mzawf.org • View topic - Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.
Login

• Advertisement

Rons Rambles. Dorset, England.

Good Holiday Destinations!
:mz
Forum rules
Write about those good places you visited on holiday.
  • Author

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm

The wet Hoof (part two) down in Dismal Dorset, up and out, into the great squelch (I don`t mind I nice squelch!) so wet, rain is heavy and constant.
Togged up proper this dark morn, got my fishing attire on, from head to foot. I don`t have anything to report that I haven't told you about before, so really I will tell you why I do it! Three reasons come to mind. Fitness and freshness, I get fitter by the day doing this, with the aid of a new diet I have shifted 18 pounds, and I am now within 3 pounds of my target weight, and 12 days early, so right on track. Being out and active in early fresh wakes one up, and clears one`s mind, it`s away from all the electronic distractions, and I get a natural "burn and buzz". When it is possible I like to investigate new areas and even in a small but ancient village like this there are masses of things to uncover, given time, but the real reason I do this, well it's simple, to stay in touch with myself, and to look both backwards and then forwards, and as I do seem "young" for my years, I have much to do, and this one is for Amy,Top o` the Morning! :duke

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 4
dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 63 times

Advertisement

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Had to fit in some more Hoofs today. being Christmas and all, I combined them with other duties, Took a fast hoof, down to the river on a hunch, and found myself breaking into an involuntary run , good grief my body was taking over and giving itself a workout, and it was fluid and easy, so that will have to be added to the routines, got to the riverside at Fisherbridge, and floods everywhere, looking bad with more rain forecast. Some houses just had deep standing water in the gardens,and right up to the doors, sandbags are now being deployed. This at the seasonal peak of festivities, bless them all. will look again before dawn. :xmas

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 pm

The pleasant Hoof.
Out and away, under a sky full of stars, and mild dry walking conditions, soon into my stride, The Jordan was back in it's banks, but the sandbags must stay awhile yet, more rain anticipated, fingers crossed for the riverside homes and families. A few souls out early this morning, a chap who was probably twenty years younger than I was "jogging" well I was walking faster than that, as I overtook him he looked miffed! But all power to him at least he was out there , having a go. Along a piece was a rather nice lady. Walking the dog, she bid me good morning, with a pleasant smile, and I admit to affecting my deepest most sonorous voice to return the compliment, pushing on, a fox bounded across the road, perhaps only thirty yards ahead, straight from one driveway into another and gone. That`s about as eventful as it get's here, although I have been invited to the pub this evening, I said I might go, but I know how these things pan out. After a few pleasantries, the questions will be fired in , they want to hear stuff about Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious and if I`m lucky Son House and Lowell Folsom, If I feel chippy, I may attend, perhaps! Well breakfast beckons, this hoof is for Sara, her birthday, just two days ago, all of you have a great day. :cake

dub, mzawf, Nevis, wired
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Walked out in dry weather, came back in constant drizzle, the river level is down and that is good news, but for how long? Love that massive Duck, still bright and twinkle , twinkle, not a single soul around this early morn. Back to my past present and perhaps future, coming from a sporting family, it was given that I would participate, and the gentle , patient instruction I had from my Mum`s side... of the family, in soccer and cricket, contrasted with my pa`s dad, the naval officer! I was recruited into his sea cadet`s, and was it rough!! To be issued with over large boxing Gloves at age seven and pushed into a makeshift ring, well it was`nt my idea of a wonderful tuesday evening, I tried my best and got through the ordeal, somehow, but it was back next week for more of the same, I knew that if I told my parents, they would pull me out of the cadets, and I wanted to be part of it, so I did the thing, and fought back hard, and became a sort of mascot, now that was dangerous, I kept getting pushed forward an evil cycle had started. Relate more on the morrow, tip my hat! :duke

What a mornin` Gales, with a bit of rain mixed in, I was joined on this jaunt by a fellow hoofer, and as the bins were emptied this holiday week on a Saturday, we had a chance to marvel at the alcohol imbibed by the good citizens of this Dorzett parish! Bottles galore, ok it is Christmas, only one soul about a lady sorting her rubbish in her nightdress out in her drive! Brave soul, the river levels are now about normal, and we noted it was running much clearer, a good sign! The Boxing? Well it went on for a few more years, but as a grammar school boy, proficient in many sports, and with an array of lovely young maids on my arm, I was a centre of resentment amongst this mad array of young thugs, they particularly hated that my Grandad was a teacher at Eton College, and that I participated in the sport of rowing, at Maidenhead Rowing Club, the two did not mix!! In truth rowing was just as tough as the boxing, but with much better team mates. But I digress, we stomped back to my place in good order, for coffee, Top o` the morning to you all! :thumbsup

For this message the author Ron has received thanks: 3
dub, mzawf, Nevis
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 pm

The start of the waning Moon, very chilly indeed, strode out in a healthy brisk style. Right on the corner, of the valley Rd and Mission Hall Lane, I froze, not with the cold. Right there just about 10 feet away was a small deer, it clocked me and moved off without real haste into the shrubs at the side of the garden it was in. Not wishing to spook such a lovely gentle creature, I slowly continued on my way, and did not stare at the hiding place. Whilst these encounters are not rare, they are still heart stopping when they occur. The rest of this "hoof" will now seem commonplace, the Wessex Water van drove by, off to check his cocks, valves etc, the old lady was still loitering by the village pond, and Hardy's Mill still presided over it's lane, all was quiet, and it was back to the cottage for breakfast. Greetings and Salutations From Dorzett. :wave

51D, dub, mzawf, Nevis
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 am

My Eyes Watered up, the moment I stepped out of my door, as I reached my gate tears were rolling down my cheeks, no worry I`m not a star crossed lover, just caught in a keening east wind , dry and cold, exactly what the weatherman promised last night. He also mentioned snow, no sign of that yet! Of course no frost on the cars or roofs, dry winds do not produce Jack Frost, so safe underfoot, just as well, I wanted to get a move on, loitering and staring was not the order of the day...............There were no other takers about this early morn, but the cold did not hinder the birds, they were all fully on song, and mr fox put in an startled showing as we came face to face in M.h.lane! Two days ago it was a large black cat following me down here, now a fox turning tail and scarpering!!,,,,,,,,,,,,The ducks were not in situ at the millpond, too early? too cold? who knows, I just knew I had wings on my feet out here , my days as a sprinter have suddenly revived! I shadow boxed past the Mill, music for today.....Harold Land and Quintet on a classic slab of hard bop "The Fox"" of course, or the blues opus "I ain`t superstitious, black cat just crossed my trail" it all is relevant, to a pre dawn "hoof" in this corner of frozen Wessex, so I bid you top `o the mornin` from Dorzett, love and salutations. :duke

dub, mzawf, Nevis
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Bowleaze early chill out!! Off from a warm cottage, direct into the continued blast of freezin` Russian weather, this is set to last well into next week. Out even earlier this mornin`even before the songbirds, did Plaisters and Mission Hall at a fast clip, returned by the cottage in a record time, so with loads of energy in the tank set off south!!............down the unmade road, thankfully now without puddles, and hit the Cove in no time at all! My legs were freezing by now, top half was well wrapped warm, but I must invest in some new long johns, anyway down here now, in the dark and alone, went out on the boat jetty, and looked back, let me explain Bowleaze Cove to you.......................It sounds like something out of Cornish novel of byegone days, and in yonder yore it was indeed a smugglers cove, dealing in wine brandy , applejack, and other luxury goods brought over from France, in the dead of night, but in the dead of night in the here and now, it is a bit of a jumble, Showman`s rides alongside, the strange way the River Jordan meets the sea, it spreads out over rocks, and tumbles into the sea, very odd.................there is a award winning chippy, a pub right on the beach, a rather good supermarket. an indoor swimming pool, open all year round,along with dodgem rides, ferris wheel and all the fun of the fair!! All very out of character with the other village just one mile away, but of course, the cove, only really comes to life in that brief thing called the English Summer, in the rest of the year it is a forlorn mothballed relic, waiting for it`s spring it nudge into life again! Now very frozen I get chugging through the gears, back home for a hot drink, from Dorzett to you all , with love. Top `o the morning!! :duke

dub, mzawf, Nevis
Ron
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Favs