An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:44 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 45:

Come Back To Me.
Letter or Monologue:

Cyril we spoke on the telephone the other night, somehow we were disconnected. You mentioned Jean is unwell and you, yourself haven’t been in the best of health. I’m sorry to hear this sad news.
Remember the time we met. It was back in 1972, in May of that year. I bought my new wife to live in Stanthorpe. You worked at the Ambulance Station and me across the road at the Police Station.
We’d been called to a farm where a young fellow hung himself. He’d been in Australia only a short time and missed his homeland. I held him whilst you severed the cord from around his neck. We lay him on a stretcher and transported him to the morgue.
We’ve been friends since that day, thirty-nine years. We’ve certainly crossed a few dry gullies together since then. Life has its ups and downs and as you would be aware of the many you, yourself have suffered and presently still continue to suffer. I still find it hard to believe you need to inject insulin four times per day to arrest your diabetes. It must be tough.
And poor Jean, you told me before we were disconnected she’d suffered three heart attacks and is unable to speak. This is terrible news. She is your soul mate, Cyril.
My life has gone on since I lost the one and only woman I ever loved. It’s been eight years since she passed on after losing her fight with cancer.
Actually, I thought at the time I’d never recover from losing her, but now have met another person very similar in personality. I’m in love again Cyril and never thought it was possible to love two people in one’s lifetime. They each are so similar in personality and habits. You’d swear I’d been with the one person for thirty-one years, yes Cyril we were married thirty-one years when I lost her, and then after a couple of years find another person so similar to continue my life. It frightens me at times.
I have a wonderful life.
Come back to me Cyril when you can and we’ll finish the conversation we were having on the telephone. If things get too tough think of the many times we sat around the kitchen table at Stanthorpe playing canasta when the temperature outside was below zero. We hungrily ate the pikelets you cooked so well.
Until then my friend remember I will always be there for you and Jean.
Word count: 425
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1855 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 1:

A Dog’s Life

Two small porcelain dogs, sat on top of the mantle piece faced one another with their noses pointed in the air.
‘Do you know the story behind those dogs, grandpa,’ asked the child.
‘I do – would you like to hear their tale?’
‘Yes, please, yes,’ the child said flashed a smile to make his grandfather’s heart swell with pride.
‘I can only tell you what I’ve been told. Grandma’s uncle, great uncle Eddie, told me after your great grandmother’s funeral, the two dogs passed down to your grandma, because she is the eldest in the family.’
‘Why was that?’ The child queried.
‘Great uncle Eddie told me the dogs originally belonged to your great grandmother’s - great grandmother who lived in England in the early 1800’s. How she obtained the two dogs is a mystery.’
‘Go on grandpa, I’m interested.’ The small boy said.
‘From what I can make from great uncle Eddie, these two dogs were packed in a packing case for their voyage from Mother England to Australia. On the way, the ship sank when going through rough weather.’
‘Was great grandma’s – great grandmother on the ship with the dogs?’
‘Yes, she and the other passengers were rescued but the two dogs were lost at sea and went down with the cargo on the ship.’
‘How did they find them?’
‘After a hundred years they were found in the hull of the ship and sent to Australia. Uncle Eddie says they’re cursed. I don’t know. Your grandma had them handed to her after her mother died and now they’re here because we have been given them to take care of.’
‘What do you think will happen with them?’
‘I suppose after I join your grandma, they will be handed down to your mother, and then onto you. I hope you take good care of them because they have been in the family a very long time.’
‘I will grandpa, hope I don’t have to look after them for many years to come. You look after them as long as you can, please.’
‘I will, I promise you.’
Word count: 355
TO READ THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270499

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 2:

The Gold Coin

In his day he didn’t have gold coins. The only gold he knew was dug from the ground or panned from a river. In his hand he held a two dollar coin and pondered.
His memory returned to his younger days as a boy growing up in the bush. Pounds, shillings and pence were the currency of the day. For a penny he’d buy twenty hard boiled lollies. When eaten, not all at once, had a tendency to break a tooth, these lollies lasted a month?
Work was scarce. When he could find work he was paid ten shillings a week. From ten shillings he gave his mother five shillings for board and lodgings. He kept the remainder. Life was simple – go to work, when he could found it and always paid his mother half of his earnings.
Over time many things changed in his life; he grew into a man and earned five pound a week. He thought by earning this amount per week he was a millionaire. His job hard; tough working repairing railway lines, hot days with cold nights camping under the stars.
One day he met the love of his life and married. Within a couple of years his family grew to five. His wage never rose beyond five pound per week. This amount gave him sufficient to support his wife and family. Instead of giving his wife half of his wage, he gave her the total amount and kept a small sum for his own needs.
On the 14th February 1966 everything changed. Instead of receiving five pounds per week, his wages suddenly increased to ten dollars. He actually thought he was a millionaire because he received twice as much after decimal currency began.
Unfortunately his thoughts of becoming a millionaire soon diminished because with the change in decimal currency, items he purchased doubled instead of staying the same value. A ten shilling note was now a dollar note. He knew the value of ten shillings however with a dollar the value dropped instead of rising.
Over the future years he witnessed changes with the one dollar note and two dollar note becoming gold coins. One dollar coin was larger than the two dollar coin.
His thoughts returned to the present. In his hand he held a gold coin and wondered what would be next.
Word count: 396
TO READ THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270499

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you dub for your thanks: here is the story for today: 'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 3:

The Proposition

Bundy Quicksilver visited his local post office. Lynette, the post mistress said, ‘Bundy, you have a parcel to collect, please sign here.’ She placed a sheet of paper before him and pointed to a spot next to his name. He signed for the parcel, she handed it to him.
‘It’s from the Commissioner of Police.’ He told her, ‘I wonder what it’s about. I haven’t been in the police for over twenty years.’
‘Well, open it and see what’s in it.’ The post mistress said staring at the parcel. It’s unusual to have a parcel from The Commissioner. This would make top gossip in this small town and she was the one to spread it.
Bundy tore the paper wrapped around the parcel to reveal a blue coloured case with the words POLICE SERVICE MEDAL embroidered in gold lettering. He opened the case to see two silver medals.
‘Can I have a look?’ Lynette asked.
‘You can present them to me if you like?’ He asked Lynette and handed her the case.
She took the medals from the case, ‘do I stand to attention and salute or just pin them on your shirt?’ She asked.
‘Pin them on and don’t worry about the salute, but thank you for doing me the honour to present them to me.’ A tear of gratitude welled in Bundy’s eyes. Pride took over and he felt humble and privileged to have been presented with these medals. He’d served twenty years and now received two medals for the service he performed.

When he arrived home he wrote a letter of appreciation to The Commissioner to thank him for his kind gesture. Words were difficult to find – the right words of appreciation. These words spoke from his heart. He’d thought he’d been forgotten.

One morning, a fortnight after sending the letter to The Commissioner, he received a telephone call.
‘Is that you Bundy – it’s The Commissioner of Police.’ The voice echoed over the telephone.
‘Yes – it’s me, thank you for sending me those medals. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate receiving them.’ Bundy replied.
‘How would you like to visit me sometime, I have a proposition to present to you.’ The Commissioner asked.
‘It’ll be my pleasure. Can I ask what it is?’ Bundy replied.
‘Yes – I want to give you an assignment only you can do. Are you interested?’
‘Yes Sir – to get back on the horse would be a delight.’ Bundy replied.
Word count: 415: Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/246166
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 4:

I’m a Believer

I well remember the band ‘The Monkeys’ recorded the song, ‘I’m a believer’. It was a great song and uplifting.
Actually the song uplifted me to great heights. Anything I did in life, I honestly didn’t have enough self belief to carry out my first desire, until writing came along.
Don’t take me wrong, I did accomplish many things; however I wanted to climb my own personal mountain of achievement. To do this I needed to be a believer in my own ability.
To be a believer, the dream I had, needed to become the major focus to achieve. In the beginning a desire to achieve was uppermost in my mind; however the road to success was long and difficult to travel.
Along this journey I fell and stopped a few times until I made up my mind to tell my inner self – I am a writer. This was one of the toughest journeys I’d ever undertaken. Believing I was a writer.
Who would read my writing soon enveloped the many negatives to stop my climb to the top of my own personal mountain of success. Why would they want to read the words I wrote, became another negative stepping stone to slow my climb?
Persistence and consistency became my only attribute to achieve what I wanted. I wanted to be a writer. How much of a writer depended on the number of books readers purchased and read. I wanted them to enjoy reading the stories I wrote and published. Was this too much to ask?
The words, ‘I’m a believer’ echoed over and over in my mind. Without this self belief I doubt if I would’ve written or published a single book or story. These words drove me forward accepting the consequences of defeat or success.
What had I to lose? Nothing – do what I always wanted to do and do it with honesty and sincerity. Defeat wasn’t an option. What’s the worse could happen?
Finally only two years ago I reached the top of my personal mountain after a climb lasting almost twenty-four years. At times it’s been tough fighting my own self belief; however now I have reached the top of my writing desires only thrusts me onto climbing more personal mountains because I’m a believer.
Word count: 385
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 5:

Esmeralda

There she stood in the lust field of clover munching on the green grass. Her teats squeezed dry. Her mind to be a milking cow and nothing else, life had changed.
Prior to her being a milking cow she was a princess; her mother, the proud Queen of cows - her father the King Bull. What changed in her short life? Alas at birth she was taken from her mother and replaced by an awkward shaped bull calf. Large head, falling away to a huge hump, similar to a camel; most of the other calves laughed at this new addition to the royal family.
Esmeralda was fostered to another herd on another farm. She missed her royal family and hoped to one day return. Until then, she lived the life as a pauper on another farm.
Life went on and in the following year Esmeralda grew into a glorious heifer. She was constantly visited by young bulls in the hope she may fall in love and breed heifer calves to increase the worth of the herd for the farmer.
Her memory instilled in her mind of her royal parents, proud and loyal to their owner. Many times she heard from the older cows about her replacement calf to understand he was a strange shape and nothing like her.
Esmeralda wanted to return to her parents to see for herself this new calf, which was now a Mickey Bull discarded by the other Mickey Bulls in the herd.
One night she made her escape to return to her parent’s herd. Sneaking into her old farm late one night she was accosted by a bull she’d never seen or imagined to be a bull. They eyed one another, ‘Are you my replacement?’ Esmeralda asked in a kind mo.
‘Are you Esmeralda?’ The Bull mooed in return.
‘Yes – you must be my brother?’ She mooed. His nod of the ill-shaped head instantly bought tears to Esmeralda. She’d always wanted a brother. They mooed all night to catch up with what’d happened since she was taken at birth. Her parents were still King and Queen.
When news spread of her return both parents were delighted to see her all grown into a glorious princess. Her coat glowed, her sharp horns glistened in the sun and a smile creased across her mouth. She wanted to stay with her brother.
After the milking of cows was finished the farmer saw the latest addition to the family and instantly noticed it was the calf he had given to his neighbour. Whether it was human-animal attraction, the farmer saw the family as one including the ill-shaped Mickey Bull. They were happy and he decided to keep them together.
And this is why Esmeralda to this day is a content cow delivering the highest class quantity of milk for her owner. She’s happy to be a sister to the ugliest Bull in the herd.
Word count: 489
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:35 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 6:

I’ll Never Try That Again

On the 21st of January 2012, my vehicle was involved in a road accident. This was the first road accident I’d personally experienced in forty-five years of driving.
It was an unfortunate incident because the driver of the other vehicle was well known to me. At the time I was more concerned no one was physically hurt. Vehicles can be repaired; however bodies take many years to recover.
Because my vehicle was insured, fully comprehensive, I never worried about the tow truck or the fees and costs because I knew my insurance company would pay all costs. Or so I thought at the time. It was a different story after the loss assessor examined my vehicle and decided it was beyond repair and to write-it-off.
Initially the lost assessor mentioned a pay-out figure of $4,500.00 would be paid by the insurance company for total loss of my vehicle. Lucky for him he was on the opposite end of the telephone as my words of astonishment filtered through the line.
Daily I telephoned the insurance company to determine who I may contact to talk to and explain my dilemma. Within two days I was cast to the winds of Australia speaking to faceless people on the end of the line. I spoke to a person in Adelaide trying to explain my unhappiness.
Eventually I spoke to a person who offered $6,100.00 settlement. Again my blood pressure rose above what it should have been. Not one person belonging to the company ever contacted me to keep me up-to-date with the progress of my claim.
After many hours of negotiating I settled on an agreed price of $7,300.00. Many hours of investigation to determine a fair figure to replace my vehicle I determined was $7,600.00. When I contacted the insurance company to clarify the amount we agreed on, they told me the amount would be transferred electronically to my bank account. They also told me because I pay the insurance monthly I had to pay for the remaining twelve months before the transaction would be transferred. Also to my astonishment no refund would be made available of the subsequent nine months payment of the policy.
To say I was flabbergasted was an understatement. From the beginning at the time of the road accident in which I was the victim, instead of feeling secure because the vehicle had comprehensive insurance, I’ve been screwed by the insurance company, in more ways than one.
I believe in honesty and fairness, however, after my personal experience with this particular insurance company, I’ll never try that again.
Word count: 437
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter