• Advertisement

Crawley vs Wimbledon

Founded 5th century
Borough status 1974

"I Grow and I Rejoice"
  • Author
Re: Crawley Town!

Postby steveizy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Not being lazy today ;) - just got back from The Broadfield after a very entertaining match played out in glorious sunshine in front of just over 3000 fans.

Crawley 4 Rushden and Diamonds 0

Matt Tubbs scored after 34 and 62 mins from close range and again on 83 minutes from a header. In the last minute of play, substitute Jamie Cook drove an amazing shot in from 25 yards that had Rushden's keeper Evans completely beaten. This really was one of those classic goals, as good as you'll see anywhere in the world.

Great to see Matt Tubbs in action again, his presence and work rate is amazing. He fully deserved his hat-trick (his third this season) as well as "Man of the Match". This takes him to 36, not counting cup goals - just those in the league! I'm not sure if this is a record but he deservedly is in top scorer place, 13 goals clear.

Talking about records and I love talking about them, there are some more on the cards for Crawley this season:-

Today's win sees Crawley equal the record for points - 101 , with 2 games to go, potentially 107.

Most wins in a season 31. Crawley are on 30 with two games left.

Fewest defeats 3. Crawley also have 3 so can equal if they don't lose.

Highest goal difference 63. Crawley are on 62 so could equal or beat.

Longest unbeaten 28. Crawley matched that today.

The next match is a tough one away against Newport County on Easter Monday. Newport were the last team in the Blue Sq. to beat us and that was at The Broadfield. Don't forget though, the following week we went there and dumped them out of the FA Cup :lol:

Newport are going to throw everything at us. Theoretically they could still make the play-offs but realistically this seems unlikely. They'll want revenge over the cup and a scalp. So an interesting match with a lot riding on it beckons :D

COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Have thanks: 482 times
Highscores: 2

Advertisement

Postby steveizy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm

The Reds go into the record-books with their defeat of Newport County by a single goal :D

Newport County 0 Crawley 1

A game that was mostly Crawley, but saw a couple of serious threats from Newport was deadlocked until the 68th minute when Dean Howell blasted into the net. Nice to see Dean on the scoresheet - he really works hard and has done so much towards Crawley's season.

The last 20 or so minutes were a bit tense with records riding on this and we had a scare or two as Newport pushed forward. This left holes in their defence though and Crawley were unlucky a couple of times in the last part as they took control.

The score remained 0-1 until the final whistle.

Crawley have beaten the record of points... now104!
Crawley are the longest unbeaten... now 29 games!
Crawley have equaled most wins in a season... now 31!
Crawley have equaled highest goal difference...now 63!
Crawley can equal fewest defeats which is 3 if they don't lose on Saturday to York, at The Broadfield!

What a fantastic season 8-)

I shall be at The Broadfield on Saturday for the final game which promises to be thrilling. Crawley have two records left to make theirs and one to equal. York, having missed the play-offs and with nothing to lose, will do everything they can to spoil the party :lol:

COME ON YOU REDS!
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby steveizy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 am

Crawley 1 York 1

The final game of the season nearly ended in disaster for record-breaking already promoted Crawley and the party was so nearly spoilt!

A dangerous York cross into the goal mouth saw David Hunt try to put the ball out for a corner. As it happens Crawley keeper Shearer had it covered but was beaten by his own man and we found ourselves a goal down from Hunt's own-goal after just 5 minutes of play. This stunned the Crawley crowd into silence for a few minutes!

This unfortunate score was totally against the run of play and Crawley continued to threaten York for the remainder of the half but to no avail.

This all changed when in the 65th minute, Levi Mackin fouled Craig McAllister inside the box and the Referee pointed straight to the spot! Tubbs converted the penalty for his 40th overall goal of the season amid wild cheering and jubilation from the home end! Crawley continued to push forward after that and were unlucky not to score twice more. So the result was a draw, with Crawley scoring both goals.

Crawley ended the season with a record 105 points and the longest unbeaten at 30 games. They have equaled most wins in a season 31, equaled highest goal difference 63 and fewest defeats 3.

Not a bad season :D ... hope to be back in July when pre-season friendlies are played and then to report on our quest in League 2 next season. This has been dubbed "Project Promotion phase 2" as pundits are already saying that Crawley, with their present side are capable of taking that league by storm and achieving back-to-back promotion 8-) Time will tell but Steve Evans has announced that he is going to sign some new players to strengthen an already strong side. He also expects to break club record transfer fees in the process!

Thanks for reading this season and see you next!

Steve.
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby smug » Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 pm

The Fixtures Board is Blank :? this is just the beginning :D & I'm still celebrating...Come on you REDS
smug
Support
Support

Have thanks: 129 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 pm

bulldog wrote:The Fixtures Board is Blank :? this is just the beginning :D & I'm still celebrating...Come on you REDS

The board won't be blank for long... They'll be some juicy friendlies this summer methinks! I wonder if Man U will send an eleven down for a return match as was hinted after the epic FA Cup tie?

This is indeed the beginning of a new era for Crawley and no amount of celebrating is deemed enough - we will celebrate all next season and then some more :D

Crawley Town are the guests of honour at the FA Cup final, where at half-time they will be presented with the Ronnie Radford trophy for the giant-killing of Derby County. This is the first time this award has been made and Crawley emerged top from online votes. I'm sorry but I meant to put a link up at the time but it was during one of my computer problem spells. http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompeti ... er-crawley gives the details.

Also, it will be interesting to see who Crawley sign and lose as the transfer season is upon us.

Interesting times...
steveizy
Support
Support

Postby dub » Tue May 10, 2011 7:34 pm

So it looks good then hmmm :? Whats the best outcome next season then? maybe leap a whole division :P
dub
Admin
Admin

Have thanks: 409 times
Highscores: 1

Postby steveizy » Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 pm

dub wrote:So it looks good then hmmm :? Whats the best outcome next season then? maybe leap a whole division :P

That is indeed the plan :D The bookies have them as favourites at something like 5:1 to win league 2 next season! Pressure or what!
steveizy
Support
Support

PreviousNext

Return to CRAWLEY