Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:43 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 59:

Chapter 10

FRI JULY 10: Digging trench to plant hibiscus. Very hot and am sunburnt. Heard U.S. had landed convoy at Solomon Isles. Germans back to Mirza M. Russians back to fixed positions at Don. Few arrivals from Changi for B troop. Talking to men carting scrap to Keppel wharf. Saw numbers of Japs embarking and more disembarking. Plenty of ships in harbour. Bringing rice and taking away scrap metal. Few aircraft practising in air today.

SAT JULY 11: Just another day on hill. Saw convoy in far distance from W. into Singapore. Was told later 3 transports, 1 trans converted to aircraft carrier, 4 planes. Talk after tea on route from Alice Springs to Birdsville.

SUN JULY 12: Some mix up with Japs today. No trucks turned up so had day off. Had good clean up and played bridge. Was thinking how remarkable thin veneer of civilization is in Jap. Our guard wakes men up who are not covered with bedclothes. Afraid they may catch malaria. Yet as a warning to recalcitrant natives they chop the heads off and exhibit them in a public place until flesh falls away from bones.

MON JULY 13: Top of hill again. Nothing interesting happened. Natives are showing remarkable energy in their gardens. It seems they have to grow or starve and they are determined not to starve.

TUES JULY 14: Another day cleaning up rubbish. Spent most of evening unravelling mess of twine. Just wasting time. No news or rumours. Kato had look in at camp 6am this morning. No Chinese at work today accept few essentials.
WED JULY 15: Kato’s house bricklaying and plastering. Must have made good job for had names taken to keep going. Bit of news today. Turkey supposed to have declared war on Germany. Java said to have fallen to us. No Chinese at work today accept essential workers.

THURS JULY 16: Kato’s house again. Most interesting day’s work learning cement. Few rumours. Libya nearly finished 1,000,000 yanks Burmese border. Notice lot of new Japs about place. Fellow, ours, said number landing here.

FRI JULY 17: On road Kato’s house and did fair days work. Feel tired this evening. Lot more Japs moving about generally making for wharf. Gen’s Percival and Callaghan appeared to have visited camps in Singapore. Rumour that all ranks Maj up going to Japan. We have 95 sick and off duty today. Saw very large plane very high circling overhead. Several fighters appeared to be going up.

SAT JULY 18: Did hard days work today on Kato’s wall. Most of others in yard cleaning up. Was pushed very hard and large number of accidents. 2 fell off truck, 1 overcome with heat. Bad day. Trouble with mess again. Officers doing well. G.M. sent resignation in. One of our sgts accused of making money out of buying things. He is M.P. Not sort of man to do it. Have every confidence in him myself. Fined $1 a month, says it will mean court martial eventually.

SUN JULY 19: Turn up for all hands today. Was raining when we went to work. Got there and came home again. Such is Jap administration. Rumour that last overseas contingent has been sunk. Will wait for confirmation. Change in Q.M. personnel so must be some dissatisfaction up there also. Rations very light must be on ¼ meat ration. Our diet is about 95% rice so must be some nutriment in it. I am buying dates at 30c a Kati and occasionally a tin of sardines @ 30c. Dates I have with breakfast and sardines on meatless days.

MON JULY 20: Rumour we are moving. All bustle at works today cleaning up. Some new Gen coming Wednesday. Nothing of importance otherwise.

TUES JULY 21 : Still cleaning up and had job to keep us all going. Lot of men of A.I.F. in K.L. Rumour of loss of 1000 Australians on torpedoed ship confirmed. Very sad if true. Rumour that Sevastopol has already fallen again to Russians. Turkey on our side and marched in Romania. Party including all Field Rank and upwards at Changi are going away. Thought Japan. We are supposed to be going to another camp end of week. Omitted to say we have all been numbered and I have to wear cloth badge with number mine so. Duties of supposed loss of A.I.F. contingent July 1.

WED JULY 22: Had most interesting day. 3 loads of scrap to Keppel Harb from works. Civil buildings hardly touched. Cathay still has hole in side high up. Very little business going on despite efforts of Japs to clean up place and keep things going. Many shops refitted but empty. Saw big yards of scrap and breaking up cars. Wharves full of scrap waiting to be loaded. 5 ships in this morning. This evening some had gone out and convoy had arrived. Saw at least 5 more. 1 was hosp ship. New arrivals unloading rice. Saw ship going out with some Jap troops. Saw one of our planes other side of harbour evidently cont. Saw yard consisting of crashed planes and many were Jap, some were N.1. Farther ration of petrol according to Syonan Times “owing to panicky destruction by us”. Gurkas working on wharf. Saw number of Jap women sightseers. Report from K.L. some of our men imprisoned there. Some had to march 70 miles some in bare feet. Seem to have had tough time. Lot of R.A. and A.I. Early parade after tea followed by a sing song. There is lad comes along road every night playing favourite and popular tunes on mouth organ.

THURS JULY 23: Kato’s rd today. Just a day. Some went to wharf and saw some boat unloading rice. Another with horses and cars went away. Trucks had (diamond symbol) on back. One man injured on scrap iron today. Didn’t feel well this evening.

FRI JULY 24: Another relapse. Suspected it last night. Off work today and taking 30 grams (8) quinine each day. Feel bit better in evening. Just headache and heavy cold.

SAT JULY 25: Still off duty. Not as bad as last dose. Boys tell of huge underground oil storage tanks in what we thought were quarries. I have passed the fence often. They are built into solid granite. One chap contacted an English man who was in charge of works. He is out on parole of course at $20 per mth. Told of 322 women and 52 children out at Changi gaol. 2 births since imprisonment. Men are segregated from women and are allowed to see their wives once per month. Younger married men rig up a plank over 15’ drop to see their wives more often. All sorts out there from jockeys to Drs. Treatment same as ours. What a dreadful experience for those women and children.
TO DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/591980.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:06 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 60:

SUN JULY 26: Still not too good. Day off for boys. 150 men to go back to Changi. Hope I am not among the number. Rather amusing incident last night. Our mouth organ player felt braver and with the aid of guitar gave impromptu concert on other side of rd. Had native beside us. Enjoyed it until 11.30 when noise of clapping must have roused guard commando who came over. Made dive through barb wire, missed jump and fell into muddy drain. Was a clatter of tins then no boongs in sight?

MON JULY 27: Still at home. Feel much better. Told to have my gear ready all day tomorrow to move back to Changi. Rumour 1000 F. Fortresses to Eng. 10 lost. Had to hand our Jap tickets in.

TUES JULY 28: All ready for Changi. Had egg for breakfast. 10C. Had my boots soled with rubber tyre. Found that there had been a wireless set in B and a battery in A. Neither knew. Such is fate. Left 157 available working men not counting essential duties and 150 required each day. Left Saran in early evening. Camped in iron hut in M.T. sect of Changi. Very comfortable. Very few left here and party standing by to go to Japan. Seem to live fairly well here. In camp are Dutch from Sumatra. Airmen and trps from Sumatra. Should have some amusing and interesting tales to tell. Dutch tell that last party including Nurses who left island went to Sumatra straight into hands of Japs. They were machine gunned and bombed and many killed. So Sumatra fell before we did. Airmen said we bagged 187 Jap planes. Our own they did not say.

WED JULY 29: Seen M.O. this morning and must continue to take quinine. Mosquitoes worried me last night so I had bad night. Went to concert by A.I.F. last evening and it was very good. Met and had yarn with Maj Bucknell who is in great spirits. Many Dutch soldiers and air men present. Dutch anthem played before ours. Went to Con Depot and yarned away with Bob Nason.

THURS JULY 30: Saw Doc this morning and he told me I had to have 2 mths Atebrin. Went for salt water in evening and had swim and got coconut. Went to lecture given by Naval Officer on Navy’s part in War. Proved very interesting but one fact came as a great surprise. 50% of Jap ships are sunk and half of what are left are damaged. Very good news indeed.

FRI JULY 31: Nothing of interest. Was a rice gristle in morn? Went to talk in evening by Dutch Gen, point worth noting. He ranks Gen Chan Kai Check with Roosevelt and Churchill.

SAT AUG 1: Went to work in morning. Talk on evaluation of Navy by P.O. in evening. Very interesting.

SUN AUG 2: Went to Communion in early morn and Church after breakfast. Again at 7.30pm. Church built by engineer and a very noble effort considering difficulty in obtaining material. Part of dispatch from Wavell to Percival. reg. ‘def of Singapore. Must be held at all costs and regardless of civilian casualties. There are far too many first class fighting men wandering behind the lines who must be forced if necessary up to front line leaving only essential services behind. We must not let these gangsters overcome us, for gangsters they are, inferior both in quality and quantity.

MON AUG 3: Had quiet day. Went to excellent concert after tea given by violinist, pianist and tenor. All artists. Violinist in London Philharmonic Orchestra. All very good music and a real treat. Wish they would put that sort of music on more often. Kreslins Caprice was best I thought but thoroughly enjoyed every bit.

TUES AUG 4: Gen cleaning up. Concert A.I.F. in evening. Just a day.

WED AUG 5: Went for wood in morning. Princess Irene birthday and Dutch celebrating. Special parade at 5pm. I think the Dutch are the most patriotic crowd I have ever met. The spirit of camaraderie between officers and men is simply wonderful. They are as fine a set of fellows as one wish to meet.

THURS AUG 6: Just ordinary day but in evening fellow from G.W. came out and told us of happenings in there. Seem to be living well. Norm Ferrow seems to have got fair drilling. Caught drinking tin of milk and accused of stealing and selling. Got terrible knocking about face and head with riding crop. Tied him up to fence all night. Also after knocking him about dunked him in tong until he was nearly drowned. Put him in hospital for while. Same would have happened to me with jam episode so I must consider myself very fortunate. Heard very bad news. The list of Prisoners of War still not arrived in Australia. People must be very anxious.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 61:

FRI AUG 7: Nothing of interest during day but most interesting talk by Engineer officer from ship picked up in Indian Ocean. Gave us all the news current before he left and opened up some interesting highlights on the campaign as seen in Australian eyes. Found that we were expected to hold Japs with very little trouble but everything seems to be over-estimated. When the Js were halfway down Malaya then papers seem to realize seriousness of situation and did not even then hold out much hope for Singapore or even Java. What seems to have stirred them up more than anything was the 5 subs in Sydney Harbour which shelled Sydney. The loss of the 2 battleships was regarded as national calamity. All Banking and Shipping rationalized. Judgement in Malayan campaign postponed until after war so evidently Gordon Bennett’s explanations were not accepted. Everything seems most satisfactory under Gen McArthur’s command and things now seem to be in a satisfactory condition. It appears that our next of kin have been informed that we are missing in Malaya and some believed prisoner. It must be all very worrying for our wives and mothers but what a thanksgiving at when we leave.

SAT AUG 8: Nothing of interest in morning. Was paid 80c for money since we have been here, 10c which went towards hospital med supp. Then paid $3.15 for bal of money of Serangor Rd. All paid up to end July. 40c paid into mess fund. Went to talk on Police Work in Shanghai which was of very great interest. Different Jap in 1937 when China invaded than the Jap we are up against now.

SUN AUG 9: Church 8.30 and 10.15. Fellow from G. World Free leagues went back. Sergent came out for him in van. Same left considerable amount of tinned stuff for us. Tasted 2½ p bar choc for 6 mths and would not have sold it for dollars. Jars of marmite will be esp good. Sent most of it over to Hosp. First sign of generosity I have found in the Unit since I have been P.O.W. Most of fellows here would cut each others throats for tin of milk literally. Went to church in evening and heard very good sermon on environment. Certainly here is a very good example of being as near as possible to normal under an environment which is different to anything we have been used to. Still life and liberty is what one makes himself of a place.

MON AUG 10: Nothing of note. Very quiet day.

TUES AUG 11: Business as usual. Japan party still here. Living very well now with proceeds of wages and tins of marmite etc. which was brought from G & World. Feeling far more contented here than in Singapore – believe I am picking up a little condition. Certainly feel much better. Concert in evening which was enjoyed by all.

WED AUG 12: More wood today but I enjoy walking on trailer parties for it is only exercise I get. Dutch man who was bitten by snake, back home. Things not going so well. Solomon’s seen to be good as ours although hard fighting still going on. Successes in Burma and China. Went to interesting talk on Burma given by Eng Col. Would very much like to see place.

THURS AUG 13: Nips very busy in air today. 24 bombers in formation besides reac and fighter planes. Intense A.A. fire towards Singa, very likely practice. Heavy storm in morning first for several weeks.

FRI AUG 14: Did a bit of moving today. Have been a little lonely since I have been back here. With Jerry and Eric and Burnetts gone it is not the same place so I was invited today to join in the hut where most of the bty are. There are 4 of us and I think things will be a little better in future. I have found out to my cost that companionship is more to be desired than anything else on this earth. Japan party had to go to Eng lines this evening to be Med. examined. May be a move before long.

SAT AUG 15: Wood. Lot of talk of unrest among natives on mainland esp. Chinese. Food riots at K.L. and sabotage at German bridge blown up and train derailed. Talk of Japan party going away tomorrow.

Chapter 11

SUN AUG 16: Communion in morning. B party of Japan party going away today. Large party from English crowd. Special party of Officers gone. Church in evening, excellent sermon. Third of series on beatitudes. Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled. Inappropriate at this time of rice.

MON AUG 17: Nothing of importance. Same.

TUES AUG 18: Our talks in evening are getting more and more of an audience. Greater informed and we often yarn from 8pm until 11.

WED AUG 19: Parade today for new officer in charge, Changi. Had to parade three deep each side of rd and he and his regime drove down through then we had to form up on Padang where he addressed us. 15 words was all he spoke in Jap. Interpreted. In effect he would be kind and generous to us as far as regulations would allow. Four hrs in all on parade so we weren’t too pleased when we had to march past Black Jack adding another half mile to our journey. Red Cross food came from S. Africa and very welcome. Took form of 2oz maize meal, 2oz jam, 1oz soup per day. Excellent meals today. Maize meal for breakfast, tin herring between 4 for lunch for which we paid at tea. 10 vitamin A sweets besides Jap issue. We have 2 tins of pines each and tin of jam between 8. Everyone must learn morse and pass out today 4.00pm.

THURS AUG 20: I am only sig in R.A.A. Two others have knowledge of morse. I have to instruct 30 men. Found I had most interested group of men for other two classes refused to take it seriously. Will endeavour to keep same group of men and am confident 50% will learn it. Was issued with 10 sweets containing V.A. and were very tasty. Went to lecture or talk after tea given by capt who was at large 2 mths after capitulation. Very large crowd but could not hear everything. Sounded to have had some interesting experiences. Was helped by Chinese mostly. Was careful to avoid Malay and Tamils. Chinese very good to them helping, feeding, sheltering and guiding them as much as possible. Spoke of K.L. when battle had passed over and must have seen some shocking sights. All Chinese took to the jungle and women wore men’s clothes. Japs would call on Chinese to surrender then when they did under flag M.G. groups of 40-80. Some were made sport of by Jap officers who eventually lopped off head with sword. Was through Chinese they fell in Japs hands but was pointed out that he was individual. Best guides Sakis or wild Malay. Malay were only people to take payment for food.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 62:

FRI AUG 21: Went for salt water in evening and got 3 nuts which we cook and have for morning meal. Another issue of sweets this time containing V.B. Very nice. Heavy rain after evening meal and seems wet season is on again.

SAT AUG 22: Wood. Pay in evening. Talk on Siam after tea. Gave little of inside workings of S.S. before war which proved very enlightening. Quote of man travelling in scents and soaps who knew quite lot of country. Did so well received rec’ from firm in England. Told of road from Rangoon to Siam supposed to be built by him. He did half bridge and forgot rest. 30 years later came as guest to be present at formal opening. Ambassador had to travel by elephant and mule through jungle, was met at river and asked whereabouts of bridge, had to go 3 miles to bridge which was over dry land. River had shifted while they were building it. Spoke of ways of comm. And final before crash of English officer losing papers in Raffles Square. Reward for information. This was warning to all S.S. men to get out of Siam.

SUN AUG 23: Communion. Did guard duty most boring.

MON AUG 24: Finished guard duty thank goodness.

TUES AUG 25: Morse lesson. My class seem to be very keen except for about 3. Nothing else.

WED AUG 26: Nothing in morning or evening. After tea went to first of course of lectures. Civics given by one of hut mates G. Downer. This man is example of muddling in army. Has excellent education is Barrister by profession is most eloquent and well spoken. Has travelled the world over, member of Con Party in England yet could not get any further then Gnr in “Intelligence.” R.A.A. ridiculous.

THURS AUG 27: Had to attend meeting of morse instruction to be told how to conduct morse classes. ‘B.S.’ Have almost 50 men in class which is too many. Saw fellow from Thomson Rd. suffering complaint affecting feet and eyes. In hospital.

FRI AUG 28: Went to talk by R.A.A.F. Airman who was shot down behind lines at Endau. Was most enlightening and encouraging. Went further to show the treachery of Malays. He was flying information of Veldebeeste up to number of transports who were landing troops at Endau. Met by large formation of Navy which were at least 3½ times faster and the inevitable happened. He managed to get away from scene and in water was forced to leave his 2 mates who were dead and swam about 4 miles. Chinese sheltered him from Japs and fed him. Told of trouble he went to hide him in jungle even moving him in swamp when Nips were in house 10yds away. Heard frightful screaming all one day and night. When Chinese Ah Sin brought food was told that some of his relations and friends had been murdered and his wife raped in turn by 4 Japs. Eventually forced out by them who said they had to proceed to Bata Puket Con camp. Under threat of killing wife and children and himself. He had no food and when he left him after directing him on right road burst into tears. Wandered along Endau Rd eating very little until he was met by three Malays. They slyly asked him if he was hungry and got him some nuts then asked him if he was armed. No, so they overpowered him and walked him to Endau thence partly to Merning where he was picked up by truck. Taken to Police Stat and questioned. Was then taken to Kluang and imprisoned with Gurka and Chinese robber. Later tied to grill for over week and not fed. Would urinate on floor. This went on for few days when he was brought up and questioned all day by Nips. In morning upon his flying and relations with English Officers etc and in afternoon on conditions in Aust. One question was whereabouts of all airdromes and naval bases in Aust. Sgt told him he was very low in rank and did not know. Jap looked at him for ½ min and then gave him blunt wink. He was then taken up to Japs mess and lived with them being fed very well. Noticed training of young Japs very intensive. Was eventually taken to Singa where he was given bag of food, a truck with Indian driver and told to make his way to Changi where he was entered into hospital.

SAT AUG 29: Bit of gardening in morning and wood in evening. Went to musical after tea, Beethoven Pastoral splendid.

SUN AUG 30: Comm. Did bit of writing in morning. Had unusual parade in evening. Quite unexpectedly. Japs had form for each of us to sign. “I the undersigned do upon my honour promise never to escape.” We point blank refused. Understand same was made to English. Everyone has refused. What does the Jap think we are?

MON AUG 31: News of another ship from Australia. Hope food comes in soon. Parade for I.J.A. tomorrow. Talk on Theoretic by John Wood in evening. Proved very interesting. He seems to have met everyone who is anyone.

TUES SEPT 1: Up at 6.45. Parade for Japs at 9. Sat on parade for 3½ hrs being inspected and counted by Japs. Was released eventually. Very hungry. About 12pm. Talk in evening by Major Gunther on New Guinea. Pity soldiers who have to fight in that country with the head hunters.

WED SEPT 2: Had shock this morning. May all have to move to Barrack Square. Reprisals for not signing parade paper. Pretty bad but see no other way out for us. News definite later in day and ordered to move in by 6pm. More horror for English and all are to go in also. 20,000 men in a place normally used for company square stuff. About 6 acres. Hopped in and started digging latrines as usual and worked for 3 hrs when relieved. Had to go straight on with packing gear and shifting it to building allotted us. 1 building for us 6 for English. Hopelessly congested but everyone very cheerful and full of great contempt for Jap. Tremendous amount of work and everyone worked very hard. Most of furniture stayed but just got essential gear. We are allotted roof part of building open to all weather and rain. Rigged up bit of lean-to to keep off sun, but will not keep rain out. Six of us sleep together. Stupendous sight from where we are. Square just a seething mass of humanity. Most are working on latrines which are in middle of square. Rest are trying to fix up their camps. Thousands have to sleep out in open same as us but only few yds from latrines. Kitchens are very close also. R.A.P. in open square and some talk of appendix operation this evening. Japs refuse anyone to leave hospital or go into it. Be terrible if contagious disease breaks out. It will kill most of us. We are very fortunate to be a roof away from any flies and mosquitoes. Glorious view from here. See half the Straits, most of the island and way out the Java Sea. Notice the gaol all floodlit and looks very beautiful. Had very good sleep through night, it being very much cooler up here and towards morning got quite cool.

THURS SEPT 3: Very refreshed after cool night and cooks put on very good meal. Had to dig latrines for two hrs in morning. Very hot. Frightfully congested. Have difficulty in finding place on ground to eat meals. Finished our lean-to and much better being sheltered from sun. Water very short being one tap for 2000 men. Lucky to have my bottle full. Men have to queue up for everything, even for leak and crap. Can see disease breaking out before long. Japs are amazed at our fortitude and discipline. G.U.C. trying his best to relieve situation but think we will hang out about week. Surprising the things we see brought into camp. Beds, ducks a week old. Japs and Indians guard us with fixed bayonets all day and will not let us leave area. 4 men caught trying to escape some weeks ago and in hospital suffering from malaria were pulled from their beds and taken before a firing squad and shot. 2 Aust and 2 Eng caught 20 miles out to sea. Man named Brabington tried to take full blame but Japs would have none of it. Sikhs formed firing squad 3 died instantly. Brab was first shot in shoulder and jeered at them. He was then shot in groin and he sneered at them and told them to learn to shoot. Sikh then came right up to him and blew his brains out. All done in front of area. Comms and Black Jack nearly came to tears. Some talk of post honour V.C. for Brad. Several concerts in square most popular being A.I.F. Singing until late hour. There have been several improvements today, but no settlement reached. We have nothing to bargain with really but heads are trying to get the wording changed to being a direct order from J.I.A.

FRI SEPT 4: Slept fairly well and consider if one could stand the exposure until we could get used to it and it would be very healthy. The latrine arrangements are fairly good in square considering the cramped up room but they are shocking even at the best. Had to do my shift on digging in morning and heat was frightful. Still necessary work. Getting smells from them now and again but not bad yet. English are lining up for leak 2 lines up to 50 yds long. Meals a bit light for Japs have not supplied ration. They took a ration party away this morning. Brought ration for hospitals & Changi gaol. The rest was dumped in open. Meat, rice and cooking oil. Japs have heaps of barb wire scattered around. Several conferences under way and at 6.15 we were addressed by Col Gilingham who spoke at length on situation. Told us we were ordered to sign by Japs and refusal would mean death. A horrible form name disease and disfigurement from the various diseases which would occur. M.O. have given us 3 days when there will be outbreak. Numbers of dysentery and diphtheria are beginning to get bad and Japs have allowed these to be evacuated to hospital. Have threatened to cut even our meagre water off. Col said because of these and because holding out would only result in 100% casualties he would order us to sign and he would have to take the consequences. He was lavish in his praise for Col H in his dealings with the Japs. He was absolutely fearless with them and knowing them this is big thing. All conferences were held in open, we on our side of gutter and they on theirs. Sometimes these lasted for well over an hour and were very trying in blazing sun. The Jap even at one stage threatened to move the hospital over here. The talk by Col G. was received with appreciation and approval and we signed on the form at 8pm. More concerts in square and general comm singing until lights out 10.45. Everyone very happy. More cases taken to isolation. Cooks have done very well under conditions and wood was just about done. Japs allowed men to go to wood dump outside and get wood. I personally feel that the signature is not worth the paper it is signed on and I shall not keep to it if opportunity arises as I have signed in duress and threats. Wireless still going and news that we are doing very well everywhere. It rained in evening and blew our shelter about. Very cold but did not last more than hr. Managed to get another tarp and fixed it up. Japs thought we would be more uncomfortable in rain but instead we all had good bath from it.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:20 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 63:

SAT SEPT 5: Moving today or tomorrow. English are going first and we will be leaving after them. Had heavy storm about 11am and was very good to have another shower. Thousands on roof in rain and making most of it. Two huge mountains of earth in middle of square, spoil from latrines. Hope they do not decide to fill them in for we may have to come in again any time. Nobody trusts Japs. English have to move from Temple Hill into our area next Tuesday. Had lunch and Eng moved. Extraordinary sight and must have given Japanese thing to think about. Stream never stopped for 3 hrs and everything that had wheels was moved. Very hard work for Eng but all cheerful. I helped with first load of gear over to our cook house and then got some of my gear and went over to select room in next building for mates. Got one but had bed stolen from area. Afterwards found and restored. We are all settling nicely in but there is talk of another move again tomorrow. Shall protest if that is so. All scattered over area and Barrack completely evacuated for while. Sikhs still on guard and Jap bicycle patrols swarm around. Move from square was neatest I have seen except for nasty accident at foot of hill where few men were injured. Remarkable so few accidents. Very pleasant in new room but notice there are bugs so expect to be busy in future. Very hard work morning and everyone very tired. Was pleasure to have good clean up and get into clean clothes.

Chapter 12

SUN SEPT 6: Nicely settled in but think we will be on move before long. Worked all morning and at lunch time was told we would all have to move to another building. Got trailer and made combined move over to new building. Was fortunate to get room to ourselves on top floor and make ourselves very comfortable. Hope we do not have to move again for while. It is very hard work. Combined Church Parade in evening. 3 yrs since outbreak of war. Do not enjoy being forced to church.

MON SEPT 7: Everyone very busy on lots of work. English working hard moving furniture to Barrack Square where they are to live. They must be fed up with moving. Did a much needed washing in afternoon and made a few shelves for my clothes. Very cool here in building and always seems to be a breeze. One window overlooks the Padang and Eng lines. The English play a lot of football and cricket and it is very good to watch. The other window overlooks the main gully with Straits in building. We are in W.O.1 house. We had a trailer party to Changi wharf for Red X stores. We should get them tomorrow. Japs have allowed us normal rations again. Eng were still moving until a late hr.

TUES SEPT 8: On Cemetery fatigue today cleaning up around all A.I.F. graves. There are about 60 of our fellows in now. Very doleful sight. Eng still moving in comprised of 3 Indians, Corp. and Malayan Comm. Moving into Barrack Square. Saw large number of Japs going along rd in trucks, must have been over 1,000. Great deal of air activity, mostly exercising. News of war seems to be very favourable and encouraging. Were all paid today. Sum of 80 cents and cigarettes.

WED SEPT 9: Cleaning up area just vacated. Had good rest in evening and after tea went to lecture on Civics by A. Downer. Dwelt on American and Dutch Law and came to conclusion most good points were incorporated in Italian Gov. Did our purchasing at Canteen.

THURS SEPT 10: Cleaning area. Early lunch and tractor party to Arty Sq for meat. A fruitless journey. No meat.

FRI SEPT 11: Nothing of interest during day. Went to recorded rendition of light music after tea.

SAT SEPT 12: On cementing fatigue today. Finished cleaning up place and looked quite nice for parade of our fallen tomorrow. Went to Classical recital after tea and heard Beet Hovan’s Concerto “Kresler”.

SUN SEPT 13: Communion in morning and refused to go on Compulsory Church Parade after breakfast. It is against my principles. Found they are going to spoil our evensong each Sunday by making it compulsory. Think they are very wrong in forcing anyone to go to Church. Have not felt really well last few days and have a cold which persists. Feel very tired for home today and took out Eva’s photograph and had good look at it. Please God it won’t be long before we are together again. One can stand being half starved on a strange diet but one finds it very hard to bear being parted so long. In parade this evening the two men who were shot by Japs last week had to be buried on spot will be re-buried in our cemetery. There were four in all, 2 Eng, 2 A.I.F. who had tried to escape and were recaptured and brought back by Japs. Because of our refusal to sign paper we were ordered to Barrack Sq and these four were to be shot in front of us. Fortunately reason prevailed and they were shot down at the beach by four Sikhs. The Corporal in A.I.F. esp showed great fortitude even refusing to take a handkerchief proffered by Jap Officers. He was shot first in arm then in groin then at very close distance Sikh shot his brains out. The Corp jeered at Indians until the end. It was all witnessed by the area Comm and Black Jack was overcome with emotion when he told us of it. The Sikhs have a lot to answer for when this time of waiting is over. Went to church in evening and found this would be the last evensong to be held on Sundays. In future compulsory Church Parade will be held after tea. In one blow Black Jack has swept away the last thing we have which is free. Evensong is the most beautiful service there is and everyone in camp are seething to think we can no longer have the spontaneous service we have had since we have been here. A meeting was held in the Church after service in which it was decided to have Evensong on Wed. but this is not the same as on Sun. and fear it will not be a success.

MON SEPT 14: Went for salt water and found Nips very active. They hurried us up and inspected our containers. Must have thought we were running contraband. Saw 15 fighters go over circling. News very good today. Seem to be doing very well here in New Guinea and Timor. Sol’s are ours.

TUES SEPT 15: Rained today not much doing.

WED SEPT 16: Wood in morning. Inspection by M.D. in evening to find fit men for working parties. I was Post Malaria Unfit. Rained all morning. Went to lecture on Japanese Gov and part of British Constitution.

THURS SEPT 17: Started to put up bamboo fence. Went to Arty Sq. for goods for Canteen in evening. Had an order for 3lb Shark in at Canteen @ 11c per lb so did the Sgts. One of our mob went down for them and brought them back. 2 sharks uncleaned and with their heads on. A horrible sight so we unselfishly decided to give them to the Sgts. They took it like lambs but thought it rather dear. 70c for 3lbs. They can afford it more than we can.

FRI SEPT 18: Still on with fence. No. of men came from Java this morning. 25 Officers and N.C.O’S of A.I.F., and large number of English and Dutch A.I.F. in Barrack Sq. Were captured in at Timor, 1500 in all and were surrounded by paratroops. Japs certainly do job regardless of costs. Dropped trps from plane even at night. These are men of 40 Inf Brig and Coastal Arty. Rest are at Java.

SAT SEPT 19: Finished fence party. M.T. went to Singa today for goods. Proved to be just rice. Had to do two trips to Arty Sq to get the goods for canteen, mostly coconuts. Meat came in evening so will have small quantity of meat tomorrow. Went to musical recital after tea. Some beautiful music which included Gigli Singing. Those moments are frozen. Finished with Schubert’s Symphony No. 8.

SUN SEPT 20: Communion in morning. I did letter writing in morning afterwards. Lot of Japs around rds through night and at sunrise. Approx 1000 walked evidently on manoeuvre. Had to go on timber party for vegs in afternoon. Decided not to go to compulsory service after tea. Japs came back rather late singing away. Looks like they had been to shoot up near gaol.

MON SEPT 21: Finished palisade. Trailer party after lunch for wood. Quiz after tea. Have put my name for course of butchery & carpentry. Also will resume book-keeping. Solomons seem to be in our hands also most of New Guinea and Timor.

TUES SEPT 22: Eyes very sore this morning. If continues will see M.O. Also must have my teeth seen to. Japs went past again early for more shooting. Some were practising open formation and passing messages back. Seems ragtime army. Had two trailer journeys for wood morn & afternoon. Went to celebrity concert after tea & it was excellent. Tenor & Baritone & Violinist and was as good as would be heard anywhere in the world. Just wasting their time in prison camp. Have to move again tomorrow. Bit fed up with these continual moves & foresee trouble if they continue so inconsiderate.

WED SEPT 23: Other house busy moving. We not moving. Sgts next door did some very good groundwork and we have been able to keep our room. Major next door & ordinary downstairs so do not know if it is good thing. Only time will tell. Everyone very bitter & whole place unfit. Someone commented that he was fixing sheets to his bed we move so often. Had eyes done again today but does not seem to be doing them any good. An unfortunate incident late in afternoon. Was returning from M.I.R. when passed a company of Japs. Saluted first officer but did not see wizened officer in middle who I was supposed to salute also. Got bit of a slapping & was not nice at all. Will have plenty to remember after the turnout. Went to lecture by Alec after tea “Civics”
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 64:

THURS SEPT 24: Still very busy bring over Q & kitchen gear. Still getting drops in eyes. No improvement

FRI SEPT 25: Major Murphy sent me to eye specialist today. First had to go to new area M.O. thence to Major Cluffy. He examined and told me it was the complaint about here now & cause by diet deficiency. Put me on drops three times day. Palm oil & pkt yeast each day. Hope this improves complaint. Will start treatment tomorrow. Went to musical after tea.

SAT SEPT 26: Started treatment today. 1oz palm oil, 1 pkt yeast & castor oil drops three times daily. Sight bad especially in left eye. Last night at 11 we had to move to another building to make room for party from Java. All confused today owing to stupid bungling had to move back. No sooner got settled in then had to move again. Protested very strongly but to no avail. Went to Classified music.

SUN SEPT 27: Tried to march us to communion but was not having any. Went on my own. Men worked all day & had to go on C.P. after tea. C.O’s had to do fatigues. C.O. seems to be bunging it on a bit. More boring parties for boys. Tried to make us move again today but changed their minds. Java Party Officers upstairs. We are only ranks left in the house now. Bit cramped for space. Another man died in hospital 3 days ago. Two of them caught Bukit Timor stealing petrol. This fellow was badly bashed about the head & then sent him to hospital with fractured skull. The other fellow believed shot at gaol. Fellow came from Thomson Rd & had some vary grim tales to tell. He himself saw women knocked about beaten. In one case woman 2 months off child birth knocked down & kicked in body & stomach. Had some very hard work to do but has eased now. Fed fairly well. Got paid in evening for 10 days ending 20 Sept.

MON SEPT 28: Continuing with eye treatment & seems to be improving. C.O. still bunging it on. Some talk of reforming units ready for “Dog Tag.” Had Jap roll call at 10.30pm but Japs were not present. Men working all day now supposed to be getting fit. I’m not doing much myself having to stay inside most of day.

TUES SEPT 29: Went back to eye specialist this morning. Treatment having good effect; told me to continue & see him 6 days. Boys are working very hard & for full hours each day. Went to Choral concert given by English. It was excellent. Among items rendered “Passing by,” “Brahms Lullaby,” “Comrade in Arms,” “Toreador.”

WED SEPT 30: Went to lecture after on Civics.

THURS OCT 1: Boys cracking up with extra work. 5 went to A.I.R. & two to hospital. P.T instruction starts today. Lot of unrest among boys. Hope they buck. Beginning of new A.I.F. concert in new hall. Supposed to be fairly good. Went to lecture last night instead.

FRI OCT 2: Re-Classification of men today by new area M.O. Most of chaps on full duty now. Am still on light of course. Beginning of A.I.F. Talent competition after tea. Some of the items were excellent. Elect. light on at depot and makes wonderful difference. First light we Con. Have had for in some cases nearly a year. Red Cross stores pouring into Arty Sq but no issue as yet.

SAT OCT 3: Eyes not so good today. New lot of men came from K.L. 17 to our unit. Look fairly well what is left of them. Have had very heavy mortality in early stages. Jap Drs are examining hosp & Con Depot for unfit & incapacitated & it is believed they are going on R.C. ship now in docks.

SUN OCT 4: Very heavy storm in morning. Interesting stories from K.L. men. Lost 10% of men in prison camp. Conditions very bad. Cramped in gaol. Saw their own wounded bayoneted after capitulation. Conditions very bad with natives up there. Suicides not uncommon. Rape rife. 17 natives from over Kampong committed suicide. Many starving. Did not go on Church Parade. This has now lost its Spiritual significance & has become merely a dress parade to satisfy the esteem of Black Jack who takes the salute after each service. He has, by making it a compulsory parade, succeeded in making a mockery of the whole affair.

MON OCT 5: Nothing of importance in day except that I went to see eye specialist in morning & have to see him again on Saturday. Had a bit of supper instead of tea of chips, egg soup & fried rice.

TUES OCT 6: Went to W.M.C.Y. competition in evening & was disgusted at behaviour of O.C. camp. He was roasted by men & got up on stage & abused them. Said if any repetition he would stop all entertainment in camp. I think he is just a swine. Red C. supplies still flowing to Arty Square but none here yet. Men being sent from hospital worse than they went into it with painful feet. Some disgraceful happenings going on up there. Over 100 cases of milk has been stolen by the orderlies up to date. Patients say that when they have cigarettes to bribe the orderlies they just do not get treatment. One dysentery patient had 1 pair pyjamas for a month. The whole affair up there seems to be a racket. Never have I been so disgusted at being in an army as I am now.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:30 pm

'His Life Worth Living' - Page 65:

Chapter 13

WED OCT 7: Lots of rumours of R.X. issue but has not come to light yet. Many truckloads gone down to Changi wharf. Went to lecture on Civics after tea.

THURS OCT 8: More men in from camp in town today. Talk of all Bukit Timor crowd coming in. Looks like another move. Went to talk on Japan with lid off and it proved both interesting and humorous. Bad accident on hill. One man fractured his skull by fall from cycle. Another man run over by tractor. Hurt back. More men in from hospital suffering from diet deficiency. Can’t get help for them. Their diseases seem to be related to feet which ache unbearably & eyes which seem to become completely blind eventually. I was fortunate to get the eye complaint treated in early stages & now they are nearly better. Feet still ache.

FRI OCT 9: Rumour of more men coming in today. Things seem to be taking a bright turn in the news. Got R.X. issue of 68 cigarettes today. Not much good to me but will either sell them or send them up to hospital to someone I know. Am far more interested in food. Musical in evening. Very good and large crowd.

SAT OCT 10: Quite a good day. Had first of R.X. food & it was just marvellous. Milk & sugar with rice for breakfast. 10 tins of B. Beef in stew for lunch & 12 in for evening meal, for 130 men. Feel benefit of it already & hope it keeps up. Man who had bad accident died fractured skull. Went to eye specialist Major Orr & he told me to continue treatment for another week. Also put me on Marmite. Went to concert in evening in new A.I.F. theatre. They have certainly made a very good job of converting these old garaging sheds into a concert hall. The artists have even made sweets. Accommodation 700.

SUN OCT 11: Nothing of note except played game of bridge at M.I.R. with some patients. In evening Church parade as usual. Was not there but believe service was a bit unruly. Cappy gave men lecture afterwards. One result of compulsory Church service. Black Jack has succeeded in using Church as excuse for Ceremonial Parade. Paid in evening. Large body of men supposed to have left River Valley Rd for overseas when Java party went to Japan week ago. No sign of our party coming from Bukit Timor yet.

MON OCT 12: Had some very good meals today. For evening meal had fish soup, rice & bully stew & boiled pudding & choc sauce. News late that very big working party to start tomorrow & next day. Hope I am not included. M.I. units go in morning & everyone seems to go to River V. Rd.

TUES OCT 13: Unlucky today, I think, for will sure to be on working party. Have to see M.O. this morning to be re-classified. 4 offcs & 68 or more including K.L. party. Went before M.O. and was classified unfit. Thank heaven. My guardian angel still watching over me. Rest are going away in morning. Will be fairly quiet when they go for will be only unfit & essential duties left. Was talking to man from Java & he had interesting tale to tell. Was on ship from Egypt & was trapped at Java. Said place was rotten with fifth column. Our engineers had to point weapons at Dutch before they could blow up bridges etc. Dutch blew up oil wells but did not destroy machinery so these & tin works are working. Told very terrible tales of survivors of ‘Houston’ Yank ship. Exeter, Perth, Hobart were sunk in Mar after Sunda Straits battle. Last named was making for Indian Ocean. Also ‘Yarra’ was sunk. Only original ships are ‘Adelaide’ & ‘Australia’ & Br Gov gave them ‘Shropshire’. Supposed to have lost between Yanks & us 500 & Yanks claim 480 Japs themselves. Told that after Pearl Harbour episode the Yanks were diverted to Aus. 10 divisions in all. Supposed to be over million Yanks in Aust now. Seems to be well supplied with Flying Fortresses. Much packing up & confusion after tea.

WED OCT 14: Breakfast very early & boys away by 8.30 to Barr. Sq. Were still there at 12 noon. Japs moving Java crowd away first. Must be moving about 6,000 today & I think they will all eventually go overseas. Very quiet here after they all went & missed my lunch through dozing past mess parade. Min, in my absence elected me representative of the mess so I can see a few lively times ahead with this R.Q.M. Anderson. Do not trust him & he is putting his batman in with him. Still they are starting right away with it by putting on good tea. Alec over hospital with dys. So will try & get in touch with Yed & tell him. May move out of here into another part of building tomorrow.

THURS OCT 15: Very lonely & quiet all day so decided to shift my gear again & get with some of the other fellows. Went to Church in evening and listened to an address by padre. One of many for confirmation class.
FRI OCT 16: Shifted camp. Mess rep. Keeping me busy. Heard a very good story told by Black Jack at hospital re saluting. Pulled man up & demanded salute. Don’t you know I am Col Gallaghan G.O.C. of A.I.F. in Malaysia. Man said you should salute me, I am Sir Marshall 2nd Saigon & in charge of B.G.H. Went to music in evening and heard some very good pieces played.

SAT OCT 17: Went to Maj Orr today & was examined. My eyes are improving with treatment & must go to see him next Friday. Went to talk ‘Conquest of Abyssinia’ in evening.

SUN OCT 18: Looks as if wet season has well & truly started. Went to meeting of Amenities Comm in morning & was forced to address gunners mess at lunch time re position. Getting very good meals & they have not much to complain about.

MON OCT 19: Not much through day. Still doing rice gristing.

TUES OCT 20: Bombshell today. Lists are wanted by I.J.A. of men fit for working party, men fit to move but not fit to work & men unfit to move. Looks like a move before long. Assured that no Colonial trps are leaving the Ward. But English are going – over 150 each day. I definitely think Japs know of attempted organization of B.J. & are fast breaking things up.

WED OCT 21: More Yank & Dutch trps came in this morning. First air activity for some weeks. S.M. making things difficult for me. Went to Civics lecture in evening.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter