• Advertisement

Crawley vs Wimbledon

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: League Two

Postby smug » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 pm

It' was great to see Crawley Town FC won against the Silkmen (Macclesfield Town) last Saturday 13/08. :scarf
Two goals to nil presumably we get 2 points for that match :scratch
Betting odds were a bit short sided 2/1 for a win :thumbsdown you might have got 20/1 for betting on a four nil win :banana
In my opinion we will see much less of the trouncing scores we saw the :reddevils produce last season with stronger teams to beat :punch
We can still do it (it's in the lap of the gods) :youreds

For this message the author smug has received thanks: 7
abcdef, Djody Pieter, dub, gonzo, lal, Mary, zappa
smug
Support
Support

Have thanks: 129 times
Highscores: 1

Advertisement

Postby steveizy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Sorry everybody for my absence. Everything has been rather hectic here as the construction of my "Supershed" has been taking all my time! More about the Supershed will follow in another article. Back to football!

Crawley 2 Macclesfield 0

Crawley's first league home match took place last Saturday in front of a disappointingly small crowd at The Broadfield. Macclesfield looked and played rather negatively almost as if they were there for damage limitation rather than play a game of football :thumbsdown Their tactics held us back and the first half ended goalless although Crawley had a few chances. The second half proved better as Crawley pushed forward. Soon the deadlock was broken when Tyrone Barnett put us ahead in the 57th minute. In the 75th minute Wesley Thomas, on as a substitute for Tubbs, sealed our three points. The low crowd of about 2300 hardly made any noise but we came away with our first league victory. Ho Hum.

Crawley 3 Southend 0

This was a stark contrast to the boring Macclesfield match. Reasonable sized crowd of 3220 including 975 away supporters who were initially very vocal made for a great atmosphere. In the first half both teams worked hard but to no avail. HT 0-0. The teams seemed evenly matched.

The second half was what football is all about. Fantastic entertainment from great football. The first Crawley goal was either brilliant or a fluke but it changed the game. Dean Howell sent in what appeared to be a high cross from the left wing to no-one in particular that had their goalkeeper as confused as the crowd. The next I saw of the ball was as it came down into the top corner of the goal (my view was obstructed by the stadium roof) :applause Either Deano had intended to lob the misplaced goalie or a wild cross serendipitously came right. Who knows :lol: A goal is a goal and from that moment Crawley dominated with The Broadfield really buzzing.

Soon after Tubbs and Barnett were both fouled in the penalty area in the same move and the Ref pointed straight to the spot :yes

Tubbs whacked home the penalty to make it 2-0 and to get his first league goal and a few minutes later he grabbed his second when he headed home from another Howell cross.

This win against worthy opposition puts Crawley in second place, albeit only after 3 games, in league 2.

In answer to Bulldog, yes some of the teams we will play will be stronger but some will in actual fact be weaker. There is probably not much difference between the bottom half of League 2 and the top half of the Blue Square Premier. This is illustrated by the Blue Square being a "graveyard" of ex-league sides who cannot get out :banghead

Two wins, one draw, second in the table with a healthy goal difference - I'm happy :yum
COYR!

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 6
51D, dub, gonzo, lal, Mary, zappa
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Postby steveizy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 am

Torquay 1 Crawley Town 3

Crawley are top of League 2 on goal difference after they outclassed a fancied Torquay at Plainmoor.

Scott Davies opened for The Reds after just 4 minutes with an amazing volley from 25 yards following a rebound from the Torquay wall off a Howell free-kick. The first half was all Crawley and the score could easily been 4! Just before HT, Charlie Wassmer headed home from a Davis corner.

The second half started well for The Reds as Josh Simpson headed in from a Howell cross in the 46th minute. Torquay were given a consolation goal when the ball rebounded around in front of Crawley's goal. Charlie Wassmer won the ball and attempted to whack it away only for it to rebound off Mansell and straight into the net :duh This was on one of the few occasions in the whole match where Crawley were under any pressure. Torquay had a bit more of the play after the gift but it didn't last long and Crawley soon took charge and continued to threaten more goals until the whistle.

With Rotherham only managing a draw at Barnet, Crawley move to the top of the table with a goal difference of 7 and 10 points from 4 games. Rotherham and Gillingham also have 10 points but have scored less goals in their wins.

After only 4 games played, it is far too early to make predictions, although this hasn't stopped the bookies and the press, but the season and League football have started well :cheers

Next up is the re-arranged Crystal Palace Carling cup tie at Selhurst Park on Tuesday which we could win on present form :shock: , then away in the League to mid-placed Cheltenham Town on Sat 27th August. Our next home match is against Bristol Rovers on Saturday 3rd Sept.
:scarf :scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :mexican :crawleyscarf :reddevils

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 5
abcdef, Djody Pieter, lal, Mary, zappa
steveizy
Support
Support

Carling Cup

Postby steveizy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Crystal Palace 2 Crawley 0

Unfortunately we didn't dump them out of the cup as planned :no but Crawley put in a good performance particularly in the first half. At half time, The Reds were unlucky to go in 0-0 after several chances were missed, the best being a shot from Josh Simpson turned around the post brilliantly by their keeper.

After the break, it was a different story although they started brightly with Barnett beating their keeper only to see his shot come out from the inside of the post. But The Eagles soon put paid to any further Crawley threats with two goals, both from Zaha, in the 54th and 58th minutes. Crawley pushed for the rest of the game and the Eagles dug in.

They were beaten by the better side but I think The Reds can come away fairly happy with the way they played, especially early on.

Great atmosphere, 8901 of which we took 1855 including me and Carol :-D

Saturday sees the more important business of the league come back into focus as we travel to Cheltenham who are presently in 12th place. They have a mixed record after 4 games, winning one and losing one - both home and away :?

I think The Reds will bounce back from the cup defeat and will be hungry for this one :thumbsup

:scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks:
brillo
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Cheltenham 3 Crawley 1

The Reds were beaten by the better side on the day as they crashed to a Robins first half offensive that had the game won after 45 minutes. We started well and had Cheltenham under pressure from the whistle. Charlie Wassmer almost scored before things started to go horribly wrong for The Reds. As Charlie's attempt was cleared, the Cheltenham attack ripped through us on the counter attack with Mohamed finding the Crawley net on 22 mins.

Things got worse after Pack got another at 31 mins and then Goulding got another at 39 mins. Oh dear. Trailing by 3 goals at half-time is not a nice position to be in :no

Steve Evans made all three of his allowed substitutions at half-time, bringing on new signing Doughty in place of Davies, Wilson on for Akpan and Tubbs for Thomas. This is a risky strategy for any manager but clearly Steve had seen enough of the first half team to make this decision that literally meant Crawley had nothing in reserve.

The second half started better for The Reds and it wasn't long before we got a goal back. Barnett was fouled in the box and the Ref eventually awarded a penalty which Tubbs converted in the 52nd min to give some hope of a Reds fightback. We knocked on their door a few times but we were unable to convert any chances. In fact, on a couple of occasions it was Cheltenham who came closest to making it 4-1.

Poor day at the office for Crawley who sink to 3rd place in the table on goal difference.

I heard an interview with Steve Evans after the match and he is not a happy man. If I was a player, I would be dreading tomorrow's training session :censored

Can we bounce back from this? Yes, and we'll learn from it too :yes

Tuesday sees us play Southend in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. We beat Southend here in Crawley recently, but we are away to them this time and, maybe, are not as invincible as we thought.
:scarf COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 4
Djody Pieter, dub, lal, Mary
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby goodtimesdisco » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:25 pm

I suppose that this unbeaten record had to slide at some time :-D With season just kicked off (excuse the pun :rotfl ) Best not read to much into these recent defeats it's early days :thumbsup Crawley are just getting into the stride and like you mentioned steveizy after a good dressing down in training, that'll put things back on course :scarf
The bookies have been on offering bets that the REDS will leap a whole division this season, if nothing else it's sure going to be an exciting time.
The pressure is on Come On u Reds

For this message the author goodtimesdisco has received thanks: 6
abcdef, Djody Pieter, dub, lal, Mary, zappa
goodtimesdisco
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 104 times

Postby steveizy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Big Al wrote:I suppose that this unbeaten record had to slide at some time :-D With season just kicked off (excuse the pun :rotfl ) Best not read to much into these recent defeats it's early days :thumbsup Crawley are just getting into the stride and like you mentioned steveizy after a good dressing down in training, that'll put things back on course :scarf
The bookies have been on offering bets that the REDS will leap a whole division this season, if nothing else it's sure going to be an exciting time.
The pressure is on Come On u Reds

Yea, I think they'll bounce back against Bristol Rovers at The Broadfield next Saturday but some changes will, no doubt, be made.

We played poorly but at least we didn't lose 8-2, like Arsenal did to Man Utd at Old Trafford this afternoon :lol:

For this message the author steveizy has received thanks: 4
abcdef, Djody Pieter, dub, Mary
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY