An extraordinary writer
:read ENJOY READING THE PAGE PER DAY

• Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby dub » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:41 am

Hi Pat
Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 39:
Economy – As If People Matter
I got home from work after a, 9 and a bit hour day ( a miners travelling time) and, along with my return commute of about an hour. :wub
OMR- page 39 made me think on, how easy I have it. 'being that I'm away ( 9 hours vis'a vie 1 month :shock: ) missing my wife and home :kiss
Similarly, as in the miners situation, this can be said at least stressful :scratch
Nine times out of ten there is always an empty seat, at the cake table
respect to these guys :notworthy it's a tough call!
Respect!
:thanks
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Thank you dub for your comments. Yes we don't realise how much time we are absent from our family: here is the story for today: 'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 41:

Don’t Go Out In The Rain.

What goes through the mind of a twelve year old lad whose parents uproot him from the school he attended since grade one? His small world collapsed the night his father told the family they were moving to the city.
Did his parents ask him for his opinion? Not on your Nellie. In those times there was a code of ethics in parent groups - children should be seen and not heard.
He went along with the course of action decided by his parents and moved to the city. Grade seven was difficult; he found it hard to make friends, they were not like his friends he’d left behind in the country.
Abuse followed - including intimation, caused him to fall in with the wrong group. He was accepted by this group, a special group of lads similar in age whom couldn’t fit into school. Each hated school and instead fretted away each day getting up to mischief.
One day these so-called friends decided to break into a building and steal. The lad joined in the fray not knowing at the time the consequences this event in his life would become.
One Sunday afternoon the owner of the building where the break and enter took place, came to the lad’s home to interrogate him about the break-in. To the astonishment of the lad, his father stuck up for him to inform the owner his lad wouldn’t do such a thing because he was at school. He believed his son when told he didn’t do it.
This lad felt humiliated and swore to never wag school again. His father punished him by grounding him for six weeks. Not to leave home only to attend school. He’d lost the trust of his father and had to regain it.
When the lad attended school, because he was absent a lot of the time; he never understood any of the teachings in class.
Science was being taught. The teacher said to the class, ‘don’t go out in the rain.’
Everyone in the class, except for the lad, chorused ‘because you’ll dissolve – salt melts in water.’
The lad then and there made a decision. He would gain his father’s trust at whatever cost. To recover from his indiscretion, he decided to pull up his socks and apply his mind to study rather than wag school and hang around with the wrong group.
This was a turning point in his life. If he’d followed his mates down their pathway in life, he would have gone in the wrong direction.
These words, don’t go out in the rain, became his totem.
Whenever a ping shot off in his mind to indicate something wasn’t right, the words, don’t go out in the rain, entered his thoughts and immediately signalled him to stop and think about what he was about to do.
Word count: 482.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT FOR THE NEXT WEEK HAVING A SHORT HOLIDAY. CATCH UP WITH YOU ALL WHEN I RETURN. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT. MUCH APPRECIATED...........PAT

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 1853 times

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:00 am

Thank you Nevis. I'm back. Enjoyed my time out west. Here is the page for today: 'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 42:

Life Has Been Good To Me So Far.

To be truthful, yes, it has. I’m retired from the workforce and enjoy each moment of every day more than I can ever have imagined. Early morning I submit details of a page from a book I’ve written for all to read on facebook, continue writing and publishing a book I’m presently writing. My days are filled with plenty to occupy my mind. It’s wonderful to be doing what you want in life. It’s a dream come true.
You may ask, ‘what is there to write about?’ This is a fair question, however, after a lifetime of adventure, career, medical issues, losing my wife through cancer, taking on the role of grandparent; there is a reservoir of information banked to be released when needed.
We are an aging population with expectation to live and celebrate our one hundred year birthday. To reach this milestone, I know, I need to keep healthy and to do what I’ve always wanted to do. I can see me writing and publishing books well into my century.
To look back on my life, I consider myself to be a very lucky person to be where I am in my life today. For instance, when I was youngster, I almost drowned, and luckily was saved otherwise I wouldn’t be here to tell you so. Not long after I turned twenty-one years I was caught in a truck fire which exploded. I was lucky to escape and recover from the mental torment of almost being fried alive.
From early twenty years old to my early forties, I served as a police officer for the State of Queensland protecting the citizens of the State. In my early forties I undertook an emotional and stressful change to my life by having a pacemaker implanted. This resulted in tumbling down a deep black hole of depression for a couple of years.
Rising from the ashes I changed course in my life to become an alcohol and drug counsellor. This direction was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to my previous life as a police officer.
I look back on those adventures and seek solace and peace to wonder how on earth I ever survived. Without experiencing this life’s journey I would never be able to write the stories I now write.
My wish in life is to help others. I think that wish has always helped me through life. If one of my books can help another human being overcome their difficulties forced upon them at anytime; I am satisfied to have been a cog in the huge wheel of life.
Word count: 445
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120881.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 43:

The Connection

The art of writing has been around since Adam shared the apple with Eve. Apart from speech, it has been the next best thing for communicating with one another.
With technology, such as the internet, mobile phones, and any other gadget to connect with one another, there is no reason why any person cannot be connected.
Take for instance Facebook. More than three quarters of people living today are connected to facebook. This is a programme to use as a social network linking people together through words, photographs, video, and any other electronic device.
Speaking of myself I have a facebook page. This page acts as a marketing tool to inform readers of various books I write and publish. Recently I developed a Facebook Author Page to illustrate the method I use to write a book taking the reader on a journey of my writing career.
It’s a simple process of sharing my story with outsiders who obviously share a common interest in the power of words. The major reason I use facebook and more particularly the author page, is to connect people to my facebook page and in turn hope they purchase a book I’ve written.
It’s fascinating to link to a friend and when they accept or hit the ‘like’ button on your writing, the message connects with all of their friends on their facebook page.
Let me share with you how I became so engrossed with facebook. Before I registered on facebook, my family were always begging me to register because they were already registered. My reason for not being connected was because I didn’t understand the programme.
After seeing an interview with the author of the book ‘Facebook – the social network’ I decided to see the movie. This movie was one of the best I’d ever seen. Afterwards I went and purchased the book and read it.
Since reading the book and seeing the movie I am an avid user of the programme. It is the best thing since sliced bread and I doubt if there is any other programme available to connect such a broad scope of people in this way.
My grandson is twelve years old. He uses facebook to keep in touch with his friends. To become a friend he sent me a message so I could link his facebook page with mine. Now we communicate through the message system where only he and I share what we write. This is the perfect connection for grandson and grandfather.
Word count: 420

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Thank you dub. Here is the post for today: 'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 44:

The Promise.

I am an alcoholic. On the 13th January 1977 I had my final drink of alcohol. Here is the story. Often I am asked ‘how’ I beat alcoholism. It’s quite simple – stop drinking alcohol. It’s similar if you want to lose weigh – keep your mouth shut. There’s a little more to stop drinking alcohol than stop drinking.
The greatest love of all is the love we have from our parents. From as young as I can remember I loved my father and mother, more particularly my father, I suppose because of the macho image. Research tells us from the age of six years we begin our behavioural patterns to guide us through our life.
In my case, my father is also an alcoholic – he’d never admit he has a problem, however, from my life experiences, he is an alcoholic.
Growing up with an alcoholic father played a huge part in the behavioural patterns in my life. I learned to become a people pleaser or more exact, a rescuer. When I look back at the time of learning these habits, I still continue to see my father drunk, abusing my mother and my sisters.
To soothe the situation I’d make my father a steaming hot cup of coffee and see him drink a mouthful of coffee than drink a mouthful of cold beer. It was ludicrous for any human being to do such a thing.
Each Saturday night became a repeat from the previous Saturday night.
He arrived home from the hotel totally plastered and feeling self pity. I continued to serve him the steaming hot coffee and see him perform his usual ritual of drinking the coffee and then the beer.
Growing up with a father like this person who failed to show any love or affection caused me to mirror his actions when I became a father and husband. I played a similar role to that of my father, but did not become abusive or threatening as he had done.
On the morning of the 13th January 1977 my wife gave me an ultimatum, I either do something about my drinking or she was going to leave and take our two children with her. I didn’t realise the significance of the ultimatum until I made her a promise. I promised I would never drink alcohol again. I haven’t touched a drop since that day. It didn’t stop me from being a dry drunk.
It took another twenty years before I realised how significant the behaviour of my father’s drinking had on my growing up to witness his drunken behaviour.
At aged forty-five years old I learned to change my behaviour I learned from my father’s drinking; to become responsible and accountable for my own actions.
Without making the promise to my wife, I would never have enjoyed the life I’ve had. It would take another lifetime for my wife to again trust me.
Word count: 489
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:44 pm

'Awesome - OMR - Stories' - Page 45:

Come Back To Me.
Letter or Monologue:

Cyril we spoke on the telephone the other night, somehow we were disconnected. You mentioned Jean is unwell and you, yourself haven’t been in the best of health. I’m sorry to hear this sad news.
Remember the time we met. It was back in 1972, in May of that year. I bought my new wife to live in Stanthorpe. You worked at the Ambulance Station and me across the road at the Police Station.
We’d been called to a farm where a young fellow hung himself. He’d been in Australia only a short time and missed his homeland. I held him whilst you severed the cord from around his neck. We lay him on a stretcher and transported him to the morgue.
We’ve been friends since that day, thirty-nine years. We’ve certainly crossed a few dry gullies together since then. Life has its ups and downs and as you would be aware of the many you, yourself have suffered and presently still continue to suffer. I still find it hard to believe you need to inject insulin four times per day to arrest your diabetes. It must be tough.
And poor Jean, you told me before we were disconnected she’d suffered three heart attacks and is unable to speak. This is terrible news. She is your soul mate, Cyril.
My life has gone on since I lost the one and only woman I ever loved. It’s been eight years since she passed on after losing her fight with cancer.
Actually, I thought at the time I’d never recover from losing her, but now have met another person very similar in personality. I’m in love again Cyril and never thought it was possible to love two people in one’s lifetime. They each are so similar in personality and habits. You’d swear I’d been with the one person for thirty-one years, yes Cyril we were married thirty-one years when I lost her, and then after a couple of years find another person so similar to continue my life. It frightens me at times.
I have a wonderful life.
Come back to me Cyril when you can and we’ll finish the conversation we were having on the telephone. If things get too tough think of the many times we sat around the kitchen table at Stanthorpe playing canasta when the temperature outside was below zero. We hungrily ate the pikelets you cooked so well.
Until then my friend remember I will always be there for you and Jean.
Word count: 425
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 pm

'Brilliant - OMR - Stories' - Page 1:

A Dog’s Life

Two small porcelain dogs, sat on top of the mantle piece faced one another with their noses pointed in the air.
‘Do you know the story behind those dogs, grandpa,’ asked the child.
‘I do – would you like to hear their tale?’
‘Yes, please, yes,’ the child said flashed a smile to make his grandfather’s heart swell with pride.
‘I can only tell you what I’ve been told. Grandma’s uncle, great uncle Eddie, told me after your great grandmother’s funeral, the two dogs passed down to your grandma, because she is the eldest in the family.’
‘Why was that?’ The child queried.
‘Great uncle Eddie told me the dogs originally belonged to your great grandmother’s - great grandmother who lived in England in the early 1800’s. How she obtained the two dogs is a mystery.’
‘Go on grandpa, I’m interested.’ The small boy said.
‘From what I can make from great uncle Eddie, these two dogs were packed in a packing case for their voyage from Mother England to Australia. On the way, the ship sank when going through rough weather.’
‘Was great grandma’s – great grandmother on the ship with the dogs?’
‘Yes, she and the other passengers were rescued but the two dogs were lost at sea and went down with the cargo on the ship.’
‘How did they find them?’
‘After a hundred years they were found in the hull of the ship and sent to Australia. Uncle Eddie says they’re cursed. I don’t know. Your grandma had them handed to her after her mother died and now they’re here because we have been given them to take care of.’
‘What do you think will happen with them?’
‘I suppose after I join your grandma, they will be handed down to your mother, and then onto you. I hope you take good care of them because they have been in the family a very long time.’
‘I will grandpa, hope I don’t have to look after them for many years to come. You look after them as long as you can, please.’
‘I will, I promise you.’
Word count: 355
TO READ THESE STORIES CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270499

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter