worried me. How to motivate my grandson to learn more of this gift to become successful. I strongly suggested he attend university to learn more of his craft. His answer, ' No!' Attempts to make him understand the importance of his future in designing these models to help other author like myself fell on deaf ears. Frustration built inside of me.
My mind screamed how to help him discover his forte. I tried every concealable trick in the book to make him understand how important for him to study this area. To no avail. I wasn't going to give up.
Because he suffers from ATWS (Anxiety To Work Syndrome) I decided to stop pestering him. Allow him to make his own decision. Almost broke my heart a gift going down the drain of hopelessness.
Before I commenced to write this story, my grandson informed me he has accepted my decision and made application to study at university to further his career in the field of technology. My insides almost burst with delight at this news. I kept a straight face; nodded to accept his decision. My only desire is tomorrow and tomorrow he continues to follow his dream.
Word count: 510
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 40:

Well I Never

Growing through my childhood in Roma, during the fifties, my greatest thrill to sit with my elders listen to their stories. Words ‘well I never’ a huge part of their vocabulary. Sixty years later these words resonate in my mind reminding me of these times.
Today our children and grandchildren wouldn’t have a clue how to listen to their elders sponging up information as we did, because no longer do we gather to share our lives unless through social media. How times have changed. Technology has taken over our lives in more ways we can ever imagined. I’d love to share my stories with my grandchildren and children. Each time I try all they comment: ‘you’ve told us those stories before’.
Each year takes us closer to the end of our lives. After my grandmother passed away I tried to keep her memory alive by writing her life story to distribute between her relatives as a keepsake. Some thanked me, only two to my memory, others didn’t reply. Her words ‘well I never’ will never be spoken again. Her person seated on her favourite lounge chair, smoking her pony cigarette, satisfied look on her face, without a care in the world.
If I mention the words ‘well I never’ to my children or grandchildren they’d think, I’d gone bananas. Next, they’d place me into a retirement home for the elderly. Whilst I have my true memory, write and publish my books I want to stay in my own home if possible.
Monthly I speak with my elder aunt, who is eighty-seven years old. Our conversation boarders on realism. She is very good for her age keeping fit and healthy. Our conversations evolve around family. She shares her stories of growing up during World War 11 plus further back to share her memories of those times. After we finish I’m inspired on how when one reaches their twilight years each enjoy what they do to make their lives more liveable.
These words ‘well I never’ repeated a million times during her youth because in those times relatives visited often staying for weeks at a time. Her younger life most precious because of her six sisters, my mother being one, plus warm loving parents. When she had the opportunity to listen to her elders speaking of their daily experiences she sat silent drinking in the flavours of conversation with the words ‘well I never’ used constantly.
Those days are gone forever. Whenever my children visit me, which is often, their only request is to ask me to do something for them. Never wanting to share their day nor their personal experiences. These words ‘well I never’ will die with the people who once spoke these words to share. We will never have these words spoken again in the way they used to be.
Word count: 479
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 41:

What Do You Really Mean

My work as a detective in Queensland Police Service required giving evidence before a Judge and Jury. One investigation happened at Chinchilla, a town west of Dalby on the Darling Downs.
One night a handicapped male person entered the Chinchilla Hotel to have a quiet drink. Two young fellows in the hotel decided to tell this handicapped male they had a girl out the back. One coaxed the handicapped male to the rear of the hotel in the pretence a girl waited for him.
When the two walked to a dark area at the rear of the hotel the other youth in waiting punched the handicapped male to the ground, searched through his pockets, stole his money a total of $7.50c. They left the handicapped male laying on the ground at the rear of the hotel left the scene. My off-sider and I were given the investigation.
Speaking with the complainant, the handicapped male, his story clears of what happened. After recognizing both the assailants we took him to the local hospital for medical examination. Apart from bruising took him home.
Our blood pressure rose to a degree of exploding how any person would commit such an act on a handicapped individual, nor anyone for that matter. After radioing a Be On The Lookout For, a message came through to our police vehicle both males were apprehended at Goomeri. We arranged to meet the Goomeri Police half-way.
After exchanging both offenders to our police vehicle we returned to Dalby to question them. I shall never forget this investigation. I interviewed the first offender who sang like a bird telling the story of how they had been drinking most of the day at the hotel when the complainant entered the hotel.
His friend suggested they tell him a girl waited outside. When the complainant walked outside the other offender punched him, dropping him to the ground, rummaged through his pockets stole $7.50c. They left the complainant lying on the ground, found their vehicle then drove to Gomera when they were caught by the police.
My off-sider interviewed the other offender who didn't want to say anything only placing total blame onto his friend. He didn't sing like a bird but kept mute. Both were arrested and charged with Assault and Robbery.
Six months later both appeared before Honourable Reginald Carter, Judge and selected jury at the Supreme Court in Brisbane. I gave evidence first. One of the questions asked by the Defence Council I answered, 'not really.'
Honourable Judge Reginald Carter butted in and said in an authoritive 'what do you really mean detective?' If looks we daggers I would've been dead in the witness box. My brain froze. I couldn't think of an appropriate answer.
Honourable Judge Reginal Carter repeated the question, 'what do you really mean. Answer the question?' His abruptness from his chair frightened the daylights out of me. I mumbled something.
Finally, I lifted my chin and said, 'I'm sorry Judge Carter. I can't answer the question.' I kept silent.
Although this investigation happened almost forty years ago I still remember Honourable Justice Reginald Carter speak those words toward me, 'what do you really mean?'
Word count: 538
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 42:

What Will You Be Doing In The Next War Daddy.

Wars have been fought between countries for as long as history tells us. In Australian history, our major wars Boer War, World War 1, World War 11. In grade 8 I asked the teacher why we have wars. Her reply, ‘to control inflation of the economy.’ At the time, I didn’t understand her meaning.
When I turned seventeen years-old the government of the day joined other countries to fight in Vietnam. Conscription of males born on a certain date were ordered to join this conflict. Lucky my date of birth didn’t fall into this category. Many of my friends and workmates ordered to fight.
My thoughts went out to these heroes who were conscripted to battle in a country which had no connection with Australia. Thinking back to the question I ask my teacher in grade 8 certain reflections of her answer puzzled my mind.
Australian population grew annually at a steady rate. Inflation grew accordingly. Why did Australia want to become involved in this conflict? Studying the years between each conflict showed every twenty-five years a world war happened. Many lost their lives, many more wounded, many never recovering from their time on the battlefront.
Suddenly the penny dropped to understand the answer my grade 8 teacher gave. With so many Australians killed in these conflicts, thus reduced the population of our country controlled inflation. These brave heroes gave their life for others to survive.
If a war happened today, countries wouldn’t need to worry about inflation because they’d be no one alive. To end World War 11 an Atomic Bomb used to stop the Japanese. Imagine the type of bomb to stop the world in today’s scientific age. We’d be acting out those Hollywood movies when the world ended with a big bang.
What will you be doing in the next war Daddy if asked by my children would be to sit tight at Brooloo waiting for the final hours of doom to arrive. In today’s world of media, instant messages across the globe within seconds reach my computer at Brooloo, I’d sit and wait for the world to fight their own battles until some country raised their flag in defeat.
According to my twenty-five-year conflict to control inflation, more than seventy years have passed since the ending of World War 11. Yes, inflation has risen. Another World War would surely control inflation for the many who would lose their lives in today’s military warfare of bombs never seen before.
Why can’t people live in peace, resolve their conflicts without wars? Greed, power, money. Why should any country on earth possess an Armory so strong to threaten their neighbours? Surely these questions should be resolved.
Personally, I’d hate to witness a war currently of my life. Born after World War 11, living through the conflict of Vietnam, other conflicts especially the present overseas worry me. I’d hate to think if my grandchildren were conscripted into battle.
To answer this topic ‘What Will You Be Doing In the Next War Daddy?’ Hopefully country leaders will resolve their difference to live in peace. I’ll still be living in peace at Brooloo.
Word count: 537
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 43:

Where There Is A Will

Malcolm Fraser, Prime Minister of Australia once used these words, 'Life wasn't meant to be easy'. I remember his words today although he'd spoken them thirty years ago. At the time these words became a turning point in my life. My role guarding him.
We never had the terrorist threats as we have today. I remember driving in an unmarked police vehicle to Oakey Air Force Base to meet his plane. Apart from his personal security personnel, we were assigned to protect the Prime Minister whilst he visited towns in our area.
Mingling amongst the crowd people swarmed around the Prime Minister like bees to honey. I kept my distance like a duck out of water. A tap on my shoulder instantly returned by mind to the present, 'where's the Prime Minister?' Superintendent Byers shouted.
Pointing toward the large gathering I didn't say a word until Superintendent Byers said. 'If someone tries to shoot the Prime Minister I want you to take the bullet.' Like bloody hell I'll take a bullet for the Prime Minister went through my mind. My life is more important than his. I have a wife and family. Immediately I moved closer to the crowd surrounding the Prime Minister.
Where there is a will. There is a way. My instincts filled my mind. I stood on the outskirts of the crowd surrounding the Prime Minister whilst he made his speech to open the function. After which the crowd dispersed leaving the Prime Minister with his security staff.
On our return to Oakey Air Force Base Superintendent Byers vehicle led the procession at a rapid pace. Driving the second vehicle I had difficulty keeping up with him. Behind my vehicle the Prime Minister's vehicle. A vehicle approached us swerved to avoid collision with Superintendent Byers vehicle. I looked in the rear-a-vision mirror. The Prime Minister's vehicle stopped on the side of the roadway.
The Prime Minister alighted from his vehicle walked to toward the vehicle which by this time stopped on the side of the roadway. The driver shaking and nervous. The Prime Minister personally apologised to the driver, turned to me and said, 'who was the bloody idiot who drove this driver off the road!' He blasted.
By this time Superintendent Byers arrived at the scene. 'Me Mr Prime Minister.' He replied.
'I've apologised to this person. Now I want you to apologise also.' The Prime Minister said in a threatening voice.
Superintendent Byers apologised to the driver who by this time settled his nerves. I thought to myself, where there is a will. There is a way.
Word count: 439
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 44:

With More Than Usual Intent

1975 my first real investigation as a Detective Constable. Only a couple of months before, I was transferred to Dalby Criminal Investigation Branch to fulfil my life ambition to become a designated Detective in Queensland Police Force.
Detective Sergeant Lionel Bacchi our Officer-in-charge of Criminal Investigation Branch became my mentor. On a Monday morning he instructed me to take Plain Clothes Constable Peter Martin travel to Chinchilla to investigation two fires. This became my first major investigation.
We travelled to Chinchilla to interview a young male for setting fires, one in his neighbour's garage, another in a shoe store. I interviewed this young male in the presence of his mother. His admissions astonished me with his forthright admission of guilt wanting to burn down his neighbour's garage because of an altercation between neighbours. Cut and dry investigation, you may say.
With the second investigation this young male went to a storeroom at the rear of the local shoe shop. Cardboard boxes were staked along the rear wall. He removed these boxes placed them into a pile in the centre of the room. He was about to strike a match when the owner of the store entered the room stopped the young male from setting the boxes on fire. If the boxes ignited the whole shopping centre of Chinchilla would've been destroyed.
At the time I interview this young male he admitted to stacking the boxes; about to strike a match when the owner came into the storeroom to stop him. I asked a question, 'why did you want to set fire to these boxes?'
His reply, 'I don't know.'
On our return to Dalby Lionel wanted us to call into his home to discuss what we did. I handed him the Record of Interview I recorded from the young male person. We bid him goodnight. Next morning when we arrived at the office, Lionel wanted to speak with me. His demeanour not exciting. His words, 'when you asked him the question why did you want to set fire to these boxes.'
'Yes. He told me he didn't know.'
'You haven't proven intent.' His words fell on deaf ears. I didn't have a clue what he spoke about. Lionel continued, 'when a person plans to commit an offence, you need to understand he thinks through the process of intent, which is a state of mind. In this case you haven't proven 'intent'. His defence could be he wanted to set fire to the boxes to warm his hands which is no offence.' My head bowed. I didn't study enough to understand the law.
'Don't worry about this because I'll prosecute to make certain he doesn't raise the defence.' I thanked Lionel for this valuable information intent to study harder to understand the law. This investigation with more than usual intent became a strong lesson for me to learn early in my career.
Word count: 489
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 45:
You Just Don't Want To Know
Criminal investigation work at times is thankless. When a crime is committed, serious or minor, investigative skills need to be sharp with the investigator alert to solve the crime. Being an investigator for nine years particularly when others wanted to know what happen. You just don’t want to know became the constant reply.
From many investigators with Queensland Police I was luckier than most. My wife became my sounding board after long days investigating some of the most gruesome crimes. She sat patiently listening to my babbling on about how I solved the crime. Never saying a word, just listening. At the time, I never realised how important her silence meant. I didn’t need to be told about how the crime was solved, only, someone who loved me to listen. Many years later she told me to write a book of these events I shared with her.
This morning on television, an aged man, in his eighties, being manhandled from his vehicle by a couple of sixteen-year youths who escaped from a juvenile detention centre in Melbourne. This man appeared helpless. Throwing his keys away didn’t deter these youths who found the keys and stole this aged man’s vehicle. Disgusting. What will happen to these youths when they’re eventually captured? You just don’t want to know.
Thinking about this occurrence brings back a memory of a youth, twelve years old breaking into an elderly woman’s home in search of money. This elderly lady arrived home to find this twelve-year old intruder in her home, came face to face, with him. She held her handbag tight. This youth grabbed the straps of her handbag trying to force the purse loose. To no avail. She held her handbag tighter.
This youth pushed this elderly lady to the floor, forcing her to release her hold breaking the straps of the handbag from the elderly lady’s forearm. The youth quickly left the home taking the elderly lady’s handbag with him.
Shortly after this reported incident I captured this youth still in possession of the lady’s handbag. He admitted everything about breaking into the house together with assaulting and robbing this elderly lady of her handbag.
Being a juvenile, twelve years old, before I officially interviewed him a parent or guardian needed to be present. His father arrived, looked at his son, screamed the words, ‘you tell the police everything. You understand.’ Naturally, the youth admitted his crime, returned to the house to show me what he did. The elderly lady admitted to hospital with shock and injuries.
At the impending court hearing the defence barrister submitted a nolle prosecute, which meant I needed to give evidence before the court proceeded to show the youth didn’t receive a treat, inducement, or promise to admit his guilt.
You just don’t want to know what happened. The Trial Judge discharged the youth because of the treat his father gave him when he entered the office, ‘you tell the police everything. You understand.’ The elderly lady never recovered from her injuries or shock and passed away fifteen months later. Some events in life you just don’t want to know.
Word count: 530
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THIS IS THE FINAL STORY. I WANT THE MEMBERS TO CHOOSE THE NEXT BOOK TO POST. CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Pat-Ritter/e/B008MQASQA TO CHOOSE THE BOOK YOU WANT TO READ DAILY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter