• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:53 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Yes, my parents. I almost forgot to mention. I wrote them a letter introducing you to advise them we were engaged.' Joe admitted.
'Why didn't you tell me? I would've written a letter to put with your letter.'
'You can still write them a letter. I need to write another to advise them of the date of the wedding.'
Soon after they finished their afternoon tea, excitement filled their minds, they walked to speak with Brother Paul at the church. Brother Paul greeted them with a smile and when they asked him about the date of their wedding his words, 'that's the birth of Jesus. Can't your wedding be another day?' He asked sincerely.
'Brother Paul, if 25th December 1896 is available for our wedding in your church. We would be grateful.' Joe stated matter-of-fact.
'Yes, yes, it's so unusual for a wedding on that day. I'll make the arrangements. Before you are married I need to explain to both of you about what marriage is and its meaning.' He continued.
'When ever you want to speak with us about our vows, you let us know and we'll arrange a time when Joe is in town.' Hannah explained.
'Thank you both and congratulations. I wish you the best.' He shook their hands and allowed them to leave.
They couldn't wipe the smiles from their faces.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1858 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Chapter 16

When Joe returned to Kahmoo Station his smile told a story, 'what are you so happy about?' Nat asked when Joe pulled his horse to a halt at the front homestead gate.
'I'm the happiest man in the world.' He told Nat and swung down from his horse and tied it to the fence. 'Hannah and I finally set a date for the wedding, 25th December this year.' He replied excitedly.
'That's Christmas Day!' Nat exclaimed. 'You can't get married on Christmas Day. What will the Lord think?' He scolded Joe.
'I couldn't think of a better day to marry the girl of my dreams. Is Martha and Ma inside? I want to share the news.' Joe rushed past Nat jumped the steps, landed on the verandah and entered the house. Ma was the first person he sighted. He rushed over and wrapped his arms around her waist, almost lifting her off the floor and said, 'Hannah and I are being married on Christmas Day.' He smiled and released his hold.
'What!' Martha exclaimed taking her apron off and strutted toward Joe. 'Are you mad. Marry on the day Jesus was born.' Her voice vibrated around the room.
'I told him the same,' Nat echoed from behind.
'You spoke to the minister?' Martha asked bewildered.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/497192.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:30 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Yes, we've spoken with Brother Paul and he's agreed to marry us on Christmas Day at Cunnamulla. I can't wait, only seven months away.' Joe stated.
'Well, if Brother Paul agreed, than who are we to say the date is not right. At least you'll never forget your anniversary.' Martha concluded. I'll put the kettle on. I need to sit down.' Martha went to place the kettle on top of the stove.
'I'll join you.' Nat and Ma said in unison.
After the excitement of the news settled down all four discussed plans for the wedding, 'Got plenty to do. Make Hannah's dress. How many guests. You decided where the reception is to be held?' Martha smiled.
'We haven't decided anything, only a date.' Joe informed his future mother-in-law. 'What if I ask Alex at the pub to be my best man. He saved Hannah, Ma and poor Mr Wilson from the fire. I could ask him.'
'Good choice.' Ma concluded.
Next visit to Cunnamulla Alex agreed to be Joe's best man. 'You'll need the reception at the hotel. Won't you? Be my pleasure to pay for everything.' Alex shook Joe's hand, his thoughts over the moon to be chosen to be Joe's best man.
'Alex, thanks but I think Nat wants to pay for everything and my parents will pay for liquid refreshments.' Joe explained.
'Then I'll provide the venue. The best wedding Cunnamulla will ever have seen. I'll make it the best.' His excitement overflowed to Joe who couldn't believe how the wheels of fortune had spun his way after everything he'd experienced. There must be a God, he thought.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

Hannah's dress looked divine when her mother presented the frock to her on one of the many visits to town. Everything was falling into place. Hannah decided to ask Miss Wallace to be her bridesmaid, 'Oh, Hannah, I'd be delighted to be your bridesmaid.' She cried when asked by Hannah and couldn't believe anyone would ever ask her to take on such an honoured role.
After the shearing finished the second wagon load of machinery arrived to be installed at Moonjaree Station. Joe only needed his two workers to help for he had a good idea of how to install the machinery into the shearing shed after Herbert showed him at Kahmoo Station shearing shed. Like the first one, three bays needed to be added to make a ten stand shed.
The three men worked from daylight until dark and within three months finished fitting the shearing machinery. Joe tested the machinery and everything found correct to his standards. He returned to Kahmoo Station when the first task he performed to replace the sign on the front entrance. Nat didn't want the sign changed because his father made the sign over forty years before.

Hannah finished work to return home. She'd settled with a cup-of-tea at the kitchen table when a knock at the front door startled her, 'coming', she called and walked to open the door, there stood a person who she thought she'd never see again.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'Hello Hannah,' his voice cut through her like a hot knife through butter.
'What do you want?' She sneered.
'I was passing through and wanted to tell you and Ma how sorry I was. What happened to Ma Guest House?' He queried.
'Burnt down. I don't want you here.' Hannah went to slam the door when a foot stopped the door from closing.
'Hannah, I don't mean any harm. I only wanted to tell you how sorry I was for what I did to you and Ma.' He said in an mellow and sincere voice.
'I don't want your excuses. What you did is unforgettable.' Hannah's rage increased. She tried to close the door but his foot blocked the door from closing. 'Go away!' Her voice trembled. 'I'll speak to you through the door?' Move your foot.' She screamed. As soon as his foot moved Hannah slammed the door and turned the lock. She rushed through the house locked the back door and all the windows then sat at the kitchen table hoping this person would leave.
'Hannah, I need to talk to you. If I've got to speak through this door then I will.' He shouted hoping she would hear his words.
'I don't want you here!' She screamed covering her hands with her face and began to sob. Tears filled her eyes. She knew the voice. She knew the person. How could she ever forget it although it'd been more than four years since she last saw him. 'What do you want?' She called.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm

'Click Go The Shears":

'I wanted to tell you how sorry I was to do what I did to you and Ma. Where is Ma?' He replied.
'She's living with my parents.' That was a mistake, she thought, I should've told him she was down town and would be back shortly.
'What's she doing living at your parents?' He replied in a sweet and encouraging voice.
'She went to live with them after the fire.' He doesn't sound angry, his voice calm and polite. Am I wrong to think what he wants, she pondered. 'What are you doing here?' Hannah asked more calmer than before.
'Like I told you, I'm passing through. I'm a member of parliament on my way to Sydney to attend a conference. I've changed Hannah. I want to tell you in person rather than through this door. I'm sorry.' He pleaded.
Hannah rose from the chair and walked to the front door, unlocked it, turned the knob and opened the door, 'hello Joe.' She said.
'Hello Hannah. Can I come in please there are so many things I want to tell you.' His pleading voice got the better of Hannah and she decided to allow him inside, worried passer-byers might hear her scream.
Joe entered, 'this is a lovely place. What happened to Ma's Guest House?'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:35 pm

'Click Go The Shears':

'It burnt down and I had this one built in its place. Do you want a cup-of-tea?' She asked much calmer than before.
'I'd love one, thanks.' He didn't want to ask for a scone because that would be taking the offer too far. Joe entered the kitchen and sat at the table. Hannah poured tea from the tea pot into a cup and placed in front of him.
'Black tea, as I remember.' Hannah said.
'You have a good memory. When did Ma's Guest House burn down?'
'Early last year. You remember Alex from the pub. He saved Ma, me and Mr Cummings who was staying here at the time. Burnt to the ground. Mr Cummings got out of bed to go to the toilet and accidentally knocked over the lantern. He died the next day in hospital. You may remember him, he once worked for Pa.'
Joe thought, 'yeah, he was a wool presser, wasn't he?'
'That's him. What did you say you do. You certainly didn't dress like you do now when you were here last.' Hannah asked.
'After the strike I travelled to Barcaldine to find out what I could do about making better working conditions for the workers. The Australian Labour Party was formed and I became their representative. Only one in Australia. Hannah, it's like a dream came true. I can now make a difference.'
He sounded sincere enough. Should I mention Joe and I are being married, 'Joe Gibson and I are being married on Christmas Day.' She blurted out.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter