• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 88:

To Bundy’s surprise when the court case came up for hearing, a Queens Counsel who was regarded as the highest authority for the defence represented the offender. Bundy packed the ‘shits’. He had to tell the truth about the evening and about his drinking and was giving his evidence under oath.
On the morning of the court hearing Bundy said silently to himself, if I get out of this jam, I’m definitely going to do something about my drinking.
He answered with honesty the questions asked by the defence counsel involving his drinking on the night including his state of intoxication at the time of interviewing his client. By telling the truth actually helped Bundy.
Bundy didn’t take any notice of his own advice. Not long after the court case, he was involved with another court hearing this time in the city. Herbert and Bundy were the investigating officers. After the court hearing, Bundy was happy to return home because the hearing had completed earlier than expected. Herbert had different ideas.
On their leaving the court hearing Herbert said to Bundy, ‘How much money have you got on you? My horse is racing this afternoon and the trainer thinks it can win.’
‘I haven’t got very much at all.’ Bundy replied.
‘We’ll have to stop at the bank and get some out before we get to the races.’ Herbert said.
That afternoon Bundy witnessed Herbert’s horse win a race at the price of 50 to 1. He won $2,000.00. He was overly excited and overjoyed with his win he suddenly forgot about going home. They stopped at a hotel on their journey home to have a drink and celebrate their winnings.
To purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 89:

By the time Bundy arrived home, the time was almost eleven o’clock. Ada was waiting for him to arrive home because her sister and husband had arrived to have dinner with them.
The moment Bundy walked into the house, Ada screamed about being late again, and being drunk. Bundy didn’t care what she was saying all he wanted to do was to tell her about his winnings. Walking along the hallway toward the kitchen area, he felt a spray of peas strike the wall beside him, at the same time hearing Ada voicing her disappointment about him being home late again and drunk. Luckily, for Bundy none of the peas from the tin struck him, instead busted against the hallway wall landing onto the floor.
Ada was ropeable and visibly upset with Bundy. He displayed a huge grin on his face, which didn’t help the situation and greeted his visitors and pulled fifty-dollar notes from his pockets and threw them onto the kitchen table.
Ada couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Bundy kept pulling money from his pockets, throwing it onto the table in front of her. There was so much money; it almost covered the whole of the table area.
‘I won at the races.’ He couldn’t contain his excitement.
Even after twenty years Ada’s sister still recalls how she witnessed her sister throwing a tin of peas at him and how he threw money from his pockets onto the table. She hadn’t seen so much money in all of her life before that time. They all laugh about the event each time they’d get together remembering how it used to be for them as young married couples.
Shortly afterwards Ada gave her ultimatum to Bundy either to ship up or to ship out. All was not good in the Bundy household; also his work was being affected by his drinking behaviour. Something had to stop. Bundy searched through his database of ‘drinking’ finally understanding that ‘he had no control over alcohol’.
It was now up to him to STOP drinking alcohol and change his life to be able to live a life without alcohol. This event became the greatest challenge Bundy had ever undertaken in his life. He was going to be SUCCESSFUL.
Even more importantly was his promise he made to Ada – I PROMISE I WILL NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL AGAIN!
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 90:

Chapter 5

It would take time for him to change and didn’t matter how much time because he had the remainder of his life to do so. At least now he was determined to stop drinking alcohol and try to stay sober.
After analysing his life of drinking alcohol, one immediate thought always entered his mind, he realised he had a problem with alcohol. Now was the time to accept the problem and to do something about it.
At the time of this very important self-discovery he didn’t think he needed help from anyone else to stop his drinking. He knew what he had to do, was to finally take control over his need for alcohol. He firmly believed alcohol had control over him, and for him to have control over alcohol, he had to stop drinking it. He couldn’t accept he was an alcoholic. His vision of an alcoholic was a drunken person lying in the gutter. If he didn’t take this action, at this moment as he had done, there was no doubt in his mind he would one day have been found in the gutter later on in his life.
He was lucky to have Ada condemn his drinking behaviour on the 13th January 1977. Ada gave him the ‘kick up the bum’ at the appropriate time so he could have a good look at himself.
Life for Bundy became more easily than he had been used to. For instance, he was handling his work more easily without thinking he needed to drink alcohol to make it work.
His home life improved out of sight, although Ada always reminded him she could not trust him. Would she ever trust him again?
‘Why can’t you just have a social drink?’ Ada often said to Bundy.
‘What is a social drink? If I have one drink – I can’t stop until I’ve have a gut full.’ Bundy replied.
It was four months since Bundy stopped drinking alcohol. He continued visiting the hotel with his workmates after work having his claytons tonic mixed with water. After awhile he stopped going to the hotel with his workmates, instead going home to Ada and their two children. Life had changed; he wanted to take one step at a time.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 91:

An opportunity arose for Bundy to relieve as a ‘Boss’ in another town further out west for four months. Before he stopped his drinking, no one would have asked him to relieve in such a position. He accepted. With Ada and the children they settled into their new position with ease.
Bundy seldom had any difficulties with performing his job. In fact, according to his peers, he was a very competent investigator showing zeal, tenacity and ability to investigate any crime. Unfortunately, alcohol always dimmed their views after hearing of his latest ‘drinking binge’. Now he was sober, his reputation went before him wherever he’d go.
A bar in this town the police often frequented, was known as the ‘Cattleman’s Bar’. Butch was the barman. When Bundy arrived in the town, he was invited to the ‘Cattleman’s Bar’ for a drink. He spoke to Butch and told him he didn’t drink alcohol. He shared his story of drinking clayton’s tonic with water. Each time Bundy asked Butch for his ‘usual’ Butch understood what he wanted – clayton’s tonic with water. It was only known between the two of them.
Monthly, all of the police officers from the surrounding police stations gathered at this town for a conference. After the conference the police officers who wanted to have a drink, congregated at the ‘Cattleman’s Bar’. Bundy joined them for a drink.
Bundy drank his ‘usual’. He stood beside a junior constable from an outlying station who’d been drinking beer. He, the constable was getting to an intoxicated state. He was so intoxicated he was about to ‘take his belt off from his trousers and wrap it around the bar handle to hold him upwards so he wouldn’t fall over.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:08 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 92:

He looked at Bundy with a peculiar gaze in his eyes, at the same time said, in a very slurred speech, ‘you detectives must be taught how to drink, and I’ve sat here with you all day. I’ve seen you drink scotch and water and you don’t look like you’ve had a drink.’
Bundy couldn’t help but smile and said, ‘Yeah, we’re taught to drink,’ thinking what a wonderful experience he’d enjoyed by knowing he was not drunk.
Returning to his hometown after working as a ‘Boss’ out west, he received a message from the ‘Big Boss’ of the Region who immediately wanted to see him in his office. He had no idea why he wanted to see him. Why, would this person want to see me? I haven’t done anything wrong I know of lately, Bundy thought when he journeyed to his office.
‘Come in Bundy, I’m pleased you came to see me.’ His Superintendent replied.
‘What is it I can help you with Sir?’ He answered not certain why he was there.
‘I’ve been told you stopped drinking?’
‘Yes, Sir, It’s been almost nine months now.’ Bundy replied still not certain why he was there.
‘How did you stop?’ His Superintendent asked in an inquiring voice.
‘My wife gave me an ultimatum if I didn’t do something about my drinking she would leave me and take my two children with her.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 93:

‘Women are like that.’ He continued. ‘What have you done to stop yourself from not drinking?’ He wanted to know.
‘I drink clayton’s tonic with water.’ Bundy told his Superintendent.
‘Why I’ve asked you to come to see me is I have a person on staff with an alcohol problem. When I heard you have stopped drinking I knew how much you used to drink and wanted to speak with you about how you did it so I could help this other person.’ The Superintendent said.
‘Would you like me to have a chat with him Sir? I’m happy to do so.’ Bundy said relieved to know he wasn’t in trouble.
‘No - it’s all right, I’ll speak with him. I think the circumstances are a little different with this fellow. Thank you anyway for the offer. That will be all for now. Keep up the good work you are doing.’ Superintendent replied.
‘Thank you Sir.’
When he returned to his office, Alex wanted to know why the ‘Big Boss’ wanted to see him. Bundy explained in detail of his conversation with their ‘Big Boss’.
‘Well, Bundy who would have thought by giving away the grog like you did would have attracted the attention of the chief.’ Alex said.
Bundy smiled, when he left Alex’s office and pondered with the thought of only nine months before, he was the villain and now he was quickly becoming a hero for not drinking alcohol.
News about Bundy’s visit to the Superintendent’s office quickly spread like wild fire throughout the region, making his visit a major topic of conversation whenever police congregated to hear the latest gossip. It was news for police to hear about Bundy’s abstinence of alcohol more so, ‘reasons for his stop drinking and how he did it’.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm

'Confessions of an alcoholic' - Page 94:

Whenever he was in the company of other detectives they always inquired, ‘how long has it been now Bundy since you give the piss away – how did you do it?’ It became somewhat of a boring subject for Bundy, because he was certain he didn’t behave in this manner when he was drinking, he told them. ‘Like bloody hell, you were one of the worst drunks in the police force,’ echoed the chorus from the others who remembered Bundy from his drinking days.
This conversation reminded him of the times he’d attended ‘Send Offs’ for his fellow officers. He was always one of the first to arrive and always the only one left by the end of the night, drunk as usual. He certainly had a reputation, which hadn’t done his career much good. Now was a different story. He was always one of the first persons asked to attend a ‘send off’ because he didn’t drink; others could drink to their heart’s content while Bundy was the driver to take them home.
There was a minus to this problem, for when Bundy was driving his drunken colleagues’ home; it was always a topic of conversation about ‘how much did Bundy actually drink?’
‘I’d spill more than what you fellows ever drank. I’d be so full, I’d have to put corks in both of my ears so the grog wouldn’t run out of my nose’ was his constant answer when asked the same question.
o purchase this book: click here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7688
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter