Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 34:

The Quest For Meaning

A movie 'Fields of Dreams' with actor Kevin Coster shows a farmer played by Coster who after planting a crop of corn a voice in the corn speaks, 'build it and he will come'. Throughout this movie Coster is driven by this message in the quest for meaning.
Instead of growing corn he builds a baseball arena. Ghost players from a past baseball team his father once played appear from the corn fields to play baseball. A message is delivered to Coster to seek out an author in New York to help solve the words, 'build it and he will come.'
His journey takes him to New York where he finds a retired author who he needs to take to the local baseball game. Whilst they're at the game a message displays on the screen only Coster and the author can read. Their journey continues across Amercia to find the person's name left on the screen.
Coster finds this person they need to speak with, a retired doctor. In his youth he wanted to play baseball with the same team. On his return journey home, the author accompanies him when they pick up a young hitch-hiker who wants to play baseball. All three journeys to Coster's farm when a baseball game being played between two ghost teams from a bygone era. The young hitch-hiker joins one of the teams.
Coster concluded his journey. Coster's father passed away years before Coster married not having met Coster's wife or daughter. Near the end of the movie Coster is seen throwing the ball to the catcher who is identified as Coster's father. A warm and wonderful movie. The quest for meaning is truly exhibited in this movie.
How can the quest for meaning be experienced in our lives? Two events happen to all of us. We're born, we die. These are facts. In between times we experience the quest for meaning. To explain an example of my life to show the quest for meaning.
In 2009 I discovered my quest for meaning by writing my memoirs. Before starting this task, I sketched on a A4 size paper in landscape commencing from most recent to as far back as I remembered of my life. I wrote bubbles of ideas joined by arrows. My mind developed a picture of how lucky my life had been.
The quest for meaning showed me various events in my life. Instead of following a certain direction this quest for meaning turned into a different direction. After watching the movie 'Fields of Dreams' I understood why Kevin Coster did what he needed to do to discover his quest for meaning.
Throughout my discover of the quest for meaning exploring highlights, an important event in my life discovered my ambitions to be a writer. This is a great discovery I learned to finally understand the quest for meaning.
Word count: 484
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 35:

The Resolution That Failed

Throughout my life, I have believed in two standards – honesty plus trust. If one can’t be honest and trustworthy not much left in any relationship. I’ll share this story of ‘The Resolution That Failed’.
In 2004 Brett Lowcock, a local builder in Imbil constructed a carport for me. Most satisfied with his work a decade later I recommended him to build a bathroom and loungeroom in my daughter’s home. At the time from previous undertakings with Brett I was satisfied he would complete the task without many issues. I honesty trusted him to complete the task.
During this time, he worked on my daughter’s construction I asked him to sand and paint my front veranda plus repair a step. Because I was going away I paid him in advance $150.00 in cash to finish the job in my absence. We shook hands on the deal. I handed over the money. At the time, I totally trusted Brett to carry out the work. He promised me on my return he’d have the job completed to my satisfaction.
Returning from my holiday everything was the way before I left. Asking Brett why he didn’t complete the task his reply, ‘when I’m ready’. The penny dropped. The resolution that failed raised its ugly head in front of me. I handed my money to him in good faith believing he would complete the task on my return. I failed to identify Brett wasn’t honest nor trustworthy.
Now thirteen months later I had the work completed by another person to my satisfaction. On several occasions, I’ve approached Brett about his dishonesty and trustfulness. His reply not worth repeating in this story. I’d been taken in by a most dishonest person. Caught between a rock and a hard place I approached a police officer to report this crime.
Brett told the police officer he accepted my money in return for completing the task, however, hadn’t been able to complete the job. That resolution also failed. I thought about taking legal action, however for such a small sum of money the cost would out-weigh the hope of retrieving my money.
Karma plays a huge part in our lives. Many times, in my life karma has come through when another has betrayed my trust by not being honest. How would karma play a part in the life of Brett Lowcock? In my mind, I honestly believe I’ll never receive $150.00 from him. What strange events happen after the act? Each time I mentioned the name Brett Lowcock to anyone in Imbil their reply. ‘He’s not much good. Dishonest into the bargain.’
The penny should’ve dropped before I parted with my money. Remembering a couple of years before when he did work on my friend’s home she complained how Brett overcharged her. Like I wrote before my two standards in life are: trust and honesty. If you can’t trust another to be honest than what else is left.
I’ve tried a new strategy knowing Brett will never repay my $150.00; however, karma will play a part in our lives for a suitable resolution. Monthly I write a letter to Brett telling him he is a thief plus a dishonest person. I also mention karma will play a part in the resolution that failed.
Word count: 551
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/766429.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 36:

The Virgin Father

My mind passes back to a trip my partner and I went on many years ago, ‘Stars, Spars, Outback Tour’. Instead of staying in motel accommodation, we camped on outback sheep and cattle stations.
Shortly after turning twenty-one years old I worked on a sheep and cattle property in far south-west Queensland. This latest adventure became different to anything I ever experienced before.
Country people are always friendly greeting us with warm country hospitality. First property we stayed overnight ‘Nardoo Station’ north of Cunnamulla in south-west Queensland. Not long after arrival our host took us on a tour of the property to familiarise us with this great country.
I’d seen most of this type of country a hundred times over, particularly, mulga scrub, open plains, Mitchell grass, until we came across a nest of Emu eggs in a clearing. Our guide stopped the bus for all to decamp and inspect this wonderland of animal instinct. All my travelling through this country, I never witnessed this sight before. Five large emu eggs in a nest with a giant male Emu standing nearby.
‘Let me explain to you about the Emu.’ The guide started to inform us all. ‘These eggs were laid by the female Emu, she left her nest. The male Emu sits on these eggs for six weeks until the chicks are born.’ I needed to close my mouth before flies entered.
‘A Virgin Father.’ These words I spoke aloud.
‘What do you mean, A Virgin Father’? The guide asked me.
‘Simple, the female Emu lays the eggs. The male Emu takes over making him ‘The Virgin Father’. I said in astonishment. This thought entered my mind when the male Emu stood near the eggs.
‘How do you work out he’s ‘A Virgin Father’? The guide questioned me. Obvious she’d become intrigued with my answer.
‘Okay, I realise they conceived the eggs before laying them. ‘The Virgin Father’ is unique because probably he is the first male I’ve ever seen to sit on eggs to produce his chicks. I’ve never witnessed a man pregnant. Have you?’ I explained in a manner-of-speaking.
‘When you explain how this happened in the way you have done. Yes, I agree, ‘The Virgin Father’ is a male Emu. I’ll need to keep this in mind to tell other guests.’ Our guide answered with a frown on her face.
‘You’re clever to point out this point.’ My partner whispered in my ear.
‘Don’t worry. I only thought of ‘The Virgin Father’ after the guide told us about the male Emu sitting on the eggs. I’m not clever.’ I finished with a smile spread across my face.
‘I think you’re clever.’ My partner replied holding my hand in hers. ‘You are my Virgin Father’.
‘I’m too old to be sitting on your eggs.’ I smiled.
Word count: 474
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 37:

The Year That Never Was

2017. Will this year be any different to 2016? I can’t complain about 2016. Everything I set out to achieve, I achieved. Writing, publishing, marketing books number 19 and 20 to the world. Who would’ve thought in twenty-nine years I would achieve this milestone.
Back in 1988 at the time I wrote and published book number one ‘Closing The Gap’ my mind completely focused on doing my best to achieve this goal of writing and publishing one book. Now in 2017 my goal to write a novel plus publish stories we write at Pomona Writer’s Group is beyond imagination.
To achieve these goals in 2017 I don’t want to think of ‘The Year That Never Was’. I look forward to writing my next novel. A fire burns in my belly. My mind fixed on research I need to undertake before I start. Character conversations are recording in my mind to write this next novel. I’m ready.
How do one write and publish a novel annually you may ask? Dedication, resilience, time management, self-belief plus the need to finish the job. My next novel is a continuation from my previous one set in the period between 1899 to 1902 in Australian history. These times were important for Australia because in 1899 declaration of ‘Boer War’ in South Africa when Australia joined forces with Britain.
1901 became probably most significant period in our nation’s history because we became a Federation. Writing of the constitution, selection of Parliament included our first Prime Minister. Not forgetting between 1897 until 1902 Australia experienced the worst drought in living history especially in outback Australia.
I have much to write about. Once research of these periods has been completed, time to write. At this stage I have no idea of the topic or name of the novel. May name this latest book, ‘The Year That Never Was’. Sounds original. More I think about this title the more appealing to use this title. I will use this title for my next novel. Should fit the requirements plus the storyline.
First to set a goal of finishing the book by November 2017. Write the goal onto ‘To Do List’. Download movie of ‘Breaker Morant’. View movie to incorporate storyline into book. Search Google for information about Boer War plus Australia. Place information into a folder for later reference. Search Google for Federation of Australia. Who became our first Prime Minister? When? Place information into folder for later reference.
Most important to start, write, write and continue to write until the final page. Make the story interesting, characters lift from the pages. Bring tears to my eyes when writing the emotions of what I write, each reader will experience a similar emotion. Write daily even though may only be a few words or as many words as my muse will allow.
Enchant the reader by writing explosive storytelling at best. Make the reader want to turn the next page. Use simple words, meaningful, enlightening. Most important of all, have fun writing this story. If the writer enjoys their story so then will the reader. In November 2017 ‘The Year That Never Was’ will be available for all to read.
Word count: 537
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 38:

They Also Served

My son's words almost made me choke with emotion. 'Dad. I'm pleased you're not a policeman any longer.' Why would he tell me these words? I never understood why he hated me being a serving member of Queensland Police Service.
I asked him to explain. His words cut through me like a hot knife through butter. 'At school the other students called me 'piglet'. They spat on me. I hated you being in the police especially when you sat next to me on the train to school.'
After twenty years continued service in Queensland Police Service I retired on medical grounds at forty-two years old after having a pacemaker implantation. My world changed completely from having a secure career to nothing. Hearing my son say these words I never ever in my career thought me being a police officer affected him so much. They also served.
Thinking back to when I met my wife, I'd been a policeman for nine months. She stood beside me through thick and thin being my sounding board after returning home from a heavy investigation. After my retirement I remember sitting with her on the front veranda of our home, her words clear. 'You should write stories of what you did in the police. Those stories you told me. People would love to read them.' I did write these stories.
Whilst writing my first book 'Closing The Gap' my daughter fell in with the wrong crowd at school. When I confronted her about this discovery her words hurt me more than I ever imagine. 'They are the only ones I can talk with. Others walk away when I try to join them because they think I'll tell you what they said. I'm wrong to mix with this crowd, they cause problems, but they talk with me.' Her words shattered my self-confidence. My daughter also served.
I clearly remember my words to her. 'Are you proud I'm a police officer?' I asked her. She began to cry.
'Yes I am.' She sobbed.
'If you are proud of me being a police officer you should tell these so-called friends you are proud of your father being a police officer.' I explained.
After wrapping my arms around her shoulders, she sobbed until regaining herself. 'What is my punishment?' She asked.
'You decide your own punishment.' I replied.
'A month of not watching 'Home and Away'. She answered. Kaylene's experience became the first chapter of 'Closing The Gap' my first book.
A policeman's life is a hard one serving their community. A common analogy in police circles, 'one day you bow to the Queen of England, the next day you pick a drunk from the gutter.' So much variety of life.
Apart from myself, they also served, my wife, daughter, son through all the ups and downs of everyday life. I remember well the morning I confronted a deranged man holding a rifle to my forehead. I didn't think of my position of a police officer in such danger, I thought of my family.
My daughter's words continue to ring in my ears after we attended the twenty-fifth Anniversary Dinner of Crimestoppers. She said on our journey home, 'Dad, you leave behind a legacy by establishing Crimestoppers for Queensland.' These words from my daughter showed how proud she was of me.
Looking back on my life I'm proud to have served Queensland as a police officer. I never would've done so without the support of my wife, daughter and son. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine how my service affected their own lives. They also served.
Word count: 609
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 39:

Tomorrow and Tomorrow?

Tomorrow never comes. Today is present, yesterday is past whilst tomorrow never comes. Tomorrow the day after the present day. For instance, Tuesday is always followed Monday. Tomorrow is hope for the future.
Speaking of future. I am gravely concerned about my grandchildren's future. Changes in my life have been many from living with no electricity to becoming overpowered with technology we didn't dream of having at their age. From the first sight of television to computers, technology overrides our lives.
My eldest grandson is seventeen years old, completed grade twelve at a private school. Obtained high grades for entrance into any university. Since finishing school he's now suffering from ATWS (Anxiety To Work Syndrome). After leaving school he worked a couple of days installing Foxtel application which he loved. However, this stopped. In fact, he stopped. Since leaving school his motivation to work is zero.
Promoting my books through social media is tough unless one comes up with a great idea. An idea floated through my mind. I wanted to have a presentation to show others my journey of how I became an author. On impulse, I passed the idea to my grandson. 'That's easy Pop.' His comment. 'You write your story. Leave the rest to me.'
After writing the story I wanted others to read, my grandson placed these words with slides together with music made a video to post on YouTube. After watching this video, I couldn't believe how proud of his achievements he made me. He brushed the comment off as nothing.
Each opportunity I link the video to Facebook, LinkedIn, e-mails. Within one week of publication this site recorded more than two hundred and twenty hits. Extraordinary effort. Time to speak with my grandson to explain how proud of what he accomplished. 'Nothing Pop.'
A deep concern worried me. How to motivate my grandson to learn more of this gift to become successful. I strongly suggested he attend university to learn more of his craft. His answer, ' No!' Attempts to make him understand the importance of his future in designing these models to help other author like myself fell on deaf ears. Frustration built inside of me.
My mind screamed how to help him discover his forte. I tried every concealable trick in the book to make him understand how important for him to study this area. To no avail. I wasn't going to give up.
Because he suffers from ATWS (Anxiety To Work Syndrome) I decided to stop pestering him. Allow him to make his own decision. Almost broke my heart a gift going down the drain of hopelessness.
Before I commenced to write this story, my grandson informed me he has accepted my decision and made application to study at university to further his career in the field of technology. My insides almost burst with delight at this news. I kept a straight face; nodded to accept his decision. My only desire is tomorrow and tomorrow he continues to follow his dream.
Word count: 510
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm

'Greatest OMR Stories' - Page 40:

Well I Never

Growing through my childhood in Roma, during the fifties, my greatest thrill to sit with my elders listen to their stories. Words ‘well I never’ a huge part of their vocabulary. Sixty years later these words resonate in my mind reminding me of these times.
Today our children and grandchildren wouldn’t have a clue how to listen to their elders sponging up information as we did, because no longer do we gather to share our lives unless through social media. How times have changed. Technology has taken over our lives in more ways we can ever imagined. I’d love to share my stories with my grandchildren and children. Each time I try all they comment: ‘you’ve told us those stories before’.
Each year takes us closer to the end of our lives. After my grandmother passed away I tried to keep her memory alive by writing her life story to distribute between her relatives as a keepsake. Some thanked me, only two to my memory, others didn’t reply. Her words ‘well I never’ will never be spoken again. Her person seated on her favourite lounge chair, smoking her pony cigarette, satisfied look on her face, without a care in the world.
If I mention the words ‘well I never’ to my children or grandchildren they’d think, I’d gone bananas. Next, they’d place me into a retirement home for the elderly. Whilst I have my true memory, write and publish my books I want to stay in my own home if possible.
Monthly I speak with my elder aunt, who is eighty-seven years old. Our conversation boarders on realism. She is very good for her age keeping fit and healthy. Our conversations evolve around family. She shares her stories of growing up during World War 11 plus further back to share her memories of those times. After we finish I’m inspired on how when one reaches their twilight years each enjoy what they do to make their lives more liveable.
These words ‘well I never’ repeated a million times during her youth because in those times relatives visited often staying for weeks at a time. Her younger life most precious because of her six sisters, my mother being one, plus warm loving parents. When she had the opportunity to listen to her elders speaking of their daily experiences she sat silent drinking in the flavours of conversation with the words ‘well I never’ used constantly.
Those days are gone forever. Whenever my children visit me, which is often, their only request is to ask me to do something for them. Never wanting to share their day nor their personal experiences. These words ‘well I never’ will die with the people who once spoke these words to share. We will never have these words spoken again in the way they used to be.
Word count: 479
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter