• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 85:

'We thank you for understanding.' Sir Henry admitted. 'Now this is all cleared up. Shall we join our wonderful wives.' Sir Henry finished.
They joined their wives in the Refreshment area.
'What happened?' Asked Martha soon after Nat sat beside her.
'We'll talk about this later.' His expression not pleasing for Martha to understand her proposal wasn't accepted.
Quiet whispers of conversation between husbands and wives rushed around the table.
'I'm sorry Martha. They are not going to include Indigenous peoples in the 'Constitution'. Sir Henry, no more hanky panky below the waistline for you.' Joan looked at her husband. Smiled at Martha. Sir Henry looked at his wife in a way if looks were daggers Joan would've been dead on the spot.
'Also same goes for you Sir Samuel. No sex until you change your mind.' Julia's voice rose loud enough, everyone at the table understood her words.
'I'm sorry ladies. I tried to change the minds of these gentlemen. After listening to their argument I say I must agree with them in not including Indigenous peoples in the 'Constitution' at this time. Once Parliament has been established in Australia, this policy can be reviewed.' Nat spoke as if he was a politician.
Martha looked at the dissapointment on her friends faces. 'Don't worry ladies. More than one way to skin a cat. Don't blame your husbands for this debacle. Treat them as you would normal. With Nat, I listen to all his argument, never agreeing with him. I do love my husband with all of my heart as I'm certain all of you do with your husbands.'
Nat leaned across kissed his wife on the lips.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 86:

Chapter 12

After returning to Fort Edward Lieutenant Morant ordered to appeared before Captain Gibson.
'How was your patrol?' Joe asked Lieutenant Morant who stood to attention before Captain Gibson.
'Excellent Captain. Fought Boers, killed, buried them.' He explained to his Captain.
'Because of your success I'm giving you and Lieutenant Handcock two weeks leave.' Joe explained.
Lieutenant Morant's posture changed. Stood taller. 'Thank you Captain.' Saluted, left the office, a smile spread across his face.
After Lieutenant Morant and Handcock's departure on leave Joe received a letter signed by fifteen members of the 'Bushveldt Carbineers' addressed to Captain Gibson. Joe read the contents of the letter a number of times disbelieving at first such allegations of impropriety by Lieutenant Morant and Lieutenant Handcock. In the letter allegations:
Shooting of six surrendered Afrikaner men; theft of money, livestock.
Shooting of two soldiers by Lieutenant Handcock.
Revenge killing of Visser.
Shooting and killing of four surrendered Afrikaners.
Shooting and death of two boys aged 5 and 13 years.
Shooting of a father and two sons who wanted to surrender.
Joe summoned Lieutenant Campbell to his office. On his arrival Joe closed the door asked Billy to sit. He read the letter containing the allegations.
'Bloody hell Joe. What're you going to do about this one. The proverbial has hit the fan.' Billy appeared in shock.
'I've written a letter to the Commander at Pietersburg. I want you to take your men and deliver this letter to the Commanding Officer yourself.' Joe explained handing Billy the correspondence. 'You're not to mention this to anyone. Understood.' Joe finished. Shook his friend's hand. 'Safe journey.'
Billy saluted his Captain, left the office. Rousing members of 'Colonial Mounted Rifles' they saddled their mounts for their journey to Pietersburg.
Joe's conscious clear. His suspicions on-track with Lieutenant Morant and Handcock. Billy returned to Fort Edward handing Joe direct orders from his Commanding Officer at Pietersburg. Joe read the orders. Lieutenant Morant and Handcock arrested at Pretoria whilst on leave. All members of 'Bushveldt Carbineers' to leave Fort Edward to Pietersburg. This investigation be carried out by Captain Joseph Gibson.
Billy wasn't wrong when he told him the proverbial hit the fan. This investigation into these allegations took over from fighting the Boers. Billy with his 'Colonial Mounted Rifles' remained at Fort Edward. Joe commanded remaining members of 'Bushveldt Carbineers' to accompany him to Pietersburg.
Arriving at Pietersburg Joe presented himself to his Commander. After saluting his Commander, he sat opposite. 'You will take charge of this investigation Captain Gibson.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/758644.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 87:

These men are under your command. Don't leave any stone unturned. I've advised Lord Kitchener of your duties.' Joe stood, saluted, left the office. His mind filled with anxiety to fulfil his duties. First to speak with Lieutenant Morant about these allegations. Joe went to Lieutenant Morant's cell, ordered the jailer to open the door. Joe entered. Lieutenant Morant jumped to his feet, saluted, remained standing. Joe returned the salute beckoned him to sit on the stretcher. Joe sat opposite on a chair.
'Lieutenant Morant. By now you must be wondering why you have been placed under arrest and imprisoned.' Joe remarked.
'The thought has crossed my mind once or twice Captain.' Lieutenant Morant replied.
'After you and Lieutenant Hancock left on leave; a letter signed by fifteen of your soldiers from 'Bushveldt Carbineers' handed to me for my information.' Joe continued. 'This may take a long time.' Joe expressed.
'I'm not going anywhere. What were their allegations Captain?' Lieutenant Morant looked into Joe's eyes waiting for the answer.
Joe took the letter from inside his uniform pocket. 'Six allegations.' Joe stated.
'Can you tell me these allegations?' Lieutenant Morant asked.
Joe read aloud the six allegations. Lieutenant Morant sat upright. Joe sensed the wheels twirling within his mind. If Joe became a mind reader he'd be able to read Lieutenant Morant's mind. 'These are serious allegations Lieutenant Morant.' Joe explained refolding the letter to replace in his pocket.
'Have you ever been to prison Captain?' Lieutenant Morant asked in his Aussie/English accent.
'Matter of fact I have Lieutenant Morant.' Joe replied. Wondered why being in prison had anything to do with this investigation, Joe pondered.
'May we become more informal Captain. I prefer you call me 'Breaker'. Why did you go to prison? May I ask?' Lieutenant Morant queried not believing his Captain's answer.
Joe thought about Lieutenant Morant's request to call him by his first name instead of rank each time they spoke. 'Okay Breaker. If you call me Joe. A long story.' Joe replied.
'I've got plenty of time Joe.' Breaker beckoned for an answer.
'Do you remember 'Great Shearers Strike of 1891'? Joe asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 88:

'Yes. Matter of fact. I do. I travelled Australian outback after the strike. News everywhere how the strikers imprisoned for striking. After working on different stations Aussies gave me the nickname of 'Breaker'.'
'I became one of those who went to prison.' Joe admitted.
Breaker folded one leg over the other, looked into Joe's eyes. 'Where were you imprisoned?' He asked astonished by the answer.
'St Helena Island.' Joe told him. Silence spread between both men. Joe wanted Breaker to continue this conversation. This way Joe would pick up on any untruths Breaker told him. His time at St Helena Island gave him the skills when a person told the truth or lies.
'How long did you serve?' Breaker asked.
'Three years.' Joe admitted. Calmness overcoming his mind and body.
'You must realise these are false allegations. Being imprisoned in this dungeon. You'd understand Joe.' Breaker admitted, as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
'I took a friend's place so he wouldn't go to prison.' Joe admitted.
'You wouldn't have a smoke by any chance.' Breaker asked.
'Sorry Breaker. I don't smoke. I'll call the jailer if you're desperate enough.'
Breaker shook his head. 'No. Don't need one. What'd you do to land yourself in prison. You don't appear to be a person who breaks the law.' Breaker asked.
'Like I mentioned I took the place of a friend who led the strikers. Looking back on what I did then, thinking about the circumstances. I would do a similar thing again under similar circumstances.' Joe admitted.
'I took you as a gentleman Joe. Not someone who'd stick their neck out for their mate.' Breaker admitted.
Joe realised a rapport being built between Breaker and himself. He wanted Breaker to tell him the truth. 'When I look back now almost a decade ago I did this act to help a mate. You'd be surprised how things worked out for me in the end.' Joe's mind filled with thoughts of Hannah. If he didn't swap places with Joe Ryan the morning the police were to raid his camp, he'd never had met Hannah nor fallen in love, married her.
'Joe, you wondered off my friend.' Breaker interrupted his train of thought.
'Yes. Strange how everything turned out in the years after my release.' Joe pondered. 'Let's look at these allegations. One at a time.' Joe removed the letter from his uniform to read the allegations again.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 89:

Breaker intervened. 'I have no idea why my men have claimed these allegations. They are all false. Ask Lieutenant Handcock. He'll vouch for me.' Breaker replied.
Joe realised untruths delivered by Breaker Morant. His demeanour of cockiness, self-confidence plus stupidity in not telling Joe the truth.
'Anything else you want to ask me?' Joe asked his final question. Breaker shook his head. Lay down on his stretcher, locked his hands behind his neck stared at the ceiling. 'Okay, Lieutenant Morant. I'll leave you rest. If anything you want to tell me call the jailer.' Joe called the jailer, left the cell.
Joe walked next door to the cell of Lieutenant Handcock who'd been arrested at the same time of Morant. After the jailer opened the cell door Joe entered. Lieutenant Handcock lay on his stretcher looked at Joe said, 'Walls have ears. Like him. I've got nothing to say. I bid you farewell.' He rolled on his side to face the wall.
Joe summoned the jailer, left the cell to return to his quarters. His report brief recommending a full inquiry by Imperial officers in order the truth be elicited for justice to be done.

Billy was right about the proverbial hitting the fan, thought Joe when orders came through Lieutenants Morant and Handcock to face court-martial. 'Bushveldt Carbineers' were disbanded replaced by 'Pietersburg Light Horse'. Major James Francis Thomas, defended both Morant and Handcock. In civilian life his work a solicitor at Tenterfield in New South Wales.
First hearing involved the shooting of Visser plus the 'Eight Boers' case. Each of the disbanded 'Bushveldt Carbineers' gave their own story of events regarding these allegations. Throughout this hearing Lieutenant Morant and Lieutenant Handcock sat in the dock listened to evidence provided by their own men. Their defence council sat on the left of the prosecutor. Joe sat through each day of the hearing with this Court-martial listening to the wad of evidence provided by members of the 'Bushveldt Carbineers'. One in particular shouting from the witness box. 'Morant gave orders to take the eight prisoners off the road and shoot them. Handcock killed two with his revolver.' Through the days and months of evidence both Morant and Handcock found guilty on all charges. Lord Kitchener signed Morant and Handcock's death warrant.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 am

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 90:

News of an execution of Morant and Handcock swept like wildfire. Major Thomas wouldn't believe the verdict execution by firing squad. He sought to met with Lord Kitchener to no avail. Not the slightest hope of a reprieve. Word spread Morant and Handcock must pay for what they did.
Night before both to meet their maker Joe decided to visit them. They asked to be in the one cell which was accepted. Joe entered the cell. They stood to attention when Joe entered their cell. 'At ease gentlemen. I can't imagine what you're both thinking.' Joe asked in a concerned voice. His intention to seek solance before they met their maker.
'Would each of you join me for dinner?' Joe asked. Both nodded. Joe alerted the jailer to prepare a meal for all three to be bought to the cell where Morant and Handcock were.
'Don't worry about us Captain. You had your job to do. We weren't much help I'm afraid.' Morant stated.
'Anything you want me to do. Write a letter to your loved ones, anything.' Joe answered.
'Joe, if you don't mind. Would you write a letter to my wife Daisy May O'Dwyer. She'd be pleased I'm no longer her husband.' Breaker handed Joe a piece of paper with particulars he'd written of the address. Joe took the piece of paper placed the paper inside his uniform.
'I will Breaker. What about you Lieutenant Handcock. Anything?' Joe asked.
'Na. No one would be worried about me.' Lieutenant Handcock answered.
Jailer bought their meals. Between the time each ate their meals they conversed with one another on a different level. Kind words shared among the three. Almost surreal thought Joe who wished he could've done more to stop them going to their deaths. After their meals Joe wished them all the best, left the cells. He promised to be at their execution the following morning.
At six o'clock the following morning Morant and Handcock were led from their cells to be executed by a firing squad from the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. Both refused to be blindfolded; Morant gave his cigarette case to the squad leader. Standing upright next to his friend Handcock, Morant shouted these words, 'Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess!. Both Morant and Handcock fell dead as bullets struck their bodies. Joe bowed his head prayed their souls would go to heaven which he doubted.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 91:
Joe returned to Fort Edward after the execution. His
immediate plans to speak with his friend Billy. 'Billy we're finished. We're going home.' Both men wrapped their arms around one another; instant relief of leaving this God Forsaken Country to return to their homeland. A new dispatch of volunteers arrived to take their place.
Their journey home placed both Joe and Billy into a relaxed mood.
'What're you going to do when we return home?' Joe asked his friend sitting outside on the deck of the ship.
'Go back to boring holes for your father-in-law. Why! Did you have something in mind.' Billy asked. They'd been to hell and back during their service which bonded them together stronger than friends would ever become.
'Ah, nothing. Thinking how long before we return to normal life again.' Joe muttered.
'We've been through so much since we landed in South Africa. You a Captain, myself a Lieutenant. Who would've thought this would happen to us Joe.' Billy answered deep in thought.
'Billy we stuck together. Thank you my friend. I will never forget how you had my back all the time we were fighting the Boers.' Joe put his hand out to shake Billy's hand. They'd be friends for the remainder of their lives.
Birthing at Brisbane. Lines of people stood along the river bank cheering. Their ship moored at the port, they walked down the gang plank carrying their haversacks. Joe's name sounded. He looked into the sea of faces. Hannah waving both arms. 'Sorry mate, I need to hurry down to my wife.' Joe pushed his way to the bottom with Hannah racing toward him throwing her arms around his neck, kissed him on the lips. Joe couldn't speak.
'Hello Hannah.' Billy called when he arrived beside Joe.
Hannah broke away from Joe, wrapped her arms around Billy in welcome. 'Thank you for bringing my husband home Billy.' Hannah kissed his cheek.
The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, walked up to Joe pushed out his hand to shake hands with Joe and Billy. 'Welcome home heroes. Stories about your heroics. Unbelievable. Congratulations Joe and Billy.' Joseph said. 'We have a surprise for you both this evening.'
Joe cuddled Hannah. 'I never want to let you go ever again.' Joe almost cried with glee to be holding his beloved Hannah again. 'Where are your parents?' Asked Joe.
'They arrived home yesterday. You'll meet them when we go to Nan's.' Hannah replied continued to hug her husband. She was never letting him go anywhere again.
'My carriage will drop you off. Prepare yourself for a gala celebration tonight at my home. Dress in full uniform.' The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, replied.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter